Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing Rear Speakers in a 2006-2010 GX

(Using an EX rear tray)

See the separate postings for instructions for removing the back seat cushions, rear tray and top shield.

No photographs are included in this post because there is a 6-photo limit. See my album “Joe’s 2009 GX Photos” for all the photos. Note that they are displayed in the album in reverse order. 135 is at top left, 112 is at bottom right.

The EX rear tray comes with the third brake-light assembly, all mounting clips and both speaker grilles. Cost is about $50 from a discount parts supplier, but the shipping cost can be prohibitive ($45-80), so it may be cheaper to buy from your local Honda dealer for $64 retail.

Remove each speaker grille (from the underside) by pressing on the three tabs toward the front of the tray, then push the four tabs on the outside edge and back edge of the grille. Photo 112.

There is some interference at the center child-seat attachment loop. Trim some material from the back slide of the opening in the tray. Photo 113. I used a Dremel tool with a cut-off blade, though a sharp knife will work.

Remove the clip on the driver’s side of the tray between the center of the tray and the speaker opening. This clip is not used on the GX tray. Photo 114.

On a workbench (or the floor), place the rear tray on the top shield. The three child-seat attachment loops will help with alignment. Push the four forward clips into the corresponding holes. Put masking tape on the shield approximately where the speaker will go. Place a speaker-mounting ring on the top shield with one edge close to the curved depression at the outer back part of the shield. Photo 115. Place the speaker grille loosely in place. Look through the grille and align the speaker mounting ring to the opening in the grille. Photo 116. A flashlight will make it easier to see the ring. Remove the grille and on the shield, mark the inner circle of the ring. This will indicate the metal to be removed for magnet clearance. Repeat this process for the second speaker.

Remove the rear tray from the top shield. With the speaker mounting rings in place, mark on the top shield where to drill the holes to install the rings. Note that any holes at the rear of the shield and toward the center of the driver’s side may also have to be drilled through the body sheet metal. I recommend avoiding drilling holes in these locations. Photos 117, 118.

Drill the speaker mounting-ring holes. Using a 5-inch holesaw ($50), cut out the two speaker-magnet clearance holes. The clip hole that is in the driver’s side of the shield can be used to guide the hole saw, but the blade will tend to wander, since the hole is larger than drill bit. This is why the hole I cut on the driver’s side is not round. The clip hole on the passenger side is not centered in the hole, so I made it larger and used a block of wood screwed to the shield to guide the drill bit. Also, since the area to be cut is not flat, I used a cut-off wheel and a Dremel tool to finish the cutting. Photo 119. Sand the edges smooth. To prevent rust, paint the edges. Photos 120, 121.

Install the mounting rings. I used #6 machine screws with flat washers and lock nuts to install the rings. Photo 122. Test fit the speakers. Photo 123.

Prepare the speaker wires. The factory wires are in the harness behind the rear driver’s side door, under the upper cushion. Remove the tape covering. Photo 124, 125. Splice the wires and install connectors. I decided to cut the factory wires, since I know there is no OEM harness for the speaker connections. Photo 126. I used the wiring adapters that came with the speakers.

Reinstall the shield. Photo 127. Because I cut through one mounting hole, only 20 bolts go back in. Install the speakers. I had an interference problem with the driver’s-side speaker and the body sheet metal. This is visible at the left side of the cutout in the photograph. Photo 128. I can think of three possible solutions--move the cutout closer to the door, cut off the sheet metal or bend the sheet metal down. I took the easy route and bent the sheet metal with pliers. Connect the wires to the speakers, noting the correct polarity.

The rear tray needs trimming, since the EX tray is longer in the front by about 4 inches. This creates interference with the GX seat-cushion mounting tabs. I cut off the lower part of the tray, 1 3/8 inches below the bottom of the openings of the child-seat attachment covers. Photo 129, 130, 131. I used an air saw. A jigsaw or a hacksaw will also work. It may be possible to cut around the areas of interference instead of cutting all the way across, but there are all kinds of tabs sticking out the back, and these would have to be cut off, too.

The center child-seat attachment sticks up higher in the GX than in the EX, so the cover will not close. Photo 132. For now, I will live with it. I can think of four fixes—remove the cover, cut a hole in the cover, modify the cover by heating it and forming it over the loop or cutting a hole in the cover and fabricating a patch.

Slide the rear tray in place. Note that there is a hook behind the 3rd brake light that fits into a slot in the sheet metal under the back the window. Slide the shoulder harnesses into the slots in the tray. Align the clips with the holes, and then push them in place. A fist works well. Photos 133, 134.

I added some insulation under the floor carpet, seat lower cushion and the rear tray and in the trunk area and behind the seat upper cushion. Photo 135.

Reinstall the seat cushions.

Total expenditures for the speakers, rear tray, tools, hardware, wire and connectors were about $180. The speakers I used are Infinity Reference 6001 si, with shallow magnets. Being last year’s model, they were $67, with shipping, from Crutchfield.

How do they sound? Having the rear speakers fills the interior with sound. With only front-door speakers, the sound was directional. Fading to the rear speakers only, they don’t sound as good as the front speakers. They do have more bass, so coupled with the front speakers the sound is much improved. Good enough that I don’t see a reason to replace the front speakers.

Parts list

Rear tray, atlas gray 84505-SNZ-A21ZA $49.77

C-pillar garnish clip 91561-SJD-003 $1.50

Wiring

Driver’s side positive, gray
    Driver’s side negative, brown
    Passenger’s side positive, blue
    Passenger side, negative, orange
    Last edited by John Mitton; 05-25-2010, 08:42 AM. Reason: Moderator inserted URL link to photo album

Re: Installing Rear Speakers in a 2006-2010 GX

This is soooo cool! Thank-you for your hard work and perseverance in getting the writing done! Nice pictures as well With all this info, it looks like 2 hours, tops!

Thanks again,
    Chuck J

Who wants to see another 8th Gen Civic, anyway?
    Addicted to Unique Rides

Comment

I must chime in too. Thanks joeflyer; this is very helpful for us.

Comment

WOW! seems like a lot of work, I hope you also connected an amp to those speakers to make it worth your time. I only going to have one 2-way amp connected to components for the front speakers. I will have to look into were I can put the second amp for those back speakers... Great job on the details!

Comment

The only challenging part was cutting the holes in the metal panel. The nice thing about installing the speakers this way is that the car looks stock. Thanks for the kind remarks.

Comment

I noticed in the photos, then re-read your post, and saw that you added insulation. What kind, where did you get it, and how much did it help?
            Chuck J

Addicted to Unique Rides

Comment

I used the stuff that looks like silver bubble pack from OSH. I used a similar material on my Corvette, and it seemed to help a bunch. Made the exhaust and whining differential louder, though. I can't say that it helped a lot in the Civic, but I figured as long as I had the panels and the seat out, I may as well install the stuff. I would like to put it under the front seats and behind the firewall.

Comment

Got 'er done! So cool to have the write-up. I was able the bend the center anchor point forward, so I cut less material for clearance and the cover closes all the way down.

Thanks again, Joe!
                Chuck J

Addicted to Unique Rides

Comment

Just an update to this. I just completed it and added an amp and sub in the trunk too. The rear tray is now $107 and does not come with the grills, brake light, and child clip caps. You have to buy each grill for about $20 each and you can reuse the clip covers, and brake light.

Comment

Thanks for the tip on the rear speakers, I wish I would have seen this thread 2 weeks ago.

Comment

Can't wait to try this out. Thanks for the post!

Comment

Has anyone simply added a good subwoofer in the back seat or trunk and upgraded the front speakers? I'm curious to know how that sounds. I ask because a local mobile audio store tech told me that the reason why the didn't put speakers in the rear of the GX was to reduce the risk of electrical hazards adjacent to the fuel tank.

Comment

2008 Honda Civic GX

Here's a rough breakdown of what I did. I forgot how much labor cost all together because I had my system installed in pieces....front/rear speakers + amp. Then head unit (around $100 installation) . Then subwoofer + amp. I don't think I spent more than $500 for installation cost.

First I just wanted to have front and rear speakers installed along with an amp but after it was done, it sounded a lot better but something was still missing. My sound guy suggested that I also get a head unit that had a built in equalizer which will improve the sound quality. And it did but a lot! My mids and highs sounded crisp clear perfect but it was missing some bass to balance it out. So I decided to get a subwoofer and another amp to power it and couldn't be more satisfied. 10 inch sub is perfect for me, I just wanted a balanced audio system. I think a 12 inch sub would of been trunk rattling, mirror shaking, bass to your face.

Pioneer AVH-P4400BH DVD Receiver Car Stereo - $212 used craigslist
                          Radio plastic bazel - $34.94 new shipped ebay
                          Alpine PDX-M6 Amplifier - $205 ebay new
                          alpine type r Rear speakers 6 1/2 - $50 used craigslist
                          Alpine SPR-10TW Type-R 1" COMPONENT Tweeter Set NEW $69.90 ebay
                          New Alpine Type R Crossovers (4) $30.50 ebay (I only needed 2 but auction was for 4, so I have 2 extra.)
                          Alpine Type R Component 6.5 Mids front speakers $45 used craigslist
                          JL Audio JX250/1 250W RMS, 1-Channel Monoblock - $99
                          KICKER COMPS 10" Subwoofer - $50 new craigslist

I am very happy with my setup. My head unit has an ipod cable so I can connect my iphone 4s and access all my mp3s using the stereo touch screen. Any music folders/sub folders I create on my iphone is recognized by my head unit for easy browsing and song selecting. I burn movies and music videos onto DVD...I use the program "convertxtodvd 4," I can burn 3-4 movies unto a dvd or a bunch of music videos and it'll all come up on my head unit with menu/title.

I didn't care about GPS when buying the head unit. I just wanted bluetooth, dvd, aux, ipod capabilities, and touchscreen! GPS will cost you more and updating the map software seems like a pain. I think your smartphone has the best GPS and it gets updated automatically all the time.

Comment

Wow, that sub box eats up a third of your trunk! That's actually what made me wonder about trying to use the area behind the trunk rear panel where the gas tank is, but it's kind of a weird shape so you'd definitely need something custom built, but I feel like there's a lot of cubic feet of space you could theoretically put an enclosure into. Did you consider trying one of those "stealth" sub enclosures where it sits in the recess on the right or left side of the trunk?

Comment

I did consider a custom stealth box for the sub. It would of cost a couple hundred dollars more. For the extra cost, I didn't want it bad enough. I mean I'll be spending extra money to gain some inches. Not a big cost benefit for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X