Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing Rear Speakers in a 2006-2010 GX

(Using an EX rear tray)

See the separate postings for instructions for removing the back seat cushions, rear tray and top shield.

No photographs are included in this post because there is a 6-photo limit.
    Last edited by John Mitton; 05-25-2010, 07:42 AM. Reason: Moderator inserted URL link to photo album

Re: Installing Rear Speakers in a 2006-2010 GX

This is soooo cool! Thank-you for your hard work and perseverance in getting the writing done! Nice pictures as well With all this info, it looks like 2 hours, tops!

Thanks again,
    Chuck J

Who wants to see another 8th Gen Civic, anyway?
    Addicted to Unique Rides

Comment

I must chime in too. Thanks joeflyer; this is very helpful for us.

Comment

WOW! seems like a lot of work, I hope you also connected an amp to those speakers to make it worth your time. I only going to have one 2-way amp connected to components for the front speakers. I will have to look into were I can put the second amp for those back speakers... Great job on the details!

Comment

The only challenging part was cutting the holes in the metal panel. The nice thing about installing the speakers this way is that the car looks stock. Thanks for the kind remarks.

Comment

I noticed in the photos, then re-read your post, and saw that you added insulation. What kind, where did you get it, and how much did it help?
            Chuck J

Addicted to Unique Rides

Comment

I used the stuff that looks like silver bubble pack from OSH. I used a similar material on my Corvette, and it seemed to help a bunch. Made the exhaust and whining differential louder, though. I can't say that it helped a lot in the Civic, but I figured as long as I had the panels and the seat out, I may as well install the stuff. I would like to put it under the front seats and behind the firewall.

Comment

Got 'er done! So cool to have the write-up. I was able the bend the center anchor point forward, so I cut less material for clearance and the cover closes all the way down.

Thanks again, Joe!
                Chuck J

Addicted to Unique Rides

Comment

Just an update to this. I just completed it and added an amp and sub in the trunk too. The rear tray is now $107 and does not come with the grills, brake light, and child clip caps. You have to buy each grill for about $20 each and you can reuse the clip covers, and brake light.

Comment

Thanks for the tip on the rear speakers, I wish I would have seen this thread 2 weeks ago.

Comment

Can't wait to try this out. Thanks for the post!

Comment

Has anyone simply added a good subwoofer in the back seat or trunk and upgraded the front speakers? I'm curious to know how that sounds. I ask because a local mobile audio store tech told me that the reason why the didn't put speakers in the rear of the GX was to reduce the risk of electrical hazards adjacent to the fuel tank.

Comment

2008 Honda Civic GX

Here's a rough breakdown of what I did. I forgot how much labor cost all together because I had my system installed in pieces....front/rear speakers + amp. Then head unit (around $100 installation) . Then subwoofer + amp. I don't think I spent more than $500 for installation cost.

First I just wanted to have front and rear speakers installed along with an amp but after it was done, it sounded a lot better but something was still missing. My sound guy suggested that I also get a head unit that had a built in equalizer which will improve the sound quality. And it did but a lot! My mids and highs sounded crisp clear perfect but it was missing some bass to balance it out. So I decided to get a subwoofer and another amp to power it and couldn't be more satisfied. 10 inch sub is perfect for me, I just wanted a balanced audio system. I think a 12 inch sub would of been trunk rattling, mirror shaking, bass to your face.

Pioneer AVH-P4400BH DVD Receiver Car Stereo - $212 used craigslist
                          Radio plastic bazel - $34.94 new shipped ebay
                          Alpine PDX-M6 Amplifier - $205 ebay new
                          alpine type r Rear speakers 6 1/2 - $50 used craigslist
                          Alpine SPR-10TW Type-R 1" COMPONENT Tweeter Set NEW $69.90 ebay
                          New Alpine Type R Crossovers (4) $30.50 ebay (I only needed 2 but auction was for 4, so I have 2 extra.)
                          Alpine Type R Component 6.5 Mids front speakers $45 used craigslist
                          JL Audio JX250/1 250W RMS, 1-Channel Monoblock - $99
                          KICKER COMPS 10" Subwoofer - $50 new craigslist

I am very happy with my setup. My head unit has an ipod cable so I can connect my iphone 4s and access all my mp3s using the stereo touch screen. Any music folders/sub folders I create on my iphone is recognized by my head unit for easy browsing and song selecting. I burn movies and music videos onto DVD...I use the program "convertxtodvd 4," I can burn 3-4 movies unto a dvd or a bunch of music videos and it'll all come up on my head unit with menu/title.

I didn't care about GPS when buying the head unit. I just wanted bluetooth, dvd, aux, ipod capabilities, and touchscreen! GPS will cost you more and updating the map software seems like a pain. I think your smartphone has the best GPS and it gets updated automatically all the time.

Comment

Wow, that sub box eats up a third of your trunk! That's actually what made me wonder about trying to use the area behind the trunk rear panel where the gas tank is, but it's kind of a weird shape so you'd definitely need something custom built, but I feel like there's a lot of cubic feet of space you could theoretically put an enclosure into. Did you consider trying one of those "stealth" sub enclosures where it sits in the recess on the right or left side of the trunk?

Comment

I did consider a custom stealth box for the sub. It would of cost a couple hundred dollars more. For the extra cost, I didn't want it bad enough. I mean I'll be spending extra money to gain some inches. Not a big cost benefit for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X