Using the Dome Light as an accessory power source 2009 GX

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using the Dome Light as an accessory power source 2009 GX

I have my Motorola Roadster 2 Bluetooth Speakerphone ($55 Amazon Prime) clipped to the drivers sunshade and a 2.5” Traffic Video Camera Recorder (Amazon Prime $18) to the right of my rear view mirror. But the resulting dangling two power cords were driving me crazy. So I popped out the front dome/reading light module and found plenty of room to install the guts of the charging cords controlled by Amico 3 Pin SPDT On/Off/On 3 Position Mini Toggle Switches (Amazon Prime 4 for $3.18).
    You pry open the cigar lighter charging plugs of both devices and find little power supply circuit boards and a neat red LEDs that will glow through the light cover when the power is on. You can easily solder new wiring to the dome fixture conducting strips. The new power supply cords are easily pushed through the solid headliner to reach the devices. I have pictures I can e-mail anyone who is interested ppilot5@hotmail.com (I couldn't figure out how to attach them to this thread.
    The one downside is that the dome light fixture is powered all the time so if you leave say your camera on it stays on.

Re: Using the Dome Light as an accessory power source 2009 GX

sounds like a great idea and if your camera stays on you might just end up with a photo of the #$% that backs into your car and than takes off

Comment

Working...
    X