Installing a subwoofer in the trunk in 2012 Civic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing a subwoofer in the trunk in 2012 Civic

I was pretty disappointed in the stock sound in the 2012 Civic CNG. Because I spend so many hours a day in the car listening to music, I replaced the front door speakers with component Polk DB6501 - the A-pillar cover didn't have a mounting port for the tweeter, so I ordered a pair that fit onto a EX trim Civic to go in their place. I also replaced the rear speakers with Polk DB651S coaxial slim fit speakers (much easier than the component setup in the doors!). One thing that this setup lacks though is any strong bass -- while working with the speaker connectors over the gas tank, I had to remove the carpeted rear wall of the trunk bay that covers the tank. I noticed that there is a surprising amount of room on the left and right sides of the tank and that the wall is metal-backed instead of just cell plastic like the cover for the spare tire. There's about 10" of space from where the tank ends to the wall of the car on the right side and about 13" of space on the left, although the left side has a big gas hose from the refueling port that snakes through the space. These spaces seem like they could be used to mount two small 8" subwoofers, especially since they have that metal plate there that they could directly bolted into once a hole was cut for the speaker. What I'm wondering is if this metal wall serves a purpose safety-wise, maybe to prevent something from piercing the tank in a traffic collision? Is there a compelling reason NOT to do this?

Re: Installing a subwoofer in the trunk in 2012 Civic

I'm not exactly sure what metal/bracing you refer to, since you posted no pic, but I would suspect any metal and/or bracing in this area of the car is related to side impact structural strength for the rear passenger compartment and tank storage area.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_4586_1441434431016_578[/ATTACH]

Comment

Thanks for the response -- the metal plate is simply the rear "wall" of the trunk when you open in up, behind which lies the gas tank. It's not on the side of the car. The plate mounts to a fairly heavy duty cage that surrounds the gas tank via five bolts.

Left side of tank

Right side of tank
      http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/...ps67ea25b6.jpg

Comment

Sorry, I should have included pictures. You actually see the metal plate I'm talking about every time you open the trunk, it's the carpeted back wall of the trunk that sits in front of the gas tank. The carpeted area is backed by a large metal plate that is almost as wide as the car and is held in place by five bolts mounted on a heavy duty steel cage that surrounds the gas tank. The gas tank itself doesn't take up the entire width of the car and there are empty spaces to the left and right of it.

Here are some pictures of these empty spaces:
        Left side:

Right side:

Comment

Sorry, I should have included pictures. You actually see the metal plate I'm talking about every time you open the trunk, it's the carpeted back wall of the trunk that sits in front of the gas tank. The carpeted area is backed by a large metal plate that is almost as wide as the car and is held in place by five bolts mounted on a heavy duty steel cage that surrounds the gas tank. The gas tank itself doesn't take up the entire width of the car and there are empty spaces to the left and right of it.

I can't post attachments, but the pictures are at:
          Left side:
          i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p764/graure1/photo2_zpsf3de2e6b.jpg

Right side:
          i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p764/graure1/photo1_zps67ea25b6.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by graure View Post

I can't post attachments, but the pictures are at:
            Left side:
            i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p764/graure1/photo2_zpsf3de2e6b.jpg

Right side:
            i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p764/graure1/photo1_zps67ea25b6.jpg
            It's probably meant to be a firewall to protect the tank from a fire in the backseat area that could cause the tank to explode as it did in the arson fire in 2007 in Seattle, WA. There was a recall.
            http://www.ngvglobal.com/arsonist-sp...r-upgrade-1118
            Last edited by snewman24; 12-01-2013, 10:13 PM. Reason: Added link

Comment

Well, after getting rear-ended the other day I had a CNG safety inspection performed on my car today. Here are the items that they inspect:

Tank labels are in place
              Tank bands and frame are serviceable
              Tank frame bolts, band bolts, and nuts are serviceable
              Tank is properly aligned with its bands
              Tank cylinder is free of dents, cuts, and abrasions, and there are no signs of expansion, deformation, or overheating
              Both tank domes are free of dents, cuts, and abrasions
              In-trunk vent hoses are properly routed and securely mounted
              Under-vehicle fuel feed lines are securely mounted and free of damage or leaks
              Fuel tank relief valce (PRD) line is free of damage, and line end cap is in place
              Fuel line fittings are free of leaks
              Fuel receptacle, O-ring, and dust cap are free of damage

So with that checklist in mind, it seems that as long as I steer clear of the hoses on the left side of the tank, the metal plate in front of the tank serves no purpose with regard to safety and is probably just there to act as a back wall for the trunk area itself and I should be OK mounting some subs in it.

Comment

Working...
              X