Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2012 Civic Headrests a Pain in the Neck - Any aftermarket, adjustable options?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 2012 Civic Headrests a Pain in the Neck - Any aftermarket, adjustable options?



    Been driving my brand new 2012 Civic Natural Gas for less than a month, and I am loving it--except for one issue! The headrests are, at least for me, at a terribly forward-angled position that cannot be adjusted to a comfortable position. It's gotten so bad, during my daily commute, that I have been trying multiple seat and back cushions to alleviate the newly constant neck and shoulder strain.

    Today, I went to a Honda dealer and walked the lot, in search of a headrest from another vehicle that would fit my front driver seat, and be more upright, vs. angled so severely forward. I am tall for a woman, 5' 9", but I understand short people have issues with these "government-regulated" headrests, too. Finally found one from the back seat of an SUV, but it didn't have enough cushion on the front to be very safe in a rear-end collision.

    Dealer suggested getting that headrest and then going to an ulphosterer that does custom work on car seats, etc. and having them modify the headrest with additional padding. Well, found out the upholsterer was going to charge more than $300 for their work, on a single headrest. And that would be on top of the $80 headrest cost itself.

    I have read that others with the same issue have reversed their headrests; but that leaves no protection during a collision. What would be ideal is an after market "universal" fabric headrest that would fit my Civic securely, but be adjustable and comfortable. Any ideas of sources for such items or other solutions out there? My web searches have only turned up the headrests with the DVD players built in. I have one on order, but am not too optimistic about the fit. Looking forward to any ideas.

  • #2
    Re: 2012 Civic Headrests a Pain in the Neck - Any aftermarket, adjustable options?

    I have seen several Civics with the headrest reversed as you mentioned. If you don't feel safe with that I would keep looking for another upholsterer. $300 seems really high for that type of work. The company we use would likely do that job for under $100. I know that's not much help as we're in Utah, but I'm sure there are other upholstery shops in your area if you do some searching.

    Also, the 01-05 Civics have a more upright headrest. I'm not sure if the posts on the bottom would line up though.
    www.CNGUtah.com

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: 2012 Civic Headrests a Pain in the Neck - Any aftermarket, adjustable options?

      I find the head rest on my 2012 Civic to be perfect for me. I tried something last night that might explain why the headrest is a pain for you. I moved the seat-back forwards one click so that is was in a more vertical position. At that position, I found the headrest to shove my head too far forward and to make driving the car very uncomfortable. If you find the headrest to be too far forward, consider moving the seat-back backwards a bit so that the headrest does not push your head so far forward. If that is too much of a recline for you, consider putting a cushion in to bring you upper body forward while the car seat leaves the headrest in a more rearward position.
      _____________________________________
      '12 Blue Mist Metallic Civic Natural Gas; '03 Galapagos Green Civic GX; '07 Alabaster White Civic GX

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: 2012 Civic Headrests a Pain in the Neck - Any aftermarket, adjustable options?

        Originally posted by CNGLO View Post
        I find the head rest on my 2012 Civic to be perfect for me. I tried something last night that might explain why the headrest is a pain for you. I moved the seat-back forwards one click so that is was in a more vertical position. At that position, I found the headrest to shove my head too far forward and to make driving the car very uncomfortable. If you find the headrest to be too far forward, consider moving the seat-back backwards a bit so that the headrest does not push your head so far forward. If that is too much of a recline for you, consider putting a cushion in to bring you upper body forward while the car seat leaves the headrest in a more rearward position.
        Thanks for your reply, CNGLO. You hit the nail on the head with my neck strain issue. I am most in alignment with my neck back, legs, etc. when sitting straight up. When I put the seat back one or two notches, to get the headrest out of the back of my head constantly, I end of straining my shoulders and neck because I am no longer in proper alignment. I have tried numerous cushions with no luck so far. My neck still feels strained because the cushions are not quite as good of a back support/fit as the original seat itself. I spoke with a dealer the other day, and they recommended going to a salvage yard and picking up a used headrest for the same model year, and having a machine shop bend the posts of the headrest, so the proper seat angle can be maintained without the headrest issue. If it doesn't work, I won't have ruined the original headrest. So I'll keep trying to get resolution. Too bad, Honda, and other manufacturers don't simply make the headrests adjustable forward and backward and with angles, like some of the more "premium" cars. I'd be happy to pay the upcharge. And even if they made an adjustable headrest an option, again, I'd pay for it. The pain has been rather overwhelming with my new car that I love in every other respect.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: 2012 Civic Headrests a Pain in the Neck - Any aftermarket, adjustable options?

          The headrests in modern cars (including 2012+ Honda Civics) in last couple of years provide better safety and reduced risk of whiplash injuries.
          Sold GX

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: 2012 Civic Headrests a Pain in the Neck - Any aftermarket, adjustable options?

            Originally posted by GX-SV View Post
            The headrests in modern cars (including 2012+ Honda Civics) in last couple of years provide better safety and reduced risk of whiplash injuries.
            Yes, the unfortunate part is they cause pain and injury for a lot of people, on a daily basis. So while most people don't have a whiplash accident every day, with the 2012 Civic, and other "modern" cars, they do cause pain and strain every day. Other manufacturers provide headrests that adjust, so that the angle is still safe, yet not neck/head straining. That's all I'm asking for Honda to implement.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: 2012 Civic Headrests a Pain in the Neck - Any aftermarket, adjustable options?

              I have a 2012 ram that I had the same problem and just turned it around. My head will still be stoped in a rear end collision without what I would believe to far of a stretch backwards. Just my opinion

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: 2012 Civic Headrests a Pain in the Neck - Any aftermarket, adjustable options?

                Originally posted by NortherIllinoisChuck View Post
                I have a 2012 ram that I had the same problem and just turned it around. My head will still be stoped in a rear end collision without what I would believe to far of a stretch backwards. Just my opinion
                Thanks for the reply. Yes, I tried that, but it would not work with the Civics as the headrest angle is so sharp forward, normally, when you turn the headrest backwards, the angle would be too far reclined to be of any support in an accident. I tried putting the back seat headrests in the front, but the posts do not fit.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: 2012 Civic Headrests a Pain in the Neck - Any aftermarket, adjustable options?

                  Before I turned it around I thought I would take it out and put it in a vice and try bending it. Worst case it would break something and poke out of the headrest and have to get a new one. That would be worth the risk in my opinion with how uncomfortable it is. At least in my case

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: 2012 Civic Headrests a Pain in the Neck - Any aftermarket, adjustable options?

                    I've seen the many years of suffering that can result from bad whiplash injuries resulting from a car crash, I have a friend and co-worker who's dealing with semi-permanent pain as a result of whiplash.

                    IMHO, proper seating positioning works for me. I had a 2013 Mazda CX-5 with the same kind of modern non-adjustable headrests and some people complained about those too, but again with proper driving/seating position, no problem even though headrest was 1/2" from the back of my head. CNGLO gave some good tips on adjustments. Certainly I don't expect a mod or leader on CNGChat recommending modifying or disabling safety equipment.
                    Sold GX

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: 2012 Civic Headrests a Pain in the Neck - Any aftermarket, adjustable options?

                      Originally posted by GX-SV View Post
                      I've seen the many years of suffering that can result from bad whiplash injuries resulting from a car crash, I have a friend and co-worker who's dealing with semi-permanent pain as a result of whiplash.

                      IMHO, proper seating positioning works for me. I had a 2013 Mazda CX-5 with the same kind of modern non-adjustable headrests and some people complained about those too, but again with proper driving/seating position, no problem even though headrest was 1/2" from the back of my head. CNGLO gave some good tips on adjustments. Certainly I don't expect a mod or leader on CNGChat recommending modifying or disabling safety equipment.
                      I understand about the safety issue. And I want the headrest to be safe (1/2" from the head is fine). The issue is that the seat cannot be placed in a comfortable position (for me, at 5'9"), or provide adequate support, due to the angle of the headrest, jutting too far forward. One has to slouch back in the seat, reclining it too far backward, and with limited upper back support, to avoid having the headrest push their head forward. I may need to attach a photo, if that's an option. Anyway, thanks. It's great that your headrest is not an issue for you. But I know many others who do have problems with theirs.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X