X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curtis
    started a topic Coil Pack burn out Problem Resolved on '01-'05 Models

Coil Pack burn out Problem Resolved on '01-'05 Models

I have had the coil packs burn out several times on my 2004 GX. Both times they were replaced under warranty, thankfully. I had always imagined it was a coil pack defect of some sort... or something peculiar to that series of GX... until now.

I was recently talking with Prof. John Frala at Rio Hondo College. He runs their Alt Fuel Vehicle program there and he had the answer. My last plug replacement (some years back) I did myself, with OEM plugs, to avoid issues that often arise with other name brands. What I didn't know was that the plugs have to be torqued to 13 ft. lbs. (Specs may vary from year to year and for other models) to maintain the proper resistance and NOT burn out the coil packs.

Too tight, or too lose and the resistance changes. You will have an issue with the coils sooner or later. My problem seemed to arise at 94k mi and again at 140k mi. The prior owner had all his work done at the dealer, who should be torquing the plugs as SOP.

I hope this helps someone out there and saves you a few dollars.

I also talked to him about posting to the group when he was doing the CNG portion of his course, that members with issues might bring in their cars and have repairs made under his watchful and well educated eye. He has taken it under advisement.
    Last edited by Curtis; 09-02-2012, 11:14 PM. Reason: Incorrect torque spec originally posted.

• orangecng
    replied
    Re: Coil Pack burn out Problem Resolved on '01-'05 Models

I'm going through this process now. Stuttering, valve adjustment, coils replaced. Still stuttering. Now having head gasket replaced and being sent to machine shop. Very expensive experiment!!

Leave a comment:

• yaronof
    replied

update on my coil pack situation:
    After 2 coil packs were replaced (on cylinders 1 and 4), the car once again started to show signs of stuttering, which was the symptom that led to the replacement of the first 2 coils. This time, the mechanic (authorized Honda dealer) wound up adjusting the valves, and this solved the problem. I wonder if a valve adjustment would have saved me the replacement of very costly coils, had it been done earlier. This dealership is completely unfamiliar with LPG vehicles (ours is a converted vehicle, kit added by third party), so they might not have the experience and know-how to check this earlier. In fairness, they didn't charge us for the valve adjustment.
    I did keep one of the coil packs that was replaced. I wonder if anyone here has an opinion about trying to put it back in the car and see if it still malfunctions, now, after the valve adjustment. anyone?

Leave a comment:

• Lakewood90712
    replied

Originally posted by yaronof View Post
    Fuel prices in Israel:
    Regular unleaded petrol (95 octane) is US$7.75 per gallon [7.32 New Israeli Shekels per liter]
    Diesel is within a few cents of petrol price
    CNG is around US$3.80 per gallon [3.60 New Israeli Shekels per liter]

The prices are approximate, with the price varying from station to station, and the currency conversion rate fluctuating.

For your information...
    Yaron
    Uh, I think I am going to stop complaining about high fuel cost here in the states !

Leave a comment:

• yaronof
    replied

Of course I meant to say "NOT familiar"...

Originally posted by yaronof View Post
    I forgot to mention that the Honda Civic Natural Gas (GX) is not sold in Israel, so the dealer is familiar with CNG related issues

Leave a comment:

• yaronof
    replied

Fuel prices in Israel:
    Regular unleaded petrol (95 octane) is US$7.75 per gallon [7.32 New Israeli Shekels per liter]
    Diesel is within a few cents of petrol price
    CNG is around US$3.80 per gallon [3.60 New Israeli Shekels per liter]

The prices are approximate, with the price varying from station to station, and the currency conversion rate fluctuating.

For your information...
    Yaron

Originally posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
    Yaronof ,

Can you give us some price info on local cost for Petrol , Diesel, and CNG , converted to US dollars ?

Leave a comment:

• Lakewood90712
    replied

Yaronof ,

Can you give us some price info on local cost for Petrol , Diesel, and CNG , converted to US dollars ?

Leave a comment:

• Lakewood90712
    replied

Operation on CNG isn't harder on the coilpacks. CNG does require a near perfect ignition system , less tolerant than gasoline , NG is harder to ignite. Pull all of the coils and look for fine cracks in the cylindrical part. Replace any that have even small cracks. Best to have a good matched set on the car. Just my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• yaronof
    replied

I forgot to mention that the Honda Civic Natural Gas (GX) is not sold in Israel, so the dealer is familiar with CNG related issues

Leave a comment:

• yaronof
    replied

Hi,
    I'm not technically savvy enough to understand about torquing, but I wonder if this might be related to my story:
    In August, I had the 4 plugs replaced during scheduled service on my 2007 Honda FR-V (1.8 i-VTEC) at the Honda dealer.
    4 weeks later, one ignition coil had to be replaced. A week later, another one went...
    The car has 120K miles on it. A year ago, at around 95K I had a CNG conversion added to the car.
    I am wondering whether the ignition coils are wearing out due to this year of operating on CNG, and perhaps in combination with improper torquing during change of plugs? I wonder if when operating on CNG the coils are more sensitive to the torquing, which the dealer might not be aware of? Or is this about the right life expectancy of coils anyway (should I be expecting to replace the remaining 2 coils imminently)?
    Any light you can shed on this would be appreciated.

Thanks, Yaron.

Leave a comment:

• GX-SV
    replied

vsick - My 02 GX does the same thing only when cold after a cold start (it used to do it when warm also). At the 90K service I had plugs changed, both filters changed, coil packs checked (no signs of cracking) and valve adjusted. I wonder if it's CVT tranny studder, I'll have tranny fluid changed at next oil change/service.

Leave a comment:

• vsick
    replied

Still haven't had time to take it in yet. Right now it is bearable since I do mainly freeway. I really only feel the mis when I pull out of my drive way each morning and when I leave work. Once I get on the freeway I do not feel it and it is definitely a function of temp. Once the car is at normal temps, it doesn't mis. So only thing I can think of is that the hairline cracks are warming up and not allowing an arc to get through?

Leave a comment:

• GX-SV
    replied

vsick - What happened when you took to dealer?

Leave a comment:

• vsick
    replied

Hi Curtis,

When you had issues with the coil pack, did your civic throw a CEL? I called a local dealer and he indicated that the coil packs on my 04 are covered under warranty (had to call three before one acknowledged it would be covered), but they would have to run diagnostics on the car to prove that the packs are causing hesitation/stutter. Even if cracked, it doesn't mean they are faulty. I also noticed I am only experiencing the hesitation/stutter when the car is cold also which means I will heave to leave the car overnight. It's a bit of a trek for me to drop off the car at this particular dealer so I want to make sure it get's fixed when I do so. Any way I can prove that the coil packs are causing a problem before I drop it off?

Leave a comment:

• GX-SV
    replied

11 or 13 pounds, not sure that 1 or 2 pound difference will matter, (versus the very incorrect 26-28 pounds).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X