Compression test of 2002 Civic GX

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compression test of 2002 Civic GX

The mileage on our 2002 Civic GX seems to have gone done a little. Also, when driving to Palmdale, CA on the 14 freeway the car can barely climb some of the hills. I decided to compression test the engine and I got the numbers below. Cylinder 3 seems to have a problem. Can anybody lend some experience to this situation? Thanks a lot.

cyl 1-240 psi
    cyl 2-225 psi
    cyl 3-180 psi
    cyl 4-240 psi

Re: Compression test of 2002 Civic GX

You can check the valve lash , but if it got too small , the damage is already done. Do a cylinder leak down test to see if you find anything leaking out the intake or ex. ports , crankcase or waterjacket. If nothing found , squirt a little motor oil in 2 and 3 , re-check compression. Looks like the head will have to come off in any case.

Comment

Number 3 is outside of most industry specs. low cylinder is within 25% of the high cylinder. It is low, but I don't think enough to cause the power loss you are talking about. 180 psi is good for a gasoline engine
      As foar as the oil goes if the pressure comes over 10 to 15 psi you have a ring problem. Little increase 10 to 15 psi it is valves

Comment

Could the tranny be slipping??
        02 GX

Comment

Did you do your compression test hot or cold?

Comment

Thank you to everyone who has responded with suggestions to diagnose this engine. Your experience is invaluable.
            I did the compression test cold the first time, and again hot with a different gauge.
            The hot test had surprisingly high numbers:
            cyl 1-290 psi
            cyl 2-285 psi
            cyl 3-270 psi
            cyl 4-290 psi

These values have the same trend, but are much better. I will do a leak down test as soon as I get the tool.

How would I know if the transmission is slipping? The CVT lowers the ratio in such a way that seems like slipping all the time. When the engine is loaded, the ratio changes to bring up the revs.

Comment

Originally posted by jpatrickuci View Post
              How would I know if the transmission is slipping? The CVT lowers the ratio in such a way that seems like slipping all the time. When the engine is loaded, the ratio changes to bring up the revs.
              See the second file, A07-050.pdf for the Honda diagnosis procedure. I'm not sure how else you could know, unless it gets so bad it becomes obvious...

http://www.cngchat.com/forum/showpos...6&postcount=12
              02 GX

Comment

Working...
              X