filter wrench won't fit!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• filter wrench won't fit!

I am new to the GX (recently bought a used 2002 with 75k), and purchased genuine Honda oil and fuel filters to install. I really want to use the style of filter wrench that caps on the end of the cannister, but the standard offerings at my local parts stores don't fit the Honda filters! Both oil and low pressure fuel cannisters are the same size, but apparantly JUST off enough that the standard wrench won't fit. I tried three different brands at two different stores. Do I need to buy a special Honda brand wrench for this?

Both filters appear really hard to get to, can I do it with a standard strap wrench? Doesn't seem so, but if others say that's how they do it then I'll give it a go...

Thanks!

Re: filter wrench won't fit!

I bought the honda oem tool from one of the internet honda parts dealers can't remember if it was "h and a" or honda parts cheap. It fits both oil and cng filters like a glove. Almost impossable to change the low pressure cng filter without it. About $ 8 fits both exactly. Your dealer parts counter should be able to find it in the service tools section.

Uh, make that about $19 http://www.handa-accessories.com/civmaint01.html
    Last edited by Lakewood90712; 05-06-2011, 11:55 AM.

Comment

ok, bummer. It's not so much the cost, just that I've got all the parts (if I knew, I would have ordered the Honda wrench when I ordered all my other stuff online), got the car in the garage, and was going to do it this morning. Guess it'll have to wait a while.

Comment

Uh . . . make that about $27 with shipping. Probably better to get it locally if you really want it.

Comment

i just drove to my "local" Honda dealer, about 30 minutes away (I was down in the area anyway). They didn't have the wrench in stock, but could order it for me at full price ($25 + tax). Nice. Makes it hard to support the local business' when it's easier/quicker/cheaper to buy online, ya know?

Comment

The Honda wrench only really works with the Honda Filters. You can get plastic versions in various sizes for different filters at auto parts stores. But, they really don't work as well as the steel Honda wrench on the Honda Filters.

Comment

I had the same problem but did not want to spend the money on the official Honda version. I took a cheap one and wrapped the inside of the wrench with duct tape and it works just fine. I don't tighten the filters too tight anyway. 1/2 turn after hand tight.

Comment

i ended up getting the fuel filter off using a nylon strap style wrench like the one in the attached picture. It is the kind you wrap around the filter, then attach a socket driver to. I had the car jacked up pretty high, and used a 20" extension to get the breaker bar down under the car. I ended up having to use a LOT LOT LOT of force, on a pretty long breaker bar to get that sucker free. Actually smashed the filter a bit the force was so high... Got it off, got the new one on, and the strap wrench was only $5 at O'Reillys.

Comment

I found a cap wrench that fits the 01~05 low pressure filter. It's produced by CTA Manufacturing - Carlstadt, NJ. The model number is: 2485 and it matches Honda part 07HAA-PJ0100. I bought it at Fleet Farm for $8 but it seems to be available at Amazon for $12.57 with Prime. The Amazon listing states 86 millimeters but the package shows 64mm x 14 flats. Even though the 2485 is made in China it's nicely chromed and seems to be quite sturdy.
                  Jeff
                  '99 Civic GX w/ 55k miles
                  '98 Civic HX w/ 218k miles
                  '95 Integra GSR w/ 168k miles
                  '90 Supra Turbo w/ 118k miles

Comment

Working...
                  X