This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Low fuel light is flashing on a full tank

I filled the tank and drove home, 10 miles, parked the car and when I came back 5 hours later and started the car. The fuel gage slides up to 1 tick below full, then the low fuel light starts blinking and the fuel level starts to drop tick by tick. I don't smell gas so no venting is going on. I shut the car down and don't know that the car would allow me to drive the 10 or so miles to the dealer. A quick search says that there is a fuel system problem and that I need to get it to the dealer so that's what I'll do but I'm hoping to avoid a tow.

Chris

Re: The Low fuel light is flashing on a full tank

You are correct that the blinking gauge and the apparent fuel level dropping to empty is a fuel system warning. Some have been able to clean this by disconnecting the negative battery cable for 10 minutes. It would suggest that your in tank solenoid has closed to protect from a diagnostic fault or the the solenoid itself has failed to open when energized (turning the key on). Best bet is to try unhooking the battery lead. If that does not work, the car will most likely not run for more than a minute until the fuel line empties. At that point, you will need the tow. There are several other threads like this in the GX forum area.

http://cngchat.com/forum/showthread....rt-7000-repair
    Last edited by raskell; 02-14-2011, 09:39 AM.
    '11 Fusion Bi Fuel & FMQ2-36 VRA
    (Former owner '09 Civic GX)

Comment

Thanks Raskell, I'll give the neg lead trick a try.. Sorry all I didn't get the search results on this one, I found the flashing fuel gage but not this one..

Chris

Comment

Report back and let us know how you get on.

Comment

No good.. I'll call the tow and get it to the dealer.. It registers full and then dials down toward empty even without running the engine so I'm guessing that the tank sensor is fine and since I'm not smelling gas, that the line pressure isn't changing. Electronics, computer logic, would be my next SWAG.

Chris

Comment

Oops, I forgot to mention that this is a 2007 model.. It's at the dealer at the moment changing out the fuel filters and running diags on the blink cause.

Chris

Comment

The dealer reports that all of the sensor checks are spot on and they don't find a reason for the error after my removing the power from the battery. I had the dealer replace all of the fuel filters, from front to back, and the dealer has reset error state.

I now have 2 choices;

1 replace a sensor that seems to be good for $800 or round about there.
              2 hope that the dealer's system reset and filter swaps solve the problem and save the $ for the moment, and maybe forever.

I opt for 2, Unless things crop back up I don't feel the need to spend cash without a clear need..

Chris
              Last edited by SCChris; 02-14-2011, 03:09 PM.

Comment

You most likely have a 15yr/150k mile warranty on this problem. So you won't be spending any money unless you're over that. Assuming it recurs it's probably the 'fuel sender' unit which I and a number of others have had to replace.
                02 GX
                01 GX
                03 Crown Vic
                06 GX
                Home Fueler

Comment

I went into pick up the car and although the dealer had reset the system and didn't find a fault, at the first crank the problem showed up again. The sensor in question is on order and unless you know something about a 150K warrantee, I'll be paying about $560 plus the already paid diagnostics costs. The sensor in question is above the rear sway bar above a sheet metal panel and just below the pressure tank. Sorry I don't have the part number to include at the moment. Thanks to anyone that can provide any clairity.

Chris

Comment

Check your owners manual under the CA emisions section for the 15 year 150,000 mile emissions warranty. I THINK it covers the "Fuel System." I threatened one dealer with court action when they told me the owners manual was generic and only what was listed in their computer was covered. I told them I was sure a judge would see it differently. Next thing I new, I had a different service writer and my problem was covered....

Comment

Originally posted by SCChris View Post
                      I went into pick up the car and although the dealer had reset the system and didn't find a fault, at the first crank the problem showed up again. The sensor in question is on order and unless you know something about a 150K warrantee, I'll be paying about $560 plus the already paid diagnostics costs. The sensor in question is above the rear sway bar above a sheet metal panel and just below the pressure tank. Sorry I don't have the part number to include at the moment. Thanks to anyone that can provide any clairity.

Chris
                      Chris,

There are at least two sensors there on what is called the fuel junction block. TTS is the Tank Temperature Sensor and TPS is the Tank Pressure Sensor. The Techline Engineers are able to tell your service center what values are supposed to be produced. At my service shop, the technician has a computer that connects under the driverside dash and reads out the raw settings from these two. If they are not shorted (zero signal) or open (infinite signal) then they are most likely not the cause. I would suggest you have a discussion with the service manager that they seem to be guessing at the cause of the problem and that you should not have to pay extra for their limited experience with these issues. FWIW. At lease once on my car, the techline engineers had both sensors swapped out with old and new taking comparative readings. (no problem found) so I did not get charged with that exercise.

I would aslo suggest you contact Honda of America customer Service at (800) 999-1009 and get a case number to follow up on this. I know that HoA is still deliberating how to deploy the GX nationwide in 2012 and these issues are all relevant to their deliberations.
                      Last edited by raskell; 02-16-2011, 08:39 AM.

Comment

I have experienced this problem three times but mine stalled two of the 3 times. 1st occurance San Juan dealer pulled power to reset and told me my battery was bad. 2nd occurance San Juan dealer reset again and tried to charge me for diagnostics. 3rd occurance I took it to another dealer and called Honda directly. They changed the pressure regulator in the front of the car. This was a $2000 part covered by the 15 year / 150K warranty. This was done this week so not sure if it has fixed the problem for good. If you are using the San Juan dealer my suggestion is to go somewhere else.
                        Last edited by malibu; 02-17-2011, 06:28 PM.

Comment

The temp sensor is the target and less than I had initially been told. The part, when run by the dealer, doesn't show as a warrantee item, :-( .. The engineers in at Honda feel that this is the sensor that is the problem. Once I get through this, I want some help from these guys on getting feed data from these sensors. I'd like to use it for a few fun things and as far as I know the info that a OBD2 can doesn't give this data in a form that can used to provide extended functionality. I'll keep you looped in on where the repair goes and what HOA ultimately says about this and the raw sensor data.

Chris

Wow:
                          wildhourse1966, tenspeedy, ossrom1, all have had a similar problems with the 07 model.. I can't say about Malibu's model year, but It really starts to say that this is a known problem for a statistically significant portions of these cars.
                          Last edited by SCChris; 02-18-2011, 01:14 PM.

Comment

The temp sensor is the target and less than I had initially been told. The part, when run by the dealer, doesn't show as a warrantee item, :-( .. The engineers in at Honda feel that this is the sensor that is the problem. Once I get through this, I want some help from these guys on getting feed data from these sensors. I'd like to use it for a few fun things and as far as I know the info that a OBD2 can doesn't give this data in a form that can used to provide extended functionality. I'll keep you looped in on where the repair goes and what HOA ultimately says about this and the raw sensor data.

Chris

Wow:
                            wildhourse1966, tenspeedy, ossrom1, all have had a similar problems with the 07 model.. I can't say about Malibu's model year, but It really starts to say that this is a known problem for a statistically significant portions of these cars.
                            Mine is the Honda 2008 GX. San Juan Dealer has run lots of part numbers and told me they are not covered. I call Honda directly and Honda tells me they are. This is with Honda care also. Honda care told me that dealers run whole units and not individual pieces and that causes them to show up as not covered.

If you are having a problem with the fuel tank temp sensor it is covered by the california 15 yr / 150 K warranty. Look in your GX warranty book. If your car is at the San Juan Dealer , I really suggest you call Honda yourself or take it somewhere else.

Comment

Wow:

Reading through the threads of other people with the same symptoms indicates that the problem can be caused by a variety of issues. One person said that it is caused by refueling with the key in the ignition ( he probably means in accessory mode). I have inadvertantly done this a few times but it has not triggered the problem. I have not seen anyone have the front pressure regulator replaced like they did on mine.

2008 GX

Comment

Working...
                              X