X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2006-2009 Civic (Cng and Gasoline) Engine block warranty 8 years

Originally posted by lcovelli View Post
    I just got a letter from Honda that my car may have an issue with engine cylinder block overheating and has extended the warranty covering this to 8 years from the purchase date. No limit on mileage..
    I'm curious as to anyone with a GX experiencing this issue.
    Thanks,
    Luigi
    I just had my 2009 civic gx towed to dealership. 88k miles. I did buy extended warranty through honda to 100K. They tell me the coolant level was low, though no external leaks detected. Also found coolant within cylinder. They are pulling the head and outsourcing that on Monday to have it inspected? They think it will be covered under warranty but said I must authorize $2800 in case it is not. I said I wanted all parts in case this becomes an issue. Similair issues anybody?

Comment

We are about to purchase a 2009 GX today with 38k miles. Is this extended 8 year warranty that you speak of transferable to us as new owners?

Comment

This issue just happened to my 2008 GX. I bought it used at 50k miles a few years ago. Last week, at 122k miles, I was driving up a hill, all of a sudden heard a rattling, then pulled over within 10 seconds. As soon as I stopped, a lot of smoke started coming up out of my hood. After I had the car towed home, my brother, a mechanic, said that it looked like my block was cracked. Any coolant he put in would just leak or spray out of the crack.

I took my car to Norm Reeves Honda in West Covina, and they fixed it much faster than I expected. No charge for the engine replacement, but my fairly new spark plugs had gotten burnt, and they weren't covered by the warranty extension, so I had to buy new ones. They wouldn't give me a loaner car, so I had to rent a car. Maybe I should ask Honda corporate if they would reimburse me for the rental.

Comment

my thoughts are if they treated that good on the motor I would not worry about a rental. but write a nice letter to to owner of the dealership and cc it to honda corporate and also to the local new paper. my self I think they went far out there to get you a new motor with 122000 miles on the one that went down. I dont know what a new motor costs installed in a honda car but I am sure it is in the thousands ( help me here curtis) so they have done a lot for you. If I was in your boat and I got out of a blown motor for oil ainti freeze and spark plugs I would be tickled . just my thoughts.

Comment

You're right. My brother said the same thing. I'll write a letter as you suggest.

Comment

Re: 2006-2009 GX Engine block warranty 8 year

did honda ever extend the warranty on this again? I'd like to buy one of the new generation civic gx's. I don't think I want to spend the extra dough to get a really new one (2010 or newer). but I don't think I want to buy a 2006 thru 2009 since they have engine block cracking problems......unless I have at least a 4 year honda warranty on the engine block. of course, if I see a 2006 thru 2009 that has already had the engine block replaced, then I certainly would be interested in purchasing that vehicle if the price is right.

Comment

Re: 2006-2009 GX Engine block warranty 8 year

My understanding it was not extended, so I bought a 2010 purposely in July.
                Sold GX

Comment

My 04 Civic was just totaled recently and I am on the fence about sticking with CNG. If I were to get a civic, it would be used 2006-2009. My question to the folks here, is this engine block issue a common occurrence for this gen civic? Any idea what the cost is to replace this out of warranty?

Comment

Originally posted by vsick View Post
                    My 04 Civic was just totaled recently and I am on the fence about sticking with CNG. If I were to get a civic, it would be used 2006-2009. My question to the folks here, is this engine block issue a common occurrence for this gen civic? Any idea what the cost is to replace this out of warranty?
                    Cost via dealership likely more than value of car (2006-2009).
                    Sold GX

Comment

My '08 has performed without such a failure, now at 77K miles. My VIN is 000066 in case anyone is tracking. I wonder if any specific VIN range numbers for each year would give a clue to the potential ones in question...
                      ?Keeping my fingers crossed as the 8 year warranty has now passed on mine.
                      '13 Chev Silverado 2500 Ext Cab Factory Bi-Fuel
                      '08 Green Tea Metallic GX
                      FMQ-2-36 Fueler

Comment

Could one still get a warranty engine on a 2008/9/10? Thx!

Comment

Originally posted by nicklittlejohn View Post
                          Could one still get a warranty engine on a 2008/9/10? Thx!
                          AFAIK , it's still 8 years from date of first sale. Salvage title vehicles do not qualify. Call Honda customer service with a specific vin # to be sure.

Comment

Working...
                          X