This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006-2009 Civic (Cng and Gasoline) Engine block warranty 8 years

I just got a letter from Honda that my car may have an issue with engine cylinder block overheating and has extended the warranty covering this to 8 years from the purchase date. No limit on mileage..
    I'm curious as to anyone with a GX experiencing this issue.
    Thanks,
    Luigi
    Silver 09 GX
    Phill G:1.5

Re: 2006-2009 GX Engine block warranty 8 year

I would think this has to do with cylinder block casting. Some of the blocks (and this isn't GX only) are cracking near the base of the cylinders causing external water leaks. The first sign of this could be overheating. The only fix is to replace the block which is done by installing a partial engine. There is mention of this on this site and there have been Honda service bulletins on this. Curtis will be the one to know more about this. 8 years is nice, however a cylinder block's structural integrity should last (and be warranted for) the life of the car.

Comment

Well, I started smelling anti-freeze today on my 08 GX, and the front of the block is wet. Looks like an un-planned new block assy. at 48K miles.

Comment

what ever happened to jap cars that just ran and ran they must be back to stealing good old usa teck only now it aint worth stealingLOL

Comment

Are you sure it's the block as opposed to a fitting somewhere, or a leaky water pump? It could be one of those porous blocks I heard about.
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_4586_1441434431016_578[/ATTACH]

Comment

The tech confirmed , it's the block. They are just waiting for Honda to give the ok to order the parts and start work. Everything I have seen on the blogs say that the replacement blocks are slightly different in the exterior appearance. I hope the parts kit is not a superjumbo size jb weld package and can of silver paint .
            Last edited by Lakewood90712; 11-09-2010, 09:47 AM.

Comment

I was telling afriend about this today and he told me when he worked for uaw ford and dodge put bars leak in every car just in case bad block or head so it would not seep

Comment

Got the car back , new short block , $ 0.00 cost. So far , all is well.

Comment

Does this affect a series of VIN numbers, or should everyone be on the look out for this?

Comment

Originally posted by kuykendallc View Post
                    Does this affect a series of VIN numbers, or should everyone be on the look out for this?
                    If you got a letter you are covered. Otherwise you may find out by calling honda.
                    Silver 09 GX
                    Phill G:1.5

Comment

I bought a used '07 with 106K does anyone know at why mileage block tend to crack?

Comment

Mine did at about 48k. From what I am seeing on other civic forums, ( Gasoline civics ) it is usually in the 45-60k mile range . With over 100k, I don't think you will have this problem.

Comment

our '06 had a new block installed at 47k

Comment

Re: 2006-2009 Civic (Cng and Gasoline) Engine block warranty 8 years

Found out yesterday that we're members of the cracked block club -- 44K on 2008 GX. Happy so far with Honda's response. Dealership said it will take about 7 days to receive a replacement block and complete the job and they've provided a rental at no cost which is great. But, my wife is sure missing the HOV lane. Anything we should look out for? Have people in the same boat been happy with the result?

Comment

Re: 2006-2009 Civic (Cng and Gasoline) Engine block warranty 8 years

Got the car back on friday - turns out Honda only needed it for 3 days since there was a block available in California. So far so good. Total cost: $ 0.00 :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X