Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2009 GX High/Low Pressure Fuel Filters

Originally posted by jsorger View Post
    I replied to another thread but wanted to share my experience again, as this post helped me a bit with the courage in changing my low pressure filter.
    I used a 24mm ratchet and tried multiple times, watching other components of the fuel system move, backing off. I thought I was loosening it.

2011 Civic, 30k miles, neither filter had been changed.
    Check out what happened... Housing bent. Still usable, but I would be careful doing this yourself.

Love to know the correct procedure for getting one of these off. I'm not incredibly strong nor did I use a particularly large ratchet driver.

I don't think I'll do it again.
    So did you bend it getting it off, or putting it on? I have done it a number of times with a socket and extensions to a ratchet, but it never required much pushing taking it off. Going back on I use the same socket in a stubby ratchet as it gives me better feel and am afraid of cross threading it.
    My regulator failed and was replaced under warranty about 2 years ago, and the next time I changed that filter, I discovered the housing had been bent by the dealer, though not nearly as bad as yours is.
    Why in God's name they don't put the regulator in the back by the HP filter is beyond me.

Comment

Originally posted by kierandill View Post
      ...Why in God's name they don't put the regulator in the back by the HP filter is beyond me.
      regulators (at least on any CNG vehicles I've seen) are required to be on an engine coolant loop... it's much easier to be near the engine. I suppose there could be another style of regulator with an alternate way to keep it from freezing up, but I've not seen any myself.
      2008 GX (extended range, trunkless version)
      Polished Metal Metallic 2012 Civic Natural Gas
      Fuelmaker FMQ-2-36 (since 2001)
      Previously owned: 2000 GX (11 years), 1995 Bi-fuel Sonoma, 2000 Bifuel Tahoe, 2000 Bi-fuel F150

Comment

Bent it getting it off. The funny thing is that I didn't feel as if I were pushing into the housing that hard. I was torquing the heck out of it, and I think that is what ultimately caused the deformation.

Hand-screwed it back on until it was as tight as I could get it, then used the ratchet for the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
          It seems to me that the failure of this component would cause the vehicle to be in non compliance of CARB evaporative emisions standards. Especially as a SULEV.

This should be covered by Honda, as the vehicle would fail a smog inspection with a fuel leak.

P.S. NEVER reuse any o-ring that has been subjected to silicone grease. The silicone grease makes it swell up, as intended by Honda. Put a used o-ring that has been on the car for a few weeks , subjected to silicone ,one next to a new one. You should see a difference.
          I just personally replaced my front low pressure filter 2006 and the inner o-ring is the same size as the new one even after having the Shin-Etsi silicone applied - they must be put into the freezer while on the bell canister housing and greased up, ready to go fast to the receiving housing. Turn the bell counter -clockwise until the inner round o-ring gets seated properly before turning regularly to tighten, no air fastening tools should ever be used!! Torque is only 17 pounds wich is basically 2-3 degrees of 360 past hand tight

Comment

great post. when I replaced mine I did not grease the inner o ring. is this a requirement from the factory or something the dealer does? Thanks. Gonna post my videos of my filter changes below. Let me know if I missed anything

Originally posted by RexKI View Post
            I just personally replaced my front low pressure filter 2006 and the inner o-ring is the same size as the new one even after having the Shin-Etsi silicone applied - they must be put into the freezer while on the bell canister housing and greased up, ready to go fast to the receiving housing. Turn the bell counter -clockwise until the inner round o-ring gets seated properly before turning regularly to tighten, no air fastening tools should ever be used!! Torque is only 17 pounds wich is basically 2-3 degrees of 360 past hand tight
            2013 Chevy volt 2013 Ford C-Max Energi

Comment

How to Change your 2006-2011 Honda Civic GX CNG Low Pressure Fuel Filter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNN2S4WtSCc

Comment

How to Change your 2006-2011 Honda Civic GX CNG High Pressure Fuel Filter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6zS9iyemX0

Comment

Great video. Good grief, where have you been getting your fuel ? Way too much compressor oil carryover. I never got anywhere near that much. As I have said before, no need to change the element in most cases , just drain the oil , if any. Honda really needs to add a drain fitting to the housing , and just drain the canister at every normal A1 service. Just my opinion. The vehicle manufacturer thinks otherwise.
                  Last edited by Lakewood90712; 11-15-2014, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Great video. Good grief, where have you been getting your fuel ? Way too much compressor oil carryover. I never got anywhere near that much. As I have said before, no need to change the element in most cases , just drain the oil , if any. Honda really needs to add a drain fitting to the housing , and just drain the canister at every normal A1 service. Just my opinion. The vehicle manufacturer thinks otherwise.
                    I had my wife's 2007 gx low pressure filter modified to have a drain port it was exchanged bottom unit when I had it serviced.My original one they get ready for next person. If interested how I got it pm me.

Comment

Clean energy downtown LA, Station in Boyle Heights, Station in Moreno Valley (Day Street). Bought it with 18K original miles and changed those at 30K so maybe the previous owner filled at bad pumps (was a government vehicle). I asked a Clean energy tech one day at a station and he said I could see if the pumps had oil by looking at the fill nozzle after a fill, but I have never seen any at clean energy station...? It was a ton of oil. And my car still stutters before starting cold

Comment

Originally posted by GOCNG3 View Post
                        I had my wife's 2007 gx low pressure filter modified to have a drain port it was exchanged bottom unit when I had it serviced.My original one they get ready for next person. If interested how I got it pm me.
                        Pictures ?

Comment

Originally posted by bestinlife View Post
                          Clean energy downtown LA, Station in Boyle Heights, Station in Moreno Valley (Day Street). Bought it with 18K original miles and changed those at 30K so maybe the previous owner filled at bad pumps (was a government vehicle). I asked a Clean energy tech one day at a station and he said I could see if the pumps had oil by looking at the fill nozzle after a fill, but I have never seen any at clean energy station...? It was a ton of oil. And my car still stutters before starting cold
                          CE is usually super clean and dry cng. I see they have drains and hoses on the bottom of the torpedo storage cylinders.

Might be worth pulling an injector or two , and look at the tips.

Comment

Working...
                          X