3600 vs 3000 psi

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3600 vs 3000 psi

For lack of convenient options, we have always filled our '04 GX tank at 3000 psi pumps. I just learned that a station on my way home from work has a pump with 3600 psi. I'm wondering though if it wouldn't be better to continue with the 3000 psi pumps to help lengthen the life of the tank and related parts. What do you folks think?

Thanks,

Miguelito100

Re: 3600 vs 3000 psi

Tanks have a terminal date on them. It doesn't matter which pressure you use. You can't extend the tank life beyond the 15 year limit (legally). You'll find that the extra 600psi will increase your range from 25 to 75 miles, depending on how good the fill is, what your driving style is and whether you drive freeway/city. Probably not much of an issue if you are comfortable with a 3000psi fill normally. It could possibly make a difference if you need to take a trip, or want to try to get an extra days driving from a tank. Try it, you may like it. You could get the same added mileage by letting the tank cool down after filling (I wait over night) and top it off again. Once the gas cools and condenses you may get another gge or so in there, about the same result as using the 3600psi pump... combine both the high pressure and the top off trick and you should get the best range from a tank that you possibly can.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_4586_1441434431016_578[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by Miguelito100 View Post
      I'm wondering though if it wouldn't be better to continue with the 3000 psi pumps to help lengthen the life of the tank and related parts.
      Do you plan on using your tank until it fails?

Curtis is right. All tanks have a expiration date regardless of how many times they have been filled and to what pressure. I usually got about 140 - 160 miles in my '03 Cavalier when using the 3000 psi pumps. Now with the 3600 psi pumps, I get 170 - 180 miles every time.
      Jared.
      Mountain Green, Utah
      2003 CNG Cavalier
      2003 CNG Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Fast-filling to 3000 vs 3600 won't make much difference. Fast-filling vs. time-filling would make more of a difference, but these tanks are designed and tested so far beyond average use (max fast fills 6x/day for 15 years) that nothing short of damage or abuse will make a tank fail.
        02 GX
        01 GX
        03 Crown Vic
        06 GX
        Home Fueler

Comment

Originally posted by Highmarker View Post
          Do you plan on using your tank until it fails?

Curtis is right. All tanks have a expiration date regardless of how many times they have been filled and to what pressure. I usually got about 140 - 160 miles in my '03 Cavalier when using the 3000 psi pumps. Now with the 3600 psi pumps, I get 170 - 180 miles every time.
          I think I need to clarify my statement:

All tanks (3,600 psi rated) have an expiration date regardless of how many times they ahve been filled and to what pressure, as long as the pressure is under 4,500 psi.
          Jared.
          Mountain Green, Utah
          2003 CNG Cavalier
          2003 CNG Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Hello I to can fill my CNG VW BI-Fuel VW Turbo Bettle to 3000 psi at home or go to one of five street side pumps that are at 3600psi at $2.50 a GAL in MA. At home about 60 cents a GAL.
            I this point at 2700 psi I get 230 miles to the tank of CNG.
            honda tank being installed

here it is all covered

I have found the added Pressure can give a lot more miles to the ride.
            I will check this week what I get to a full tank at 3600 psi miles to the tank my cars are getting 40 MPG on CNG!
            Bob Mann
            www.CNGVW.com

Comment

Thank you all for your comments. I think I'll be switching to the 3600 since a few more miles per tank would be nice.

Miguelito100

Comment

Hello new CNG supporter in Utah,

What a terrific "problem" to have with both a 3,000 psi and 3,600 psi public pump nearby!!

Got a suggestion . . . Frequent BOTH of the pumps, that way you'll be giving business to both and keep CNG active in that part of Utah.

You might create a routine where you fill with the 3,000 psi on a certain day, and then next day drive past the other 3,600 psi pump where you can "top off" and give it some business as well.

Educate everyone you can about the wonderful benefits of CNG . . . someday we'll have CNG All Across the USA !!

Comment

I am consistently getting 200 miles a tank on my 01 Civic with 3600 PSI. I find that I get about 165 with the 3000. I like not having to fill up so much. I have not noticed anything on my tank (other than an exp date on it)

Comment

Working...
                  X