X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• karl
    commented on 's reply
    Sorry to hear about your transmission failure. You could take this as an opportunity to figure out how to install a manual transmission.
    Wait til half-price day at Pick-n-Pull to get all the donor Parts you need and set aside two weekends and you could figure it out.
    Or buy a wrecked Civic with a manual transmission pull the parts off at your leisure in your driveway. I don't have a Civic but at one point I read up on the challenges in doing this. I think you need to deal with the neutral start safety switch in a creative manner but otherwise it is just bolting in the requisite parts.

• 300mileclub
    replied
    CVT on my 2004 GX (I have two others) just quit pulling on the interstate going 70 mph. I was in the right hand lane and was able to exit into a parking lot. 392K miles. Diagnosis at Honda found it was not the shift cable; position sensor electronic box; or coupler under the external cover plate. A shaft inside the CVT no longer engages the mechanism (mechanical problem). Somewhere around $3K for replacement CVT and $1500 to install.

From the internet: The CVT basic design has limited reliability and longevity. It HAS to wear out. Nissan introduced the CVT and Subaru also uses them. It is a belt, like a go-cart or snowmobile. Belts need to be changed and cannot last. These are throw away cars now, it is a way to make you go back to the thinking of cars are no good at 100k miles.

Advice from the internet:
    CVT: Come to a complete stop before shifting to reverse
    CVT: Avoid holding yourself on a hill with throttle
    CVT: Avoid coasting in neutral
    CVT: Avoid reving engine in neutral to drop into gear to accelerate from a dead stop.
    CVT: Avoid spending a lot of time creeping forward on a hill with accelerator due to heat build up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSxg97m8lLA

Leave a comment:

• Lakewood90712
    replied
    Originally posted by gngai View Post
    Hi All. My 01 has 170k on it. Bought it used with the transmission judder issue. Had the transmission fluid serviced when I bought it at 100k and didn't know to take advantage of this back then. Still considering whether to keep this car as the tank just expired. I've tried my best to be gentle on it. As such, the judder issues have not gotten any worse. Also, trying to make up for lost time and service this. Does a DIY exist here to change the fluid and filter? Or anybody done it? And in that light, where do all the other DIYers go for technical info/reference? Thanks in advance and appreciate any insights.
    If you do change the fluid the Honda CVT fluid is recomended. The list is $8.65 a qt, some dealers try to get almost double that. IIRC , the dealer put an inline filter on the cooler line after a trans replacement on my 01.The cvt starting clutch plates are available at the parts counter, but not sure if you have to pull the trans to replace them. Most people these days wait till failure, and get a wrecking yard used trans. Plenty available these days.

Leave a comment:

• gngai
    replied
    Hi All. My 01 has 170k on it. Bought it used with the transmission judder issue. Had the transmission fluid serviced when I bought it at 100k and didn't know to take advantage of this back then. Still considering whether to keep this car as the tank just expired. I've tried my best to be gentle on it. As such, the judder issues have not gotten any worse. Also, trying to make up for lost time and service this. Does a DIY exist here to change the fluid and filter? Or anybody done it? And in that light, where do all the other DIYers go for technical info/reference? Thanks in advance and appreciate any insights.

Leave a comment:

• GX-SV
    replied
    Re: 2001-2005 CVT transmission Warranty Extension for Slip/Judder

Originally posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
    06 and later sure is a totally different driving experience. Punch it ,it downshifts and accelerates. punch it with a cvt and it sort of "Gathers speed" l.o.l.. The 5 speed auto is much more quiet on the freeway. With the CVT I didn't need a speedometer , 70 mph was 3100 rpm. With the automatic on the 08, it was something like 2000 rpm at the same speed. The negatives on the newer body style, with the larger , flatter windshield and rear glass, it turns the car into a great solar hotbox parked in the summer.
    Yes, the driving pleasure of the 2010 is dramatically better, mainly refinement-related. I drive Lexus and MB sport sedans frequently as contrasts. I'm not finding any differences in heat load between 2002 and 2010, both cars white with 3M CS 50% tint on all side/rear windows. The 2010 is a cooler ride in 90+ degree weather because of more powerful and quieter AC.

Leave a comment:

• Lakewood90712
    replied

Originally posted by GX-SV View Post
    Yes CVT efficiency is highest, although the 300 pounds less curb weight and the 13 less horsepower also contributes some to the mileage difference.

The 2010 (vs 2002) driving experience is much better in terms of comfort, NVH, handling, and safety too. Not to mention a better tranny for the driver that actually likes to drive.
    06 and later sure is a totally different driving experience. Punch it ,it downshifts and accelerates. punch it with a cvt and it sort of "Gathers speed" l.o.l.. The 5 speed auto is much more quiet on the freeway. With the CVT I didn't need a speedometer , 70 mph was 3100 rpm. With the automatic on the 08, it was something like 2000 rpm at the same speed. The negatives on the newer body style, with the larger , flatter windshield and rear glass, it turns the car into a great solar hotbox parked in the summer.
    Last edited by Lakewood90712; 12-16-2014, 11:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• GX-SV
    replied

Originally posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
    The cvt by nature is more efficient in city driving. No torque converter losses, almost no moving parts when stopped in traffic, constant power curve during acceleration. My 01 got better mileage than my 08 , mostly city driving.
    Yes CVT efficiency is highest, although the 300 pounds less curb weight and the 13 less horsepower also contributes some to the mileage difference.

The 2010 (vs 2002) driving experience is much better in terms of comfort, NVH, handling, and safety too. Not to mention a better tranny for the driver that actually likes to drive.

Leave a comment:

• Lakewood90712
    replied

Originally posted by GX-SV View Post
    I had a 2002 GX with original CVT, dull driving experience but it ran okay up to 99K miles when traded. That 2002 GX got consistently 10% better fuel economy than current 2010 GX, but I'm not surprised since the 2010 has more horsepower and is about 300 pounds heavier, not to mention the 5 speed auto tranny..
    The cvt by nature is more efficient in city driving. No torque converter losses, almost no moving parts when stopped in traffic, constant power curve during acceleration. My 01 got better mileage than my 08 , mostly city driving.

Leave a comment:

• GX-SV
    replied

I had a 2002 GX with original CVT, dull driving experience but it ran okay up to 99K miles when traded. That 2002 GX got consistently 10% better fuel economy than current 2010 GX, but I'm not surprised since the 2010 has more horsepower and is about 300 pounds heavier, not to mention the 5 speed auto tranny..
    Last edited by GX-SV; 12-16-2014, 11:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

• 300mileclub
    replied

I am second owner of an '01 with 200K and '04 with 325K miles - neither has "judder" problems. These models have only 4 seat belts and the owners manual says no roof racks, trailer towing, or snow chains should be used - the CVT is not intended to be over loaded beyond carrying 4 passengers. Tips from the internet say the CVT will hold up fine with reasonable acceleration - and I stick to the recommended 40K mile interval for transmission fluid changes done by my Honda dealer so I know the correct fluid is being used. Test drive cars with CVT's to determine if something shakes when vehicle initially begins to move after being stopped. If this feels acceptable, there's no reason the transmission won't perform fine for ordinary driving. When reaccelerating after traffic slows on a freeway, I allow the cruise control to accelerate back to speed since it is programmed for what is best for the CVT. The 2006 and newer GX's have 5 speed electronically shifted transmissions which, in my experience, increase normal driving range from 220 miles to over 300 miles. I always "borrow" a 2008 when making trips like the I-40 southwest run I did in August which has several runs longer than 275 miles.

Leave a comment:

• Lakewood90712
    replied

Lessor of 7 yrs or 100k miles from original date of delivery. So the party is over. Any dealer service adviser can check warranty history of a specific vehicle, just get the vin #

Leave a comment:

• bluestag
    replied

I'm shopping around for a GX.

Help me understand:

Those built from '01 to '05 have dubious cvt transmissions, that were subject to recall?

And that recall is expired?

How does one know that a particular car has been serviced in the recall?

Leave a comment:

• Nam
    replied

Head gasket replacement should not cost $1300. I wouldn't hesitate to find an independent shop to do head gasket for 1/2 of that. Used tranny would be the way to go if that's the case. My '05 GX showed missed fires in all 4 cyl. and random for a short moment when the weather was really cold and it ran like it starved on fuel. When the weather warmed up....it appears to be okay now.

Leave a comment:

• onefasteg
    replied

Ebay has replacement used transmissions for sale for a bargain $390 shipped (keyword "SLYA"), business address I believe, residential is $150 more.

Leave a comment:

• GX-SV
    replied

Originally posted by pwang100 View Post
    No, at this point $3k was a little more than I wanted to invest into the vehicle.
    I see, so the car is dry-docked for now I guess.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X