X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2001-2005 CVT transmission Warranty Extension for Slip/Judder

Originally posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
    06 and later sure is a totally different driving experience. Punch it ,it downshifts and accelerates. punch it with a cvt and it sort of "Gathers speed" l.o.l.. The 5 speed auto is much more quiet on the freeway. With the CVT I didn't need a speedometer , 70 mph was 3100 rpm. With the automatic on the 08, it was something like 2000 rpm at the same speed. The negatives on the newer body style, with the larger , flatter windshield and rear glass, it turns the car into a great solar hotbox parked in the summer.
    Yes, the driving pleasure of the 2010 is dramatically better, mainly refinement-related. I drive Lexus and MB sport sedans frequently as contrasts. I'm not finding any differences in heat load between 2002 and 2010, both cars white with 3M CS 50% tint on all side/rear windows. The 2010 is a cooler ride in 90+ degree weather because of more powerful and quieter AC.
    Sold GX

Comment

• Hi All. My 01 has 170k on it. Bought it used with the transmission judder issue. Had the transmission fluid serviced when I bought it at 100k and didn't know to take advantage of this back then. Still considering whether to keep this car as the tank just expired. I've tried my best to be gentle on it. As such, the judder issues have not gotten any worse. Also, trying to make up for lost time and service this. Does a DIY exist here to change the fluid and filter? Or anybody done it? And in that light, where do all the other DIYers go for technical info/reference? Thanks in advance and appreciate any insights.

Comment

• Originally posted by gngai View Post
        Hi All. My 01 has 170k on it. Bought it used with the transmission judder issue. Had the transmission fluid serviced when I bought it at 100k and didn't know to take advantage of this back then. Still considering whether to keep this car as the tank just expired. I've tried my best to be gentle on it. As such, the judder issues have not gotten any worse. Also, trying to make up for lost time and service this. Does a DIY exist here to change the fluid and filter? Or anybody done it? And in that light, where do all the other DIYers go for technical info/reference? Thanks in advance and appreciate any insights.
        If you do change the fluid the Honda CVT fluid is recomended. The list is $8.65 a qt, some dealers try to get almost double that. IIRC , the dealer put an inline filter on the cooler line after a trans replacement on my 01.The cvt starting clutch plates are available at the parts counter, but not sure if you have to pull the trans to replace them. Most people these days wait till failure, and get a wrecking yard used trans. Plenty available these days.

Comment

• CVT on my 2004 GX (I have two others) just quit pulling on the interstate going 70 mph. I was in the right hand lane and was able to exit into a parking lot. 392K miles. Diagnosis at Honda found it was not the shift cable; position sensor electronic box; or coupler under the external cover plate. A shaft inside the CVT no longer engages the mechanism (mechanical problem). Somewhere around $3K for replacement CVT and $1500 to install.

From the internet: The CVT basic design has limited reliability and longevity. It HAS to wear out. Nissan introduced the CVT and Subaru also uses them. It is a belt, like a go-cart or snowmobile. Belts need to be changed and cannot last. These are throw away cars now, it is a way to make you go back to the thinking of cars are no good at 100k miles.

Advice from the internet:
          CVT: Come to a complete stop before shifting to reverse
          CVT: Avoid holding yourself on a hill with throttle
          CVT: Avoid coasting in neutral
          CVT: Avoid reving engine in neutral to drop into gear to accelerate from a dead stop.
          CVT: Avoid spending a lot of time creeping forward on a hill with accelerator due to heat build up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSxg97m8lLA

Comment

• karl
            karl commented
            Editing a comment
            Sorry to hear about your transmission failure. You could take this as an opportunity to figure out how to install a manual transmission.
            Wait til half-price day at Pick-n-Pull to get all the donor Parts you need and set aside two weekends and you could figure it out.
            Or buy a wrecked Civic with a manual transmission pull the parts off at your leisure in your driveway. I don't have a Civic but at one point I read up on the challenges in doing this. I think you need to deal with the neutral start safety switch in a creative manner but otherwise it is just bolting in the requisite parts.
        Working...
        X