This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2001-2005 CVT transmission Warranty Extension for Slip/Judder

My 2004 has been doing this for a while but no funds right now for a repair. The last time I checked it's a $1,600 job.

What ticks me off is that the dealer didn't think it was an issue and let me get by the warranty period. No way to prove that so I have to live with it.
    John

Comment

I just purchased a 2002 GX w/87K miles. I noticed a bit of judder at around 30mph, light throttle. Is this the condition being discussed here?
      Sold GX

Comment

The best approach is to have the Honda dealer diagnose your issue. The judder issue tends to feel like a slipping transmission at take off. You could simply have a tire out of balance, or some other issue unrelated to the tranny.
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_4586_1441434431016_578[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by GX-SV View Post
          I just purchased a 2002 GX w/87K miles. I noticed a bit of judder at around 30mph, light throttle. Is this the condition being discussed here?
          Maybe, but check your coil packs for hairline cracks. Only takes about 10 minutes , a quarter to turn the plastic retainer screws on the cable cover and a small wrench on each one. They are around $70 each.
          Last edited by Curtis; 04-10-2013, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Thanks all for the helpful advice. I will wait 'til 90K and use my favorite inde Honda/Acura shop to diagnose/fix.
            Sold GX

Comment

I have two symptoms in my 2002 Civic GX which may or may not be the 'judder' termed here. I've only had my car a few weeks. I've noticed as I accelerate up to about 20 mph I feel several quick slight jerks. It's more profound if I accelerate harder, though it's not terrible even then. Once up to speed the transmission is very smooth. I had my mechanic check the coil packs. And he changed the transmission fluid (with Honda CVT fluid, of course). This immediately brought on a new problem. Now at take off my car vibrates loudly for a second or two. I've driven 150 miles on it now and it still does this at take off, and especially if I'm pointed uphill.
              My mechanic noted that the fluid he drained was pink (and very clean), unlike the clear Honda fluid he put in. First, are there any acceptable CVT fluids that are pink (for example, the older fluid mentioned in the manual), or do I safely assume that this was the wrong stuff? And second, what should I do now? He noted that about 4 of the 6.8 quarts the system holds were replaced. Is this worth getting pumped out? Is the damage already done? Might a 'burnishing' help? I can live with the vibration, but I hope to not be doing more harm. I'd really appreciate any input.

Comment

Welcome claytonkimball. How many miles do you have on your new 2002 GX?

(I have 88K miles on my 2002 GX, recently purchased, have similar minor and occasional judder)
                Sold GX

Comment

I'm not a tech, so don't take this as the final word on the matter, but I have never seen anything but clear tranny fluid for the CVT in 6 years of driving one. I have seen people (mostly unaware) who take the car to a non Honda service and end up with Dexron trans fluid in their car. My understanding is this destroys the valve body.Perhaps one of the techs could chime in here.

As far as the miss under acceleration that smooths out under load, that sounds like a miss. Cracked coil packs and valve adjustments are prime suspects. Valves should be adjusted every 30 k mi on a Civic NGV/GX, according to Honda. In my limited opinion, you have 2 separate issues.
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_4586_1441434431016_578[/ATTACH]

Comment

GX-SV, my car has about 125,000 miles. I hope it'll last because it's saving me $9 in fuel per day.

Curtis, thank you for your input. It sounds like a good opportunity to get to know my local Honda dealer.

Comment

Just started to get the problem claytonkimball is mentioning, don't think it is a tranny issue. Starting a new thread on it.

Comment

As an update, I got my car working great. The judder on take off caused by the new transmission fluid just gradually went away over several days. The judder at mid range acceleration was due to two faulty coil packs (I'd post photos but I still don't have that privilege). The cracks are extremely slight, but the problem went away instantly after replacing them. I just bought a set of four used coil packs off eBay that claimed low miles for $60 and only installed the two for now. I didn't have the foresight to keep track of which positions they came out of.

Comment

I'm attaching photos of my coil packs. The good one is the lower and left one in the photos. As I pulled them out it was clear that two had a white build up towards the bottom, whereas two did not. Then I noticed tiny cracks all over the two bad ones. The main crack in the photo is more obvious than most of them. Like I said, my mid speed acceleration jerks were instantly gone after dropping in the replacement coil packs.

Onefasteg: I read your post and your symptoms sound just like mine. But with new coil packs that must not be the issue.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Odd how your judder went away after driving it around just like mine (After the CVT oil change). Wonder what is going on in the tranny that made it clear up. Maybe the fluid needs to be somehow bonded to the surface of the metal, and when you drive it settles in place.

Comment

Question for those who have experienced the slip/judder problem.. Were there any error codes associated with your judder? I have had the judder problem in my 2001 GX for about a month now. I took the car to a mechanic, who performed the burnishing procedure. It did seem to cure the problem.. for about a week. Then the judder came back, and seems to be getting worse by the day. In addition, my check engine light came on, and I read the codes. I got P300,P301,P302... Supposedly, these are related to ignition coils. But i didnt get any error codes that seemingly relate to the transmission.
                              Thanks for any input, I am trying to figure out my options.

Comment

Originally posted by pwang100 View Post
                                Question for those who have experienced the slip/judder problem.. Were there any error codes associated with your judder? I have had the judder problem in my 2001 GX for about a month now. I took the car to a mechanic, who performed the burnishing procedure. It did seem to cure the problem.. for about a week. Then the judder came back, and seems to be getting worse by the day. In addition, my check engine light came on, and I read the codes. I got P300,P301,P302... Supposedly, these are related to ignition coils. But i didnt get any error codes that seemingly relate to the transmission.
                                Thanks for any input, I am trying to figure out my options.
                                Those are misfire codes. Could be coilpacks, injectors , intake valves too tight or ????. Don't ignore them. You can ruin the cat. converter quickly with misfire. ......... In CA , the coilpacks and injectors are covered for 15 years or 150,000 miles on the gx, whichever comes first.

Comment

Working...
                                X