This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2001-2005 CVT transmission Warranty Extension for Slip/Judder

is this a typical tranny cvt problem? RPM goes up while speed goes down? it only happens when i have passengers or going up hill.

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis View Post
      This is the actual service bulletin sent out over the Honda interactive network. Call your local GX dealer, or my service dept (661) 265-6000 for more details.

Edited to add: PDF copies of the bulletins can be downloaded in post #12 below.

ID: AIN37860

To: All Honda Sales, Service, and Parts Managers
      Re: CVT Warranty Extension for Judder and/or Slipping: 2001 – 2005 Civic HX, GX, Insight; 2003 – 2005 Civic Hybrid

This warranty extension is effective 8-17-2007

NOTE: This message refers to Service Bulletins 07-049 and 07-050,which will be published in the near future.

Repair Strategy
      Judder: The repair is to diagnose the CVT according to Service Bulletin 07-049, Warranty Extension: CVT Judder. Then, only if needed, burnish the CVT start clutch or install a CVT start clutch kit.

For repair, parts, tools, and warranty information, refer to S/B 07-049.

Belt Slippage: The repair is to diagnose the CVT according to Service Bulletin 07-050, Warranty Extension: CVT Drive Belt Slippage. Then, only if needed, install a CVT lower valve body kit and update the ECM (Civic Hybrid), or replace the CVT (Civic GX, Civic HX, and Insight).

For repair, parts, and warranty information, refer to S/B 07-050.

Parts Information

Judder: CVT start clutch kits are available only through the Controlled Parts Ordering System.

Slipping: CVT lower valve body kits (for Civic Hybrids) are available only through the Controlled Parts Ordering System. To order a remanufactured CVT (for Civic GXs, Civic HXs, and Insights), refer to the IN-WARRANTY EXCHANGE section of Service Bulletin 98-061, Automatic Transmission In-Warranty Exchange Program.

Customer Notification
      Notifications will begin mailing in early September. To ensure that enough parts are available, the mailing of customer notifications will be staggered.

NOTE: Since this is not a campaign, you will not receive a campaign responsibility report. To verify that a vehicle is covered by the warranty extension, make sure the customer has a notification letterand do a VIN status inquiry.

American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
      Service Division
      thanks, was looking for info on this issue. Seems to me Honda is dropping the ball, Taking our Honda Civic tomorrow, they already did the flush... nope, helped for a little while, but not really.

What I fear is that they knew exactly what this was... and did not mention this. Also the extension might help, since darn it, our 7 years ran in October but if there is an extension then they should take it on their end.

I have personally owned Hondas since the 1980s and never, ever had an issue with them. I guess there is always a first time.

oh and we had the engine light come up soon after, and of course it was the gas cap. Which I did not think any of it, since yes, it happened when the car was new many moons ago.
      Last edited by CNGLO; 08-03-2012, 12:20 AM. Reason: TOS language violation

Comment

We also just called Honda of North America. Apparently the dealership should have mentioned the extension when we first brought the car in, which they did not.

Car is at the dealership right now, and they have already done the burnishing, so hopefully they will now take things seriously. Also the service tech's attitude completely changed when we showed up with the service bulletins pertaining to this issue.

As I also pointed out to Honda of North America, they should have also sent the letter back then, which we never got, so there were several problems here. If I get to pay for some of the work, I am ok with that... but in my mind Honda should absorb some of the cost since it is also a very well known issue and it looks like dealerships are trying to avoid doing some of the work.

Oh and yes, the more that I think about it, this looks like a design problem.

Well, it happens, it really does, but my problem is whether this is something that could potentially put a driver at risk, if the transmission decides to fail at speed.

Comment

Originally posted by nadinbrzezinski View Post
          We also just called Honda of North America. Apparently the dealership should have mentioned the extension when we first brought the car in, which they did not.

Car is at the dealership right now, and they have already done the burnishing, so hopefully they will now take things seriously. Also the service tech's attitude completely changed when we showed up with the service bulletins pertaining to this issue.

As I also pointed out to Honda of North America, they should have also sent the letter back then, which we never got, so there were several problems here. If I get to pay for some of the work, I am ok with that... but in my mind Honda should absorb some of the cost since it is also a very well known issue and it looks like dealerships are trying to avoid doing some of the work.

Oh and yes, the more that I think about it, this looks like a design problem.

Well, it happens, it really does, but my problem is whether this is something that could potentially put a driver at risk, if the transmission decides to fail at speed.
          Oh and we got a good resolution. We pay for a little of the repair, Honda is picking up the new transmission.

Thanks guys, or this could have been a very expensive repair. This falls in the category, cost wise to me, of less than an oil change.

Comment

Any idea what the tranny would have cost if you had to pay in full?
            02 GX

Comment

Just picked up a 05 Civic...how do i find out if i have the extended warranty?

Comment

Originally posted by utah View Post
                Just picked up a 05 Civic...how do i find out if i have the extended warranty?
                If it is a GX , HX automatic or Hybrid with automatic , it is, but time is running out, IIRC it is for 7 years from original owner delivery date. Get over to your Honda Dealer service dept. They can run the vin # to find out.

Comment

Anyone know if there is any kind of pro rate coverage if your beyond the 7yrs? my 02 is starting to make the judder noise at 70k miles.

Comment

Originally posted by mavic View Post
                    Anyone know if there is any kind of pro rate coverage if your beyond the 7yrs? my 02 is starting to make the judder noise at 70k miles.
                    Ebay has these from Japan if you need one, key word is "SLYA" for the search.

You can always have a local shop install it.

Comment

Originally posted by onefasteg View Post
                      Ebay has these from Japan if you need one, key word is "SLYA" for the search.
                      That appears to be the HX only. I thought I read somewhere on this forum that the GX and HX transmissions were probably mechanically identical, but the ECU was different making them incompatible. Does anyone know the details on that?????
                      02 GX

Comment

The HX used the VTec-E engine, tuned for fuel economy and possible set to different shift points for the tranny in order to obtain max mileage. Might it be possible to use the ECU from the GX with an HX tranny, or even a Civic Hybrid with CVT?
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_4586_1441434431016_578[/ATTACH]

Comment

I am assuming the ECU determines the shifting in the transmission so it should be okay to use, it would be nice to see if the plug is the same on the Japanese HX. I would think so because Honda is good with being interchangeable between models.

Not sure, but the Hybrid might be the same style tranny as the GX also.

Comment

I read on another sight, honda-tech.com, I think? Honda of Canada also extened the warrenty for this. It was for 7 year/160k Km, which is about 100k miles. I started having this problem with my 03 Civic Hybrid. To bad its 9+ years old. American Honda has offered to cover costs more than $3000. Had the same [problem with the IMA batery recall. Either our car is JUST good enough or we are treating it so nicely that we miss out on the warrenty extensions

Originally posted by Curtis View Post
                            I posted the service bulletins that cover this issue in my previous post as attachments. As far as I know, none of these take any CVT issues to 160k mi.
                            Review the bulletins. I believe you'll find that they are 7yr/100k. Print the bulletins out and take them to your servicing dealer. If you find out anything different, please let me know. The burnishing proceedure is covered providing you fall under the terms of the bulletin.

I have found that changing fluid in the CVT every 20k-30k miles is cheap insurance against an expensive trans problem.

I know I'm going to feel foolish asking this, but what is an HCH? In 10 years with Honda I never heard of this designation.

Comment

The HX transmission (SLYA) is the same transmission and you can get them for around 500 buck from JDM engine dealers. I know for a fact they will work I put one in my car. I went to the dealer and they told I need a new transmission, so I installed one still had the same issue (jumping at low rpms). So I went to oriely's part store replaced two coil packs fixed the problem. yeah, I was not real happy as you can imagine.

Darren

Comment

Looks like the 2013 Accord got the CVT transmission, wonder if that transmission is built a little better.

Comment

Working...
                                X