X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2001-2005 CVT transmission Warranty Extension for Slip/Judder

Curtis,
    if the cvt transmission has more than 100K miles , what is the cost to fix this problem at your dealership? it seems most of us have more than 100k miles on our older honda CNG vehicles.

thanks

Comment

Curtis,

I have a 2004 GX with 67,000 miles. How do I find out when the 7 year warranty expiry date is?

Comment

One quick warning: my 2004 Honda Civic was about to fall out of the special factory warranty period to fix this CVT judder issue so I took it in for service. The dealership first tried to burnish the pulleys, but there was still a little judder, so they did the more expensive replacement instead. When it came time to pay, they realized that my car had a salvage title, which invalidated the special factory warranty, requiring me to pay the full amount for the repair. They told me I never told them the car had a salvage title. I told them they never asked! I certainly would have told them because I didn't know salvage title cars do not qualify for this free repair. I refused to pay the big bucks for the repair and they had to put my old tranny back in.

So be aware of this little salvage title detail if you try to take advantage of this special factory warranty fix.

Comment

Originally posted by djyohimbe View Post
          Curtis,

I have a 2004 GX with 67,000 miles. How do I find out when the 7 year warranty expiry date is?
          Go to any Honda Dealer, they will pull the records , showing original date the car was sold.

Comment

Originally posted by swong02 View Post
            One quick warning: my 2004 Honda Civic was about to fall out of the special factory warranty period to fix this CVT judder issue so I took it in for service. The dealership first tried to burnish the pulleys, but there was still a little judder, so they did the more expensive replacement instead. When it came time to pay, they realized that my car had a salvage title, which invalidated the special factory warranty, requiring me to pay the full amount for the repair. They told me I never told them the car had a salvage title. I told them they never asked! I certainly would have told them because I didn't know salvage title cars do not qualify for this free repair. I refused to pay the big bucks for the repair and they had to put my old tranny back in.

So be aware of this little salvage title detail if you try to take advantage of this special factory warranty fix.
            What was the price the dealer wanted to charge you for the trans. replacement ?

Comment

Originally posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
              What was the price the dealer wanted to charge you for the trans. replacement ?
              It was about $1,500 replace the tranny parts that would fix this issue, parts and labor included.

Comment

I got a GX at an auction and it has the infamous CVT Transmission problem. I am looking for a shop that will convert the transmission from automatic to manual. Does anyone know of anyone in the Southern California area that can do it? The car is currently in Chino. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Comment

Originally posted by gagv View Post
                  I got a GX at an auction and it has the infamous CVT Transmission problem. I am looking for a shop that will convert the transmission from automatic to manual. Does anyone know of anyone in the Southern California area that can do it? The car is currently in Chino. Thanks for any help you can provide.
                  Many have contimplated this as a fix. In CA , you wil not be able to pass a smog check even if you could meet the technical challanges of the swap with related electronic controls. A gasoline HX or Hybrid with a cvt could be changed to a manual, as this was an oem engine/trans combo. No so with the GX. If it was possible, I would have kept my '01 GX untill the wheels fell off. Sorry

Comment

Originally posted by gagv View Post
                    Send me a PM if your interested in getting it fixed. You can try getting the tranny from ebay, type in the search field: SLYA. In JP they used CVT in the 01-05 HX.

If I am not mistaken the startup clutch takes a crap. I need to see if I can get a hold of one from Honda. Rather than the entire tranny.

Not sure if the CVT from the hybrid, 01 ish - current will work as a replacement.

As stated above, once thae auto is converted to manual there will be a perm. check engine light on and it will not pass smog. Don't bother with a manual ECU either it has a different program on it for gas vs. CNG.
                    Last edited by onefasteg; 02-24-2012, 12:57 PM.

Comment

The starting clutch pack parts http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...TARTING+CLUTCH are no so bad on price. The servo/belt module ( interemediate plate assy)is very costly , about 2,000 and I don't think honda sells the belt alone. http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...RMEDIATE+PLATE
                      Last edited by Lakewood90712; 02-25-2012, 05:06 PM.

Comment

We'd have to split a bad one open to see what went bad.

Hopefully the servo/belt module isn't the issue.

Comment

Thanks for the info. There was a shop that said that the mechanical part of the conversion would not be a big problem. However, I want someone trustworthy that can guarantee the job and not just someone who is trying for the first time. I would prefer to keep the car as an automatic but if it's going to give me problems down the road, I'd rather look at a more long term fix. Onfasteg I sent you a private message. Let me know if there's anything else that I would have to consider and we'll go from there. Thanks again for your responses. I've taken it to two different shops that work on transmissions and they've both been stumped.

Comment

PM sent back. The mechanical part is the easiest of the conversion, the wiring and all the bugs with the ECU are the hardest, not worth it.

Comment

im out of warranty and i think my 2005 civic gx has slipping problem. The rpm goes up while the speed goes down. it happens when i hit 70mph.
                              Daniel
                              Originally posted by Curtis View Post
                              This is the actual service bulletin sent out over the Honda interactive network. Call your local GX dealer, or my service dept (661) 265-6000 for more details.

Edited to add: PDF copies of the bulletins can be downloaded in post #12

Comment

I've found the best first step is to drain the transmission fluid and replace it with new fluid. It must be the special CVT fluid. Valvoline makes a good one you can get a most parts stores. After replacing the fluid in our Honda CVT transmission it worked much better. I have been hearing from some tranny people that it helps to replace the fluid in CVTs every 6 months to a year.

Good Luck.
                                Ken

Comment

Working...
                                X