This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2001-2005 CVT transmission Warranty Extension for Slip/Judder

Even though I have access, I am not that familiar with how to find everything. I'll try and get this info from my service dept for you, but a phone call to your servicing dealer would be faster, as I will not be back in until Thursday.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_4586_1441434431016_578[/ATTACH]

Comment

Curtis, thank you so much for your help.
      Would it be possible to get the PDF for this TSB?
      Thanks

TSB #11012004 -- GOT AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE P0706? CHECK THE SWITCH COMBINATIONS. HONDA SERVICENEWS. *TT (NHTSA ID #10013662, NOVEMBER 01 2004)

Comment

I can't get it in PDF Format. It's not posted on the site that way and I have no way to convert it. It's a copy and paste thing. Sorry...

Comment

Is the CVT transmission specific only to the GX or does the gas Civic use the same one?

Comment

Also used on the gasoline Civic HX , the gasoline Civic hybrid and the gasoline Insight hybrid.

Comment

Originally posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
              Also used on the gasoline Civic HX , the gasoline Civic hybrid and the gasoline Insight hybrid.
              I noticed after posting that the HX has a CVT, but is it interchangeable with the GX? I'd think the GX and hybrids would be hard to find in wrecking yards.

Comment

CVT transmission whine

It is normal for the CVT to whine above 2000 rpm? I'm looking at a 2005 GX for sale, and it's original transmission makes a high-pitched noise.

Comment

No.

I had a replacement cvt trans installed under warranty at about 62,000 miles and it developed a sim. noise in about 1500 miles. It took 3 return trips to the dealer to get the trans. replaced again. First 2 times back , the tech and shop supervisor reported " Normal CVT ".

The third time a tech rode on a test drive and immediately found it. They did install the replacement parts , but it was annoying to have to make 3 return trips.

Turns out , the first 2 times, they did not even test drive it , and it's so noisey in the service bay , they did not hear it.

It was covered by "Hondacare". The 01-05 CVT warranty extension does not cover all transmission problems, only slippage and "Judder".

Comment

Re: 2001-2005 CVT transmission

Thanks for your comments. I'll pass on any Civic with a CVT.
                    That 2000 cng-fueled Camry is looking mighty good now.
                    Joe

Comment

Hi Mr Curtis,

My Honda Civic 1996 VTI with MMT (CVT).

The problem is when engine cold , My Civic cannot reverse and forward. I have to warm up idle up to 30mins so my CVT will become normal. Even after 4 hours engine stop, I still have to warm up to 30 mins.

What is the exact problem? Is it judder or slippage? or others

Rgds

Comment

Rgds, The slip/judder issue is covered on 2001 and newer models less than 7yrs/100k mi. Your Civic would not be covered under that bulletin. Frequent trans services are a must on CVT tranny's. Oil changes every 20,000-30,000 is highly recommended.

There was a change in the fluid formulation in 2004 from what I understand that helped with this issue. If a fluid change doesn't help your problem, there is a burnishing proceedure that can be done that would be the last resort to a rebuild, if the service dept feels that it would be worth the effort.

You could do all these things and still need a tranny replaced. Please get with your Honda dealers service dept for a legitimate diagnosis. Best of luck.
                        Curtis
                        Last edited by Curtis; 12-10-2009, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Hi Curtis,

I did complaint to our Sevice Honda dealer and they don't know anything to repair it but they recommend to replace it with the new one, but the supervisor told me that to try buynig secondhand CVT from our neigbour country in Miri Malaysia.

If I'm not mistaken, it happen during our Service Honda recommend to use ATF-Z1 in year 2000. After using it , I can fell my CVT slip more and cannot reverse even 10 mins

After 5 years using it, there are the new fluid call CVTF. But oue Service Honda don't recomment it because it for the new Honda's CVT.

But after searching internet, somebody say it compatible with my Civic 1996. After replacing with it with CVTF fluid, I can fell the grip, meaning driving upper hill let say it 4000rpm with 100KM ,then back off a bit throttle to 3000rpm with constant 100KM.

I replace my CVTF fluid every 5000KM almost 4 times , just to clear previous ATF-Z1.

Can you give me the proceedors to burnishing?

B Regards

Comment

You have found your problem. NEVER use the Z1 formula in a CVT transmission. Honda makes a special CVT fluid, which you appear to now be using. It seems they caused the problem in the first place.

I would PM member "hondatech" and see what he's got to say. My tech thinks it may be too late for the trans. The burnishing procedure is for judder, not slip. It requires stepping firmly on the brake, and stepping on the gas to get your rpms about 3000-3500 rpm. Then put it in neutral and hold rpm at 3000 for 15-20 seconds to cool the fluid, then repeat. Remember to cool fluid after each power braking session. I would recommend that you leave this to someone that is certified, if you can find someone competent. Actually, I'd lay this back into the lap of the dealer that caused the problem. Best wishes.

Comment

Sorry for your problems CVTCivic. The burnishing procedure will not help you. Burnishing will only cure juddering from a stop, not slipping as your current condition. You will need to get the transmission replaced and use the current CVT fluid from Honda. If transmission replacement is impossible, you might try to get the starter clutch inside the transmission replaced. A starter clutch acts like a torque converter on regular automatic transmissons, and if the starter clutch is not working properly, you will not be able to drive forward or reverse, like in your situation. Good luck!

Comment

Hi Mr Curtis and Hondatech,

Thanks for your infor and recomendation,

For the mean time, my CVT still working as long it warm up up to 30 mins after engine cold . I'm trying to prepare something ,what if it really2 worse in future.

So, is the starter clutch inside the transmission can be repair or just replace?

Oh I forget to tell you that , let say 15 mins warm up and move stick to Reverse the it whining sound but cannot move and then move stick to D to forward cannot move but if I move stick to D1 of sudden the clutch engange a bit hard and can move forward, then again I can reverse my car.but not smooth engange. Really funny..

Comment

Working...
                                X