This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001-2005 CVT transmission Warranty Extension for Slip/Judder

This is the actual service bulletin sent out over the Honda interactive network. Call your local GX dealer, or my service dept (661) 265-6000 for more details.

Edited to add: PDF copies of the bulletins can be downloaded in post #12 below.

ID: AIN37860

To: All Honda Sales, Service, and Parts Managers
    Re: CVT Warranty Extension for Judder and/or Slipping: 2001 – 2005 Civic HX, GX, Insight; 2003 – 2005 Civic Hybrid

This warranty extension is effective 8-17-2007

NOTE: This message refers to Service Bulletins 07-049 and 07-050,which will be published in the near future.

Repair Strategy
    Judder: The repair is to diagnose the CVT according to Service Bulletin 07-049, Warranty Extension: CVT Judder. Then, only if needed, burnish the CVT start clutch or install a CVT start clutch kit.

For repair, parts, tools, and warranty information, refer to S/B 07-049.

Belt Slippage: The repair is to diagnose the CVT according to Service Bulletin 07-050, Warranty Extension: CVT Drive Belt Slippage. Then, only if needed, install a CVT lower valve body kit and update the ECM (Civic Hybrid), or replace the CVT (Civic GX, Civic HX, and Insight).

For repair, parts, and warranty information, refer to S/B 07-050.

Parts Information

Judder: CVT start clutch kits are available only through the Controlled Parts Ordering System.

Slipping: CVT lower valve body kits (for Civic Hybrids) are available only through the Controlled Parts Ordering System. To order a remanufactured CVT (for Civic GXs, Civic HXs, and Insights), refer to the IN-WARRANTY EXCHANGE section of Service Bulletin 98-061, Automatic Transmission In-Warranty Exchange Program.

Customer Notification
    Notifications will begin mailing in early September. To ensure that enough parts are available, the mailing of customer notifications will be staggered.

NOTE: Since this is not a campaign, you will not receive a campaign responsibility report. To verify that a vehicle is covered by the warranty extension, make sure the customer has a notification letterand do a VIN status inquiry.

American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
    Service Division
    Last edited by John Mitton; 11-10-2008, 09:43 PM. Reason: Fixed some formatting
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_4586_1441434431016_578[/ATTACH]

Re: 2003-2005 CVT transmission Warranty Extension for Slip/Judder

This is great news Curtis for those who are struggling with CVT (transmission) nightmares -- especially on the 2001 GX.

Since this is Honda-specific I am going to move it over to the Honda forum, with a link to it in CNG Service & Conversions.
    - John

Comment

Re: 2001-2005 CVT transmission Warranty Extension for Slip/Judder

Thanks for this information. I drive an 01 Civic and am taking it in tomorrow with a copy of this bulliten. You may have saved me about 2k! We will see. I will let you know what happens.

Byron

Comment

Curtis -

I've been wondering how to get on Honda's official list for notices since I bought my car used. I tried looking around the Honda site but didn't find anything. Am I SOL because I am not the original purchaser (and thus not the original warranty owner)? My 2002 has the judder problem (although I've noticed it much less lately - don't know if I've gotten used to it or it's gone away somewhat!)

Thanks,
        Todd
        CNG Vehicle - 2002 Honda Civic GX
        CNGPrices.com - The latest prices at CNG stations near you
        AltFuelPrices.com - Prices and station locations for CNG, E85, Biodiesel and more!

Comment

I would recommend doing 2 things.

1) Go to www.automobiles.honda.com and click on owner services on the bottom of the page, locate "Owners Link" and register your car. This is a free service provided by Honda to assist owners with the upkeep of their vehicles. Have you Vin # handy and radio code if you have one.

2) Stop into your nearest certified GX dealer and show them a copy of the service bulletin I posted. They can pull it up in their system and advise you on how they wish to proceed. If you don't get the service you think you deserve, or need, simply go somewhere else.

Keep in mind that the recall does not entitle you to a new transmission, rather a process called "burnishing the pulley's", which, if I understand the terminology, is to roughen the pulley surfaces to give the belt traction.
          Keep me posted on how things go.

Comment

Curtis
            Can you tell me if there is a mileage limit that would make your vehicle not eligible for warranty protection on the CVT issue. The reason I ask is that I recently purchased a 2001 GX that seems to be functioning OK, but I am worried about the future. It currently has 39,000 miles on it. Thanks

Comment

Robyn, the warranty extension will cover you for 7 years from the vehicles "in service date" or 100,000, whichever comes first.

I would recommend that you register with Honda's ownerlink service so that they have you as the registered owner of the vehicle. You may copy and paste this link into your browser to be taken directly to Owner Link.

https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/login.asp?page=%2Fprod%5Fhome%2Easp

Comment

Thank You! Your post saved me ~ $1200; my local Honda dealer just repaired a judder issue on my wife's 2001 Civic GX.
                Adrian

Navy 2008 Civic GX (wife's)
                Silver 2012 Toyota Prius
                Grey 2012 Civic Natural Gas (mine)

Comment

Glad I could be of service. Sometimes things just go your way...

Comment

Originally posted by btate View Post
                    Thanks for this information. I drive an 01 Civic and am taking it in tomorrow with a copy of this bulliten. You may have saved me about 2k! We will see. I will let you know what happens.

Byron
                    Well, Byron, Don't keep us in suspence... What happened?

Comment

Curtis,
                      Is there any way I can get a copy of the Service Bulletins 07-049 and 07-050? My transmission has been giving me a fit and my dealership claims there is no such thing as the extended warranty. I have a 2005 Civic Hybrid with the CVT. Any help would be appreciated.
                      Thanks,
                      John

Comment

Originally posted by JohnWhite View Post
                        Curtis,
                        Is there any way I can get a copy of the Service Bulletins 07-049 and 07-050? My transmission has been giving me a fit and my dealership claims there is no such thing as the extended warranty. I have a 2005 Civic Hybrid with the CVT. Any help would be appreciated.
                        Thanks,
                        John
                        Here you go John, I've attached both requested bulletins.
                        Attached Files

Comment

hey Curtis,
                          I have a 2003 HCH, what is this warranty extension upto? I seem to be getting the shuddering every 20000 miles. A trans fluid drop and fill seems ok, but sick of doing it so often.
                          So if i take it to the dealer, they will cover the cost of burnish?
                          Finally, i hear there is a Service Bulletin extending the CVT transmission warranty on the insight to 160000 miles. If so does that apply to the 2003 HCH CVT considering its the same engine and CVT.
                          Any Info you can provide would be great.
                          Thanks.

Comment

I posted the service bulletins that cover this issue in my previous post as attachments. As far as I know, none of these take any CVT issues to 160k mi.
                            Review the bulletins. I believe you'll find that they are 7yr/100k. Print the bulletins out and take them to your servicing dealer. If you find out anything different, please let me know. The burnishing proceedure is covered providing you fall under the terms of the bulletin.

I have found that changing fluid in the CVT every 20k-30k miles is cheap insurance against an expensive trans problem.

I know I'm going to feel foolish asking this, but what is an HCH? In 10 years with Honda I never heard of this designation.

Comment

Thanks Curtis,
                              HCH=Honda Civic Hybrid. It was new lingo for me too.
                              Also since you seem to have access to the TSB and Warranties.
                              What is the warranty extension on the IMA battery for a 2003 HCH?

Comment

Working...
                              X