Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 Honda Civic GX Misfire

Good Morning all,
    I am at wits end. My 2006 GX with 146,000 miles has become a problem. It started misfiring about 2 months ago. The only normal thing that happens is that it starts missing sometimes with a flashing check engine light and then will normally go into what seems like a default low power mode/ limp home where it runs but has no power. In this "limp home mode" the check engine light is lit up and no longer flashing and has to be reset. The code that always seems to be present is P0301 but I have also had P0302, and p0300. In the last 2 months I have: 1. Replaced the spark Plugs, 2. Replaced the coil Packs, 3.replaced injector 1 and 2, 4. Replaced the upstream and downstream O2 sensors, 5. Adjusted the valves.
    I might add that this behavior is intermittent but SEEMS to be more common when cold and maybe humid. Over the last two months I would do things and it seemed ok for a while and then came roaring back. It is a little discerning as usually it will be while I am getting on the interstate and then it loses power and I am limping along at 30 miles an hour. This failure mode almost always seems to be when giving the gas more power to accelerate rapidly. Another thing that makes me think it is somehow sensor related is that when it goes into this limp mode I can put the car in neutral and turn the engine off and restart....more times than not it will have full power again. After I adjusted the valves (and yes they were really tight....I probably had 1/2 the clearance called for intake and exhaust) It ran great for a while after thsi (which means for a day or so)....and then shortly after valve adjustment I was getting some missing on the interstate (but no limp mode) and then this morning I get the full limp mode while trying to get on the interstate.
    I have another GX that I can substitute parts from and I am open to any suggestions. I have put all oem parts on the vehicle. I am considering replacing the #1 coil pack again. I am also considering replacing the crank sensor / the cam sensor / as well as the map sensor and the air flow assembly in the air cleaner and lastly I am also considering the Catalytic converter (but the 1300-1600 oem discount part price is of course causing pause). I really don't see how it could be the Catalytic converter anyway as it is intermittent and why would a bad converter be intermittent. I also looked on ebay and saw a catalytic converter for $139 and considered just trying it....but I don't know about those units....it appeared to be the same but who knows? I have seen this problem in several threads and it always seems to end with people finally replacing the cataytic converter and then saying the problem is back afterwards sometimes soon.....sometime not so soon. I just don't see how a clogged catalytic converter would be ok and then not. But hey....what do I know....this car is literally kicking my A$$.
    I am really at wits end and would appreciate any input anyone may have....thanks
    Guy

I had the exact same symptoms you were describing last year. After 3 trips to the dealership they finally found the problem, a crack in the head. You should pressure test the cylinders to at least check before dumping in more money than you already have.
    I dealt with corporate and was able to get them to knock off a bunch, but not all of the bill.
    I have a 12 GX with around 70,000 miles on it. About a month ago I had to take my car in to the dealer because it wouldn't accelerate, it would shutter really

Comment

Originally posted by gdrag View Post
      Good Morning all,
      I am at wits end. My 2006 GX with 146,000 miles has become a problem. It started misfiring about 2 months ago. The only normal thing that happens is that it starts missing sometimes with a flashing check engine light and then will normally go into what seems like a default low power mode/ limp home where it runs but has no power. In this "limp home mode" the check engine light is lit up and no longer flashing and has to be reset. The code that always seems to be present is P0301 but I have also had P0302, and p0300. In the last 2 months I have: 1. Replaced the spark Plugs, 2. Replaced the coil Packs, 3.replaced injector 1 and 2, 4. Replaced the upstream and downstream O2 sensors, 5. Adjusted the valves.
      I might add that this behavior is intermittent but SEEMS to be more common when cold and maybe humid. Over the last two months I would do things and it seemed ok for a while and then came roaring back. It is a little discerning as usually it will be while I am getting on the interstate and then it loses power and I am limping along at 30 miles an hour. This failure mode almost always seems to be when giving the gas more power to accelerate rapidly. Another thing that makes me think it is somehow sensor related is that when it goes into this limp mode I can put the car in neutral and turn the engine off and restart....more times than not it will have full power again. After I adjusted the valves (and yes they were really tight....I probably had 1/2 the clearance called for intake and exhaust) It ran great for a while after thsi (which means for a day or so)....and then shortly after valve adjustment I was getting some missing on the interstate (but no limp mode) and then this morning I get the full limp mode while trying to get on the interstate.
      I have another GX that I can substitute parts from and I am open to any suggestions. I have put all oem parts on the vehicle. I am considering replacing the #1 coil pack again. I am also considering replacing the crank sensor / the cam sensor / as well as the map sensor and the air flow assembly in the air cleaner and lastly I am also considering the Catalytic converter (but the 1300-1600 oem discount part price is of course causing pause). I really don't see how it could be the Catalytic converter anyway as it is intermittent and why would a bad converter be intermittent. I also looked on ebay and saw a catalytic converter for $139 and considered just trying it....but I don't know about those units....it appeared to be the same but who knows? I have seen this problem in several threads and it always seems to end with people finally replacing the cataytic converter and then saying the problem is back afterwards sometimes soon.....sometime not so soon. I just don't see how a clogged catalytic converter would be ok and then not. But hey....what do I know....this car is literally kicking my A$$.
      I am really at wits end and would appreciate any input anyone may have....thanks
      Guy
      did you ever find the problem to the car? i'm having the same problem. went through new plugs and coils. it runs fine for a week and then it acts up again?

Comment

Working...
      X