Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why won't Honda honor the 15/150 warranty in California?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why won't Honda honor the 15/150 warranty in California?

Our 2010 civic GX seems to have a failed solenoid valve. The dealer and American Honda have denied warranty coverage under the AT PZEV designation of the vehicle. I even showed them the last page of the manual that states: "Miscellaneous Parts that are used in conjunction with the items in this list" (Fuel Tank) "are covered. Some examples are ... solenoids."

Has anyone else had any luck getting Honda to honor the 15yr 150k mile warranty? My next stop will be the California Air Resources Board.

I have owned each of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd gen Honda GX's. This has been the most disappointing event throughout the otherwise enjoyable experience of owning these cars. I guess that since Honda left the CNG market, they will not even support the cars that are still on the road.

Would anyone on this forum like to help me make some noise?
    Attached Files

Someone on the forum did get Honda to pay for one,I will have to search. It was about 2 or 3 years ago. IIRC he really had to push hard at Honda. IIRC the Emissions warranty issue would be triggered by failing an emissions test.

Comment

Many of us ran into problems that owned CNG Caravans that could no longer get the CNG catalytic converters because Chrysler Corp no longer supported their product.

Comment

Up until a couple of years ago, Honda would not sell the valve , only the complete cylinder ( about $6k at list price) . Then Honda started selling the valve assy. but it's around $1k from Honda and about 5 book hours of labor.

Comment

Here is a thread where the Civic GX owner was able to get this covered under warranty... its a long discussion and at around page 3 is where Honda turns the corner and agrees to the claim:
          http://www.cngchat.com/forum/forum/c...rt-7000-repair

In the above discussion the car is about 10 years old and in Utah so there was no appeal to CARB's regulations.
          Hope this helps. You seem to have a slam-dunk warranty claim based on the supplied documentation!

Comment

UPDATE!
            Paperwork was filed with CARB, and they called last week to follow up. The air resources board agreed that the terms of the warranty are clear and should apply. Nonetheless, they said it could take a few more weeks.

Today American Honda called and said that their "system was just updated" and now the part is covered under warranty. They refused to confirm why they had a change of heart, and refused to even acknowledge the response with an email. If anyone else in California (or another state following CARB rules) has had to pay for a new solenoid tank valve it may be worthwhile to ask for reimbursement. The turmoil and anxiety caused by Honda is inexcusable. They must have a policy of making warranty repairs brutally uncomfortable to the point that most people just give up. I can only hope that by posting about this ordeal, someone else will have an easier go of it. I had no choice but to pay for repair outside of the dealership, we will see if they honor reimbursement.

Cheers,
            J

Comment

Great news, thanks for sharing!
              Where did you get the valve replaced? I will dust off the old Service Shops thread and post it in there:
              http://www.cngchat.com/forum/forum/g...-master-thread

Comment

I also have had a bad experience with Honda dealership in Ontario (penske) failed to honor the warranty stating that replacing parts that are listed on warranty are NOT covered if they are considered maintenance.

Comment

I just had my 2012 Honda tank re-certifiied. The mechanic replaced the fuel nozzle. He said it had developed a "lip" and a fueling device could stick. Is this a part that Honda would have covered?

Comment

Originally posted by jdeisenm View Post
                    I just had my 2012 Honda tank re-certifiied. The mechanic replaced the fuel nozzle. He said it had developed a "lip" and a fueling device could stick. Is this a part that Honda would have covered?
                    I think it is due to normal wear and not covered, at least that's what they told me when the replaced my'n on my 2004 NGV.

Comment

Working...
                    X