2012 GX with blown head gasket

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 GX with blown head gasket

I have a 12 GX with around 70,000 miles on it. About a month ago I had to take my car in to the dealer because it wouldn't accelerate, it would shutter really hard and not get up to speed. The CEL was flashing so I limped it home and had to towed to the dealer ($141). They adjusted the valves and changed the LP filter, which I had just replaced in December. I pick it up, drive out of the dealership, get on the highway and bam! same exact thing happened, flashing CEL and all. So I turn right back around and drop it off at the dealership again. They say it was bad spark plugs, replaced all four at no charge. So when I pick it up (now the second time) all seems to be fine for about a week and a half. Then, earlier this week, I again felt some small shuttering after I first get on the road but it would go away after about half way to work (50 miles away). Then yesterday morning I had to pass a semi on the highway and it lost power and hard shuttering again!! Very mad at this point but the dealer did pay to have it towed in.
    Dealer just called me earlier to say that I have a blown head gasket at $2500 replacement cost. They want to mill the head also. After talking to him a bit they took it down to $1600. They told me that there are no recalls on this 12 GX.
    My question is has anyone heard of this happening on a GX with under 100,000 miles?
    Is there a reason (besides overheating) that this happened or an underlying cause to blow the gasket.
    Does CNG burn hotter than gasoline? I know the GX has a high compression ratio than a gasoline civic but don't they put in a different head to handle the compression? Maybe too much heat and pressure for a china made gasket?
    Any help or information yall can provide would be appreciated. Talking points to get my bill lower, haha.

Make absolutely sure they use new oem head bolts. The oem Honda parts I have seen from China meet the same quality standards or Honda will not use the vendor....Yes, CNG burns at a higher temp, but the engine is designed for the higher compression and temperature. If the head is not warped, why do they want to mill it ? and if it is warped, Why? Any history of overheating ? If Honda corporate will not pay for the out of warranty repair as a " Goodwill " customer accomodation, that price is about the lowest you will get from a dealer. Have you called Honda corporate to complain ?
    Last edited by Lakewood90712; 03-11-2017, 07:29 AM.

Comment

I just off the phone with corporate, expecting a call back in 1business by a case manager.
      No there is no history of overheating. No wrecks as far as I know of. I bought it preowned at 18000 miles. So the original OEM bolts are bad? Has Honda produced new stronger bolts since then? I'm a little confused on that part.
      Thanks for the help Lakewood.

Comment

Virtually all modern engines use ' torque to yeild" headbolts. They are designed for one use only. If the dealer is going to cut corners to lower the bill, that is something that could be involved in the new lower price you were quoted. In theory, torque to yeild headboulds could be re-used, but it is my understanding that the fastener changes changes after each use. and would require lab testing.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaIWDUC0CAA
        Last edited by Lakewood90712; 03-13-2017, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Your first post doesn't really support a blown head gasket especially since the problem went away for a while. Have you noticed any coolant loss or do you see any bubbling in the coolant reservoir with the engine running?

Comment

If would really help if you told us which CEL codes - can you pull codes?
            Mine also bogs or bucks under acceleration from time to time but is not throwing any codes. Can't seem to nail down what the issue is.

Comment

It's been a while since I've signed in here. Better late then never though. Last year the dealer finally found the real problem. A crack in the head. I had to deal with corporate for a while and instead of $3500 I paid $1000. I was out of warranty and it wasn't a certified preowned was their reasoning for not paying for it completely. I got it back and it's been running great since the brand new head was installed. I'm at 95k now.

Comment

Working...
              X