Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Low pressure filter bent after taking canister off - 2 year update (sad)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low pressure filter bent after taking canister off - 2 year update (sad)

So I changed my low pressure filter myself a couple of years ago, using the correct tools, depressurizing the system, etc.
    The canister was bent, and I put it back on after changing the filter, used a sniffer, and all was good.
    I vowed never to do the change myself again.

Today I took it to the dealer to have it changed (30k miles later). After 1.3 hours they couldn't get it off (I had tightened to spec).
    When they torqued, they saw the entire regulator mechanism moving, and Honda told them that if this happens, they have to replace the whole regulator.

In short, I'm sort of up a creek here. They quoted me $2300 to replace the regulator.

I contacted Honda Corporate in Torrance... I am hoping they can do something.

Bought the car to be a good environmental citizen, as my neighbors fill their driveways with SUVs. Now I fear a poorly designed filter system is going to force me to sell it...

I'll let you know what happens. Any other advice?

Re: Low pressure filter bent after taking canister off - 2 year update (sad)

What year Civic? From your previous posts, I assume you are talking about your 2011. You can buy that pressure regulator from www.hondapartscheap.com for $1603. Apple Auto Dismantling in Willmington, CA has a salvage car that may still have a good used regulator on it.
    Last edited by hypermilinggx; 04-03-2015, 01:49 AM.

Comment

What are the operating specs on the honda pressure regulator? Output pressure? How is it heated? any data outputs to the computer? any lockoff switch on it? what is the input fitting? output fitting?

Can someone post some pics of it? There has to be a cheaper way to replace these things. I feel horrible for Honda drivers who have to pay these ridiculous repair fees.

Comment

There is a company in southern California that rebuilds them and they also have a design filter housing unit with drain port. It's a better upgrade and when servicing it the common bent will not happen.

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by GOCNG3 View Post
          There is a company in southern California that rebuilds them and they also have a design filter housing unit with drain port. It's a better upgrade and when servicing it the common bent will not happen.

Scott
          CNG Consulting of California (310) 612-7745

Comment

Thanks (also for the private message). That modification is a great idea. It's like a real automotive engineer put some thought behind that design...

Yes, mine is a 2011.

We'll see. If it costs me $2300 to fix I'll likely just sell and stop proselytizing about the car.

Comment

real simple if the car is running good and you are just changing it because you think it is time. just leave it alone.

DAS
              Just my uneducated opinion

Comment

So after a 2 week 'investigation', "David" from American Honda x117762 told me that Honda, as a 'one time courtesy in the interests of customer service' would give me a whopping $200 credit on the $2000 repair after he corroborated my case with the dealer and verified with his field manager that 'this is a known issue'.

Wow. Totally underwhelmed. I have to hand it to Honda for making a production-line environmentally responsible car.
                But in terms of understanding customer service? F.

This is standing behind your vehicle?

Comment

Wonder if anyone from Alternative Fuel Vehicles, American Honda Motor Co., Inc. is monitoring this and willing to join this conversation. I believe it is critical to do so if Honda is interested to sell more Civic NG. My enthusiasm is very much gone and big part is a fact that Honda did nothing in 'this is a known issue' as well charges high dollar for simple parts for NG cars.

Comment

Originally posted by exLeaf View Post
                    Wonder if anyone from Alternative Fuel Vehicles, American Honda Motor Co., Inc. is monitoring this and willing to join this conversation. I believe it is critical to do so if Honda is interested to sell more Civic NG. My enthusiasm is very much gone and big part is a fact that Honda did nothing in 'this is a known issue' as well charges high dollar for simple parts for NG cars.
                    I received one of those market research surveys from a firm employed by American Honda Motor Co. a couple of days ago asking "How did we do?"
                    Well, I told them how they did. We'll see if anyone actually reads those things, responds and really cares about their customers...

Comment

This one truly hits home.

Last year I had the same issue where I had to replace the LPF. Granted I don't take the car with 130K miles on it now to honda. As I take it to a very trusted mechanic. I had to bite the bullet and took it to honda because the car wouldn't start one morning. Because it was due for the LPF change and it was already up on the lift, I had them do the change... They called me up and said the canister was bent and they didn't want to touch it... So I took it back to my regular mechanic who was able to remove the canister and inspect everything. All it needed was a new canister and the regulator was good... WHEW.
                      Long story short, the thread is crap and the housing is crap and torquing the thing to spec bends the canister where the nut is.
                      If you do it yourself, use a bit of extra lube on the thread because if it dries, your in trouble.
                      After the honda inspection by the warranty manager who had to come down from sacramento said nothing and that it was the mechanics fault. I was shafted by Honda. Thanks Honda!

Need to figure this into the cost of ownership of a Phill because I change the LPF every 2 years now and it is always dry...
                      Last edited by lcovelli; 05-07-2015, 10:38 AM.
                      Silver 09 GX
                      Phill G:1.5

Comment

When Honda had a lot of Civic NG for sale presence of people from Alternative Fuel Vehicles, American Honda Motor Co., Inc. was visible here. In fact I was assured by them that this is great car without any issues. What happened, they no longer interested to see how the car is doing?

Comment

Jsorger: sorry to hear that happened. Any final resolution?

Does anyone know if this design has improved since? is it still a known issue on the MY 2012 and up?

Comment

Originally posted by Nam View Post
                            Jsorger: sorry to hear that happened. Any final resolution?

Does anyone know if this design has improved since? is it still a known issue on the MY 2012 and up?

Sorry to say that they have not changed the design.

No resolution. Zero contact from American Honda.
                            It appears they simply don't care.

I remembered high school physics and was thinking of freezing the canister with the hopes of making it slightly smaller to help ease it off?
                            Then again it may make it more brittle and impossible to remove.

I'm probably going to buy a cheap sniffer from Lowe's or someplace since I now personally have doubts about the integrity of the regulator system given the forces one needs to torque off the canister.
                            I'm also no longer driving my young kids around in the car like I used to...

My confidence in Honda has been shaken. I don't want to have my car go boom when I'm commuting on 101.

Comment

Originally posted by jsorger View Post
                              Sorry to say that they have not changed the design.

No resolution. Zero contact from American Honda.
                              It appears they simply don't care.

I remembered high school physics and was thinking of freezing the canister with the hopes of making it slightly smaller to help ease it off?
                              Then again it may make it more brittle and impossible to remove.

I'm probably going to buy a cheap sniffer from Lowe's or someplace since I now personally have doubts about the integrity of the regulator system given the forces one needs to torque off the canister.
                              I'm also no longer driving my young kids around in the car like I used to...

My confidence in Honda has been shaken. I don't want to have my car go boom when I'm commuting on 101.
                              That sucks for jsorger. I used his DIY video to change my own fuel filter. My fuel filter came off with no struggle whatsoever.... I fortunately did have access to the correct tools to get it off easier. Applying side load while twisting and not having correct tools will increase your chances of damaging the canister...

http://www.cngchat.com/forum/showthr...9376#post69376
                              Last edited by bmwzimmer; 06-11-2015, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X