Honda Civic GX Fuel Injector Failures Again

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honda Civic GX Fuel Injector Failures Again

Man I'm having all kinds of CNG related maintenance issues this winter. The latest is another fuel injector is giving me problems on my older (2000) Civic GX. Last one I replaced cost $169.00 at Autozone. I thought I'd try a fuel injector shop this time. They say they can provide a remanufactured one for $57.42 with core. Has anyone had any luck having their fuel injectrors rebuilt for the GX? Let me know. Thanks.

P.S. I apologize if this thread repeats itself - my system glitched and I don't think the first post took.

Re: Honda Civic GX Fuel Injector Failures Again

joe_kan,

When I had cng consulting work on my 1999 GX with injectors problems last Aug 2012 .Had them cleaned and Flow tested from RC Fuel Injection.
    http://www.rceng.com/

They do great work plus you get test result worksheet and they put 0-rings on the injectors. Should should contact them.

Scott

Comment

Is there a reason 98-00 gx owners aren't cleaning their injectors or having them cleaned instead of going straight to replacement?

Here's my situation. I've follwed CNG related stuff for quite a while but just bought a 98 gx with 123k miles. Previous owner just had honda replace pre-cat, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil. Second day I owned it I started it at 20 degrees F, got the flashing CEL. Scanned and found codes for misfire 1&3. Very concerned I spent 4 hours researching, concluded that my best bet was to clean or replace injector(s). Cleaned them yesterday, removed each one and ran cleaner through them (follwed youtube method). Then cleaned the high pressure filter housing (filter looked good inside but need to find a new filter) and put 1/2 inch of injector cleaner in bottom (method linked here somewhere), reinstalled and drove it for a while. Started it this morning at ~20 degrees F, runs fine, haven't had the CEL back yet but a few weeks will tell.

It took a while because of the learning curve but if that solved it, what an inexpensive repair! I really appreciate the info shared here by all. I may be missing something on the subject at hand here so let me know. Thanks.

(If a moderator would do me a favor and bump up my post count so I could initiate related and other topics, that would be appreciated.)

Comment

I think it is great if you can clean/rebuild the injectors yourself. I've always bought new/rebuilt ones in the past because I don't have the equipment to do it as well as the professionals; sonic bath, assortments of filters/o-rings, specialized tools/fluids. This is my 2nd injector that has gone bad so I might try it next time I have a problem injector. Never had a vehicle before with really expensive fuel injectors so it was never worth the effort to do it myself. Maybe I'll tap you on your procedure next time I have an injector issue. I have already sent the problem injectors out for rebuild so it is too late this time. They are charging me $57.00 and injector - does that sound reasonable?

Originally posted by born2pdl View Post
        Is there a reason 98-00 gx owners aren't cleaning their injectors or having them cleaned instead of going straight to replacement? ...

Comment

Originally posted by joe_kan View Post
          They are charging me $57.00 and injector - does that sound reasonable?
          That cost sounds fine. Sorry my post sounded critical, I was really just questioning if I failed to considered something.

A "rebuilt" injector is in reality probably just a cleaned and flow/spray tested injector. Injectors are very technical items, not servicable but usually cleanable. The youtube cleaning method isn't scientific but makes sense, opening and closing can be verified, and the spray pattern can be verified.

Comment

Quick follow-up on my 98gx. It's been 2~3 weeks since I cleaned my (original) injectors and put injector cleaner in the high pressure filter housing. No CEL since, running great.

I highly recommend using the methods I used and described above. Definitely worth it for me, and should save my precat. I plan to do the "cleaner in the HP filter housing" at least annually since its so easy.

Comment

Originally posted by born2pdl View Post
              Quick follow-up on my 98gx. It's been 2~3 weeks since I cleaned my (original) injectors and put injector cleaner in the high pressure filter housing. No CEL since, running great.

I highly recommend using the methods I used and described above. Definitely worth it for me, and should save my precat. I plan to do the "cleaner in the HP filter housing" at least annually since its so easy.
              Just remember , injector cleaner is a very aggresive solvent , and putting it in the filter housing will send it thru your pressure regulator, a very high cost ( way over $1,000), non rebuildable part .

Comment

I appreciate the warning. Might be best to just stick with removing the injectors for cleaning when needed then. Sending them out for cleaning and testing should be pretty reasonable too for those who want to go that way.

Comment

Lakewood90712 - So putting injector cleaner is not recommended to be put in the fuel filter housing? I know there was a service bulletin the recommended this procedure for the contours, maybe they're built differently to be able to handle this? I have a bi-fuel cavalier that I did this too and here I thought I was being all preventative and such, does the cavalier have a pressure regulator or some other part that might be compromised by putting cleaner into the fuel filter housing?

Born2pdl - how is your car running? The dealer insists that my misfires are due to fuel injectors at this point(there's been a long history of him being wrong.) But I'm sure they could use a good cleaning. Could you point in the direction of the youtube video, I've watched one but would like to see the one you're referring to especially if it worked for you.

Thanks for the replies! I love this forum!

Comment

Originally posted by Pclement View Post
                    Lakewood90712 - So putting injector cleaner is not recommended to be put in the fuel filter housing? I know there was a service bulletin the recommended this procedure for the contours, maybe they're built differently to be able to handle this? I have a bi-fuel cavalier that I did this too and here I thought I was being all preventative and such, does the cavalier have a pressure regulator or some other part that might be compromised by putting cleaner into the fuel filter housing?

Born2pdl - how is your car running? The dealer insists that my misfires are due to fuel injectors at this point(there's been a long history of him being wrong.) But I'm sure they could use a good cleaning. Could you point in the direction of the youtube video, I've watched one but would like to see the one you're referring to especially if it worked for you.

Thanks for the replies! I love this forum!
                    As far as I know, only Ford mentions using cleaning solvents fed into the system. Honda DOES NOT, and I also have a cavi, I don't think gm approved putting cleaner in either. The High pressure regulator on the cavi is an impco part, so it's at a reasonable cost. The low pressure reg on the cavi (has a filter attached ) I don't know the cost.

Just why do you need to clean , if your fuel supplier is selling clean, oil free cng ?

Comment

The filter on the late model Cavalier is located on the intermediate pressure line----after the HPR. There is a LPR located just after the lockoff valve above the transmission. It is a piston style regulator and I don't think any solvents would damage it. That being said, it is really easy to get the injectors out of a Cavalier to clean injectors and inspect the filter screens.

Comment

Hi, I am new here and I did had the same problem and to cut expenses I would like now to replace the fuel injector by my self, could any one tell me the steps to do safe, I am not totally sure how to cut the gas pressure to do that. ???

Comment

All - An update after a few years. I never had any luck sending the fuel injectors out for cleaning (2000 Honda Civic GX) by a professional fuel injector shop. They either did not work any better when I got them back or started to be problematic shortly after re-installing them. Tried this on 4 different injectors. I see Auto Zone is no longer selling them for $160 so I recently ordered them through Rock Auto for about $160. Seems like the #1 injector develops more problems than the rest. Got a few old ones if anybody wants them (shipping costs only) since I only put new ones in these days. and there is no reason for me to keep them anymore. Gave a few to the fellow that purchased another GX I had and used permanent ink to write "BAD" on them.

Comment

Confirmed proper fuel injector at Rock Auto for $157 - just installed two in my son's GX and it is running well again.

Comment

Working...
                            X