03 GX , Hard to start when cold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 03 GX , Hard to start when cold

I've recently purchased a used 2003 civic gx with 150,000 miles on it. I got a pretty good deal on it because the guy who sold it to me said that it was burning though ignition coils fairly quickly... every few months one would go... I read this thread before I purchased the car and figured that by torquing the spark plugs to the mentioned spec I could resolve the problem.

After buying the car I checked all the spark plugs and found they were tightened to spec (I used a cheap torque wrench though). This worried me because I thought this was going to be the cars problem! I called the local dealer up here in Salt Lake City and asked them about this kind of problem. They said that it was probably the injectors and that it would cost $2600 to get them replaced. I'm a little panicked now because I don't think the car is worth putting that much into.

Does this sound like a probable issue? What are my other options if it is an injector problem? What do you think?

Also... this car has pretty new NGK PFR7N-D spark plugs that look fine. It is a little difficult to start in the cold and sputters a little when starting up and when stopping does that also point to the injectors?

Re: 03 GX , Hard to start when cold

have the fuel filters been replaced?

what happens on CNG cars is that there's oil in the natural gas you get at fast fill stations and it clogs up the injectors if you don't regularly change the filters.

if they've never or rarely been replaced then the injectors could be clogged.

Comment

Thanks, I'm not sure when the last fuel filter replacement was. There are two filters right? one for each pressure? How difficult is it to replace one of these and how much do they cost?

Also, if this has caused the injectors to clog how difficult is it to replace them on your own? I know the shop wants $2600 to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post
        Thanks, I'm not sure when the last fuel filter replacement was. There are two filters right? one for each pressure? How difficult is it to replace one of these and how much do they cost?

Also, if this has caused the injectors to clog how difficult is it to replace them on your own? I know the shop wants $2600 to do it.
        it's cake but you have to be careful since CNG is under high pressure.

read this guide to change the high pressure filter (the one right after the gas tank)
        http://cngchat.com/forum/showthread....05-Post-1-of-2

there's also a video of it:
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ9DZx_p1PY

the vid will also teach you how to shut off the CNG and work with it.

replace the low pressure filter (by the engine) per this guide:
        http://cngchat.com/forum/showthread....6632#post26632

you can then try driving it for a while, hoping that the now filtered CNG pushes all the oil out of the injectors. your current filters may be saturated with oil and may be feeding oil into the injectors.

if it doesn't you can pick up 4 new injectors from autozone for 169 each. you may need to get O-rings too.
        http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par.../N-jhhxpZ8vd08

Comment

This is great, a million thanks. I also found the link describing how to change the low pressure fuel filter, should I change this as well or why wouldn't I? It looks to be quite a bit more expensive.

Just to make sure I have this straight the clogged fuel injectors could be causing both the injection coils to burn out quickly and the car to start poorly?

How bad of a job is it to put in the auto zone injectors? I imagine half of the procedure is the same as the procedure for the filters.

Comment

you should change both filters if the last change date is unknown.

i'm going off of what your dealer told you about your injectors.

fuel injectors are easy. they're at the top of the engine and are easy accessible.

I would just change your filters first to see if that fixes anything.

Comment

Thanks for your help. It's running smooth now. I replaced cylinder 3 injector and put in new filters.

Comment

Working...
              X