Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 GX CVT issue

Hello all

I have read the threads dealing with the CVT, and wonder if thats whats going on with mine. I did ask the Honda dealer to check to see if there was a recall or anything on my VIN, but it didn't show anything, but the service bulletin that is sticky may not have come up unless they specifically looked for it.

So I bought this used, and there was some slight "judder" I guess is what people call this. Not knowing anything about CVT operation, it was unusual but not alarming since it otherwise seemed fine. I had the car in the shop for warranty work (thats another thread to talk about extended warranties, Im a fan) and when i got it out, there seemed to be a worse issue. When the RPMs hit around 1500 and up to 2000, I get what I first thought was the engine missing (as in the plugs firing), a distinct shuddering or such. Pretty much what I got on my truck when the fuel pump was going out. So that was my first instinct, but couple things have me thinking its the CVT. First, it never does it first thing in the morning, till after I'm down the street and getting on the freeway. Second, if I baby it so i don't accelerate fast, but very gradual, it doesn't do that. And third, if I pop to second, forcing the RPMs up to around 2000, it goes away. So if it was fuel or spark, pushing the RPMs higher like that would tend to discount that. Once I am up above 2000, I get no issues at all when just cruising down the road so again, if it was fuel or spark...that should be occurring even worse at the higher RPM.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Before I go back to the Honda dealer, I'd rather have something to back up what I am saying rather than....ummm...sure you hooked everything back up?

Thanks for reading.

Re: 2005 GX CVT issue

Utah - I have an '02 GX and had a similar problem. I too suspected the tranny, but after reading some posts in this forum about ignition coil problems, I decided that was worth trying out. I replaced mine, and the problem was solved! My problem was the car sometimes hesitated and shuddered at around 2000 rpms when accelerating. In neutral it was always fine. I too thought it mimicked a gasoline fuel pump problem. Occasionally it wanted to stall, and even stalled once when passing that rpm. I thought for a while that it was the infamous CVT judder, but it never got any worse, so I started to suspect something else. Ignition coils are significantly cheaper, so I'd try that before replacing or burnishing the tranny. Please let us know what you find!
    02 GX

Comment

Originally posted by utah View Post
      Hello all

I have read the threads dealing with the CVT, and wonder if thats whats going on with mine. I did ask the Honda dealer to check to see if there was a recall or anything on my VIN, but it didn't show anything, but the service bulletin that is sticky may not have come up unless they specifically looked for it.

So I bought this used, and there was some slight "judder" I guess is what people call this. Not knowing anything about CVT operation, it was unusual but not alarming since it otherwise seemed fine. I had the car in the shop for warranty work (thats another thread to talk about extended warranties, Im a fan) and when i got it out, there seemed to be a worse issue. When the RPMs hit around 1500 and up to 2000, I get what I first thought was the engine missing (as in the plugs firing), a distinct shuddering or such. Pretty much what I got on my truck when the fuel pump was going out. So that was my first instinct, but couple things have me thinking its the CVT. First, it never does it first thing in the morning, till after I'm down the street and getting on the freeway. Second, if I baby it so i don't accelerate fast, but very gradual, it doesn't do that. And third, if I pop to second, forcing the RPMs up to around 2000, it goes away. So if it was fuel or spark, pushing the RPMs higher like that would tend to discount that. Once I am up above 2000, I get no issues at all when just cruising down the road so again, if it was fuel or spark...that should be occurring even worse at the higher RPM.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Before I go back to the Honda dealer, I'd rather have something to back up what I am saying rather than....ummm...sure you hooked everything back up?

Thanks for reading.
      Not knowing mileage, etc. Do a tune up on the car. Plugs, air filter, fuel filters.

Start cheap, then go expensive.

Comment

As mentioned, I do have the extended after market warranty, so if its the CVT, then it will be covered. I'm actually taking it to the dealer tonight to see what they think. I'm going to print out the sticky note on the CVT as well. And thanks Rodney, your exactly the kind of response I was looking for. The fact that...it was NOT doing this before I took it into the shop for a bunch of work, and once leaving it, the problem started had me thinking it was perhaps something else than the CVT. The idle is a little rough, but nothing really too odd (other than my 97 F250 with 290K on it idles smoother). Your situation seems to be very similar. How hard are the coils to change?

Comment

oh...50K miles, unknown last tuneup done it it, just bought it in July. How often do you need to change out the plugs on these? I know they are expensive, or more than normal gas fired plug

Comment

How hard are the coils to change?
            Extremely easy. An oil and oil filter change is much more difficult in comparison! I would recommend it even for those not mechanically inclined. Coils were about $65 each for me from non-Honda auto parts store.
            02 GX

Comment

oh...50K miles, unknown last tuneup done it it, just bought it in July. How often do you need to change out the plugs on these? I know they are expensive, or more than normal gas fired plug
              My '01 GX got one coil at 39K another at 65K and the last 2 at 95K , If I recall correctly. Didn't change the original plugs till 104k. Th oem specific plug is about $20-25 each at the dealer and $12-15 on the internet. It's double plat. , but nothing I can see to make them worth that much.

I would agree about coils being easier than an oil change. A lot cleaner too.

Comment

Just remember to set the torque on the plugs per factory specs. I learned after my second set of coils that incorrect torque on the plugs changes the plugs resistance and burns out the coils.

When I first got my '04, I could have sworn the tranny was slipping. It turned out to be two cracked coil packs. I might suggest you have them checked and replaced under warranty, if possible, before tackling the tranny. It may not be the problem.
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_4586_1441434431016_578[/ATTACH]

Comment

So just to report. I took it into my Honda dealer, and had the jr tech take it on a drive and of course the problem didnt present itself in the manner of its normal hesitations, etc. But to his credit, he asked...what does the fluid look like? I had checked the levels, just to be sure it wasn't low and recalled the color was darkish...bad....bad....if someone had put in normal ATF. Turns out, it just was way dirty, so they did a quick change of it and the big "judder" I had cleared up. Cool. Cept the hesitation was still there. So next morning back I went, this time went on a drive with the sr mechanic and he said probably NOT the CVT but felt like it was just missing. Suggested first do the plugs (not using Bosh or champion) and if that didnt clear it...try swapping a new coil one at a time to see if it might be that. His method was...try the least expensive thing. I'll have to check my warranty, but good chance that the coils are covered on it (doubt plugs are). Is there a way to check coils...either visual inspection or a test? I'm an EE so I have electrical testing gear.

Comment

Forgot to ask...where can you find the torque settings for the plugs?

Comment

On the coilpacks. Just pull them out and look for fine cracks on the plastic shaft. Nothing will show up testing with an ohm meter , just do a visual. If any are bad, you will see it.

Comment

...where can you find the torque settings for the plugs?
                        It's funny you ask! I just had this exchange with Curtis on the very same topic: http://cngchat.com/forum/showthread....n-01-05-Models
                        02 GX

Comment

Working...
                        X