Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 4x4 Chevrolet 2500HD Dedicated

Hello,

I'm a veteran CNG user (I've owned a Honda 1999 CNG Civic since 2001 and I am contemplating the purchase of a truck that runs on CNG. I've had great experience with dedicated CNG vehicles and crappy experience with bi-fuels (my 1994 bi-fuel GMC 1500 Sierra turned out to be a total unserviceable lemon. Does anybody know about the vehicle I am contemplating a purchase on (2005 4x4 Chevrolet 2500HD Dedicated)? Some people have told me that Chevy never made dedicated but this vehicle proves this not to be true.....any thoughts? It only has 60k miles on it and looks like a decent deal for $12k....

thanks in advance!

Re: 2005 4x4 Chevrolet 2500HD Dedicated

governor
    My 2006 Silverado 4x4 extended cab is a fantastic truck (BI-fuel). It has dual separate injectors for each fuel type and I have not had any trouble with them. Decent range with the large CNG tank. The fuel mileage is not the best but for a 4:10 differiental gear ratio & 6.0L engine not too bad, top MPG on CNG is 16 mpg with 100% highway keeping the speed at reasonable MPH and about 12 MPG pulling a large atv trailer with some city driving mixed in. This truck starts instantly on CNG not unlike my 2001 cavalier that needs to be cranked a few seconds on CNG to start. I agree that Dedicated CNG is less things to go wrong, however, a couple times a year I take a longer trip where no CNG is available and would not be able to take the truck there with out some gasoline to get me by. Your choice of a 2005 Dedicated sounds like a good choice for your driving needs. Best Regards, Jon

Comment

They did make dedicated truck but very few, I have only seen one. I have 8000 hrs on my 05 Bi-fuel with almost no problems. My HPL sticks sometime when the tank is below 1/4 but this has been happening less. I average about 10-13mpg but it is a crew cab 4X4 with 33's and 4.10 gears. It dosnt have much power but can still pull 12,000lb trailer, just takes a week to get to speed.
      Last edited by ericguy320; 10-11-2011, 05:07 PM.
      GM World Class, F1 Cert
      05 Crew cab 4X4 Silverado LS
      03 Cavalier
      01 Cavalier (sold)

Comment

I would imagine that the dedicated Silverados have more GGE capacity than the bi-fuel models. There could be another tank under the vehicle where the gasoline tank would be. Am I mistaken?
        Jared.
        Mountain Green, Utah
        2003 CNG Cavalier
        2003 CNG Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Highmarker View Post
          I would imagine that the dedicated Silverados have more GGE capacity than the bi-fuel models. There could be another tank under the vehicle where the gasoline tank would be. Am I mistaken?
          They are the same tank. the metal line routing is differnt. 20.9 for A type 4 and 20 for a type 2
          GM World Class, F1 Cert
          03 Cavalier
          01 Cavalier (sold)

Comment

hi , nov 17th
            yesterday my nephew bought an 02 silverado detecated cng at an auction .. he was suprised it has only one tank .. he had just sold his detecated ford f150 that had 3 tanks .. the range on the ford was about 270 miles .. a guy who has the same chevy truck as my nephew told him the range should be around 200 miles ..
            i dont know the size of his tank .. i looked under the hood and saw an IMPCO sticker ..

03 crown vic
            2008 phil
            Last edited by andrew c; 11-17-2011, 03:34 PM. Reason: forgot ending

Comment

Its a 20 gal tank and will usually get 14-15 on fast fill. I get about 170-180 miles on a tank but with 31" tires that will bring it up to about 200 with the stock 245 tires.
              GM World Class, F1 Cert
              03 Cavalier
              01 Cavalier (sold)

Comment

ok thanks ..
                this guy who told him 200 miles ..
                he says he made his own phil out of a scuba compresser for $1500 .. it takes an hour to fill up .
                sound kinds dangerous ..
                we have wet fuel around here and my phil will sometimes stick on drying and blowback.

03 crown vic
                2008 phil

Comment

20 gge an hour, man that scuba compressor must have been the sive of a semi trailer lol
                  GM World Class, F1 Cert
                  03 Cavalier
                  01 Cavalier (sold)

Comment

Also governor, as it is dedicated CNG you will get HOV lane access in Utah. UDOT now follows this list for eligibility criteria and I see the truck on the list:
                    http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/carpool.htm

You might want to check the emission sticker under hood prior to purchase to ensure it has GM Test Group 5GMXT06.0197
                    Last edited by John Mitton; 11-18-2011, 11:16 AM.

Comment

I have a 2004 silverado 2wd factory bi-fuel that I'm thinking of selling. How much should i ask for it?

Extended cab, 23,000 miles, good looking pewter color with no dents or rust or any problems. Very nice, power windows, locks, mirrors. I've always used Amsoil even changed the transmission to it. Only thing wrong with it is that it needs new tires (the factory tires are still on it but they never last long and are worn out). Plus they were small anyway (245/75/R16) but I wanted to let them wear out before putting new larger ones on it. I was planning on putting on 265/75/R16 but I thought the new owner might want to pick out their own.

Let me know what you think I should ask for it.

Comment

Take a look at CNGutah.com site and you can see what they go for. I got mine from a guy in KS, fully loaded LS 4X4 with 160k for around $12k. The truck was a landscaping truck so the bed was used hard and it had a dent in the side.
                        GM World Class, F1 Cert
                        03 Cavalier
                        01 Cavalier (sold)

Comment

I'm looking at 2005 2500HD with 2wd. I notice the EPA site has it rated at 8 city 11 highway. Is it really that bad does anyone know?

Comment

Originally posted by earljr View Post
                            I'm looking at 2005 2500HD with 2wd. I notice the EPA site has it rated at 8 city 11 highway. Is it really that bad does anyone know?
                            My 2003 2500HD gets about 14 MPGGe on the highway.
                            Jared.
                            Mountain Green, Utah
                            2003 CNG Cavalier
                            2003 CNG Silverado 2500HD

Comment

So maybe 11ish around town? Hopefully 8mpg is an EPA typo. I get about 12 around town and maybe 16 to 18 highway in my 2004 F150. I want to trade for something with lower miles.

How do you like your truck? Any experience in how it might compare to my 2004 F150?

Comment

Working...
                              X