Adding 2nd tank to 2005 Silverado 2500HD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding 2nd tank to 2005 Silverado 2500HD

I just purchased a 2005 Silverado 2500HD Dedicated CNG truck. It has a 21.3GGE tank which gives about a 265 mile safe range. Because the truck is a dedicated CNG vehicle, there is a large space under the bed where the gasoline tank would have been installed. I want to intall a 2nd tank in this spot, but am unsure about the plumbing. There is a valve on the existing tank with three ports. One port has a plug in it, that I think would be where I would plumb in the 2nd tank. Is it as simple as installing the new tank with brackets, and running a high pressure line from the new tank's valve to the port with the plug? I have attached a picture of the valve with the plugged port. Also, can I use 10,000 psi rubber coated hydraulic line, or do I need to use hard stainless line?

Doubt u could fit 1 tank, most underbody systems use 3 tanks as the space under the truck is short and rectangular, making the space ideal for a twin tank setup

Google pictures of the crown vic cng tank setup for reference

Comment

100 liter tank.jpg
      Hi Nspratt,
      I also have a Chevy Silverado 2500HD and wanted to add a second tank under the truck. This 2006 standard cab with 8" bed came new with a 20.6 GGE tank in the bed and a large empty area underneath between the frame rails. I found a great CNG mechanic in Southern California who added a brand new 100 liter tank (6 GGE) under the truck. This new CNG tank is about 5 feet long and 11 inches wide. The mechanic also built a custom stone shield to protect the tank.

I was averaging about a 250 mile range with the original 20.6 tank in the bed. The reason I added the extra 6 GGE tank was to increase the trucks range. Hope this information helps others that want to add a tank to their 2500HD.
      Attached Files

Comment

Here’s another view of the metal shield and tank that was mounted between the frame rails
        100 liter tank.jpg
        Last edited by Bubbasmith1966; 4 days ago.

Comment

just put a tee in the line from tank to hp regulator. than wire the new tank valve to the wires going to the old tank . remember all fittings must be rated 5000 or higher.

Comment

I'm curious about the CNG mechanic in Southern California?

Comment

• Bubbasmith1966
              Bubbasmith1966 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi John,
              The mechanics name is Dan. He’s a licensed CNG tech and he works on many of the local city and government CNG cars and trucks in SoCal.

I don’t think I’m allowed to post his phone number or e-mail on this forum. So, send me a direct message and I will give you Dan’s contact info.

I was thinking with that is no protection from the drive shaft I cant blow the fotos up to see but if not you need drive shaft loops like school bus's in case you drop a shaft

Comment

Originally posted by cowboy View Post
              I was thinking with that is no protection from the drive shaft I cant blow the fotos up to see but if not you need drive shaft loops like school bus's in case you drop a shaft
              Hi Cowboy,
              Sorry, for some reason I cannot upload large files to this forum. Here is a photo of the tank shield between the driveshaft and frame rail. There are several steel hangers coming down from the frames cross beams above to support the shield on this side. If the driveshaft goes, it would have to make it through a lot of metal.
              Hopefully you can zoom in or save the images to your desktop, and then open the photos.

Tank shield.jpg
              Attached Files

Comment

Comment

nope I cant blow them up. it looks like a type 1 tank so I would not be to worried. have a great day

Comment

Right click, select copy image open paint and paste then you can resize

Comment

Working...
                    X