Hey gang, CNGchat needs your help!

For over a decade we have enjoyed providing this little corner of the Internet for folks to discuss all things natural gas vehicles. It is the largest forum of its kind: with some 70,000 posts on over 11,000 topics. But with continued low gasoline & diesel prices and strong automaker support for electric vehicles, consumer interest in CNG has dropped considerably, and with it has visitor traffic here. As a result, Google ad revenues no longer cover hosting fees.

If you find CNGchat to be a useful resource then please consider making a modest donation to support keeping this remarkable pool of knowledge available to the alternative fuels community. Thanks!

See more
See less

Adding 2nd tank to 2005 Silverado 2500HD

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding 2nd tank to 2005 Silverado 2500HD

I just purchased a 2005 Silverado 2500HD Dedicated CNG truck. It has a 21.3GGE tank which gives about a 265 mile safe range. Because the truck is a dedicated CNG vehicle, there is a large space under the bed where the gasoline tank would have been installed. I want to intall a 2nd tank in this spot, but am unsure about the plumbing. There is a valve on the existing tank with three ports. One port has a plug in it, that I think would be where I would plumb in the 2nd tank. Is it as simple as installing the new tank with brackets, and running a high pressure line from the new tank's valve to the port with the plug? I have attached a picture of the valve with the plugged port. Also, can I use 10,000 psi rubber coated hydraulic line, or do I need to use hard stainless line?
    Picture of the plug with yellow index paint

Doubt u could fit 1 tank, most underbody systems use 3 tanks as the space under the truck is short and rectangular, making the space ideal for a twin tank setup

Google pictures of the crown vic cng tank setup for reference