2015 CNG Impala with problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2015 CNG Impala with problems

My dad has a 2015 CNG Impala with very low mileage, took it back to the dealer because it wouldn't run on CNG. Turns out it let a little too much pressure into the system past the high pressure regulator. Diagnosis is it needs a new high pressure regulator. It has been at the dealer now for at least 4 months because they can't find one anywhere. My dad is dealing with General Motors directly as well, it seems they are probably going to buy the vehicle back. The company they contracted to do the conversions went bankrupt and closed up shop. They say they are contracting another company to make a replacement, but it will be some time before they are ready. It's a shame too, very nice car and it worked nicely before the issue occurred.

Not good news. Keep us posted on the outcome. A few of us here also have the 2015-16 Impala.
    '13 Chev Silverado 2500 Ext Cab Factory Bi-Fuel
    '08 Green Tea Metallic GX
    FMQ-2-36 Fueler

Comment

I think you will find out that Roush did the conversions. I don't think Roush has filed for bankruptcy. NASCAR isn't doing well, but not that bad. The parts seem to be pretty common and its a one regulator system. It should be something that can be sourced without much problem. Glad I bought the GM extended warranty !

Comment

I hate to say it, but GM offering to buy it back is the way to go IMO. Given time, you could find or adapt a regulator , but having an orphan model is not good, especially after the warranty expires, and for resale value.

Comment

By the fact that you own or drive a CNG automobile in the USA, you are driving an orphan. There are no CNG automobiles in production in the US by a major manufacturer and with the current state of affairs, there will be no more. A perfectly acceptable alternative fuel is being forced out of the marketplace by low cost subsidized oil and the desire to embrace BEV's. However, that fact does not give the manufacture of the product you bought in good faith carte blanch to abandon you. I didn't buy an Impala to have an Impala---I bought it because it is a "CNG Impala" and my 15 year old Cavaliers were getting tired. I am happy with the Impala and the way it performs. I bought the extended warranty from GM when I bought it and expect parts and service throughout the warranty period. The old "the manufacturer is liable to provide parts for 10 years" is bogus. They are not required to do that. However, if you read the law, they are required to provide parts and service throughout the warranty period. The only way around that is to let the time period expire for repairs on the vehicle and then offer a buy back. IMO this is what is happening in the case of the OP. At this rate, CNG chat should become CNG heavy truck chat as that is all that will be left out there. Hopefully it won't go that way but it might.

Comment

Originally posted by siai47 View Post
            By the fact that you own or drive a CNG automobile in the USA, you are driving an orphan. There are no CNG automobiles in production in the US by a major manufacturer and with the current state of affairs, there will be no more. A perfectly acceptable alternative fuel is being forced out of the marketplace by low cost subsidized oil and the desire to embrace BEV's. However, that fact does not give the manufacture of the product you bought in good faith carte blanch to abandon you. I didn't buy an Impala to have an Impala---I bought it because it is a "CNG Impala" and my 15 year old Cavaliers were getting tired. I am happy with the Impala and the way it performs. I bought the extended warranty from GM when I bought it and expect parts and service throughout the warranty period. The old "the manufacturer is liable to provide parts for 10 years" is bogus. They are not required to do that. However, if you read the law, they are required to provide parts and service throughout the warranty period. The only way around that is to let the time period expire for repairs on the vehicle and then offer a buy back. IMO this is what is happening in the case of the OP. At this rate, CNG chat should become CNG heavy truck chat as that is all that will be left out there. Hopefully it won't go that way but it might.
            Yes they are all orphans. It has been my experience with the big three to have fairly good parts support for at least 8 years after date of production , and much longer with Honda / Toyota / Mazda / Nissan .

An example of Ford being short sighted, a few years ago, I needed a coolant hose ( 6 outlet complicated part ) and bass-ackwards style thermostat for a 2002 4 Cylinder Ranger ( same truck as the Mazda ) The ford dealer says " Obsolete , not available" The Mazda dealer has them still listed and in stock . The box says Motorcraft. The part is still being produced by motorcraft , still available from the major autopart places ( o-rileys, autozone etc) , and because it's over 8 years old, Ford scrubbed the listing from the dealer parts system . If it's low volume and older, don't count on the big 3.

Comment

Originally posted by siai47 View Post
              At this rate, CNG chat should become CNG heavy truck chat as that is all that will be left out there. Hopefully it won't go that way but it might.
              Of course cng chat could (and should imho) change with the times and start a section called "Outside useful life DIY cng conversions"

CNG is practically dead in California for passanger vehicles, I would love to order the westport F150, 39 GGE capacity, 22 mpg highway over 850 miles of dedicated CNG range, sadly i cant get it here.

Comment

Does anyone have any specifics on the type of regulator in use on the Impalas. Its hard to believe they would not use a off the shelf unit like a conoflow for this vehicle. I was looking at the only available 2015 CNG Impala available in Canada and decided not to purchase. Any updates on what has transpired lately in regards with the regulator problems?

Comment

Just bought a new 2015 impala off the lot here in Ohio. The dealer could not tell me anything about the car that wasn't written on the sticker. Didn't know who did the conversion, size of the tanks, where the owners manual was. Had no cng in it, filled it up on the way home and the check engine light came on 133 code. Dealer says the will get me manuals but I have my doubts. This is turning out to be my dads definition of a bargin " something you don't need at a price you can't resist"

Comment

• Wike R
                    Wike R commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hi, Did you buy the one in Wooster, Ohio that had been for sale for quite some time? Give us an update when you find out what was wrong with the vehichle. Thank you

If the 8th digit on the serial # is N, then it is a GM factory backed bi-fuel LFR 6 cylinder engine system. If another digit, then it was an "after market" add on, not covered by GM.
                  ?A Chevy dealer parts or service department can give you a build code print out of the car. It may still have warranty remaining dependent upon when that was initiated.
                  ?If it is a factory backed system, take it to a Chevy dealer with a CNG tech on staff - not all dealers can service that system.
                  '13 Chev Silverado 2500 Ext Cab Factory Bi-Fuel
                  '08 Green Tea Metallic GX
                  FMQ-2-36 Fueler

Comment

Alphacafarmer any update on the problems you are having with your new Impala. Info on this would be good for others interested in buying a CNG Impala. Thanks!

Comment

Good news! Warranty replacement regulators are being shipped out to GM from the supplier next week. I have asked the supplier to push GM to provide a phone number for dealers to inquire on the process to get this resolved. Stay tuned...

Comment

Update. It has been a month and the dealership still has not gotten me the manuals. The check engine light went off with the second fill. Talked with GM today about the manuals and they told me where I could buy one. Asked about a cng manual and they suggested if the dealership I bought the car off of could not get me a manual to go to different dealership and have them order me one. I am guessing that the Impalas came with a cng supplement manual. I love the car but dealing with the dealership and GM has been a big disappointment. I can only imagine what would happen if I had a real problem with the car.
                        Mike, yes it was the one in Wooster.
                        Got over 200 miles on my first slow fill just driving it back and forth to work. Can't wait to see how far I can go on a road trip.

Comment

Working...
                        X