2002 Dedicated GMC 2500 Range anxiety HELP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2002 Dedicated GMC 2500 Range anxiety HELP

I just bought a 2002 GMC 4x4 2500 dedicated. The vehicle is in Denver. The next station straight east is 258 miles in North Plate Nebraska. Does anyone know the CNG fuel capacity of one of these trucks. I know if it was a 2006 or newer, i would be ok. If I can make the first station i should be good the rest of the way to Chicago. I am trying to avoid going south through oklahoma. Any Ideas?

Denver airport is selling a lot of the dedicated vehicles on GovDeals now. Shortest distance is the 224 miles from Black Hills Energy 1301 W 24th St Cheyenne WY to the LCNG station in North Platte. Both Kramers 103 Hill St Kersey CO and Sparq 250 E Collins St Eaton CO are 227 miles from North Platte and shorten the drive from Denver as compared with driving to WY.

As you leave DEN, get a full fill at GAIN Clean Fuel 19401 East 32nd Parkway Aurora, CO or QUESTAR 10405 East 40th Ave Denver, CO (call 801-324-5687 for plywood gate code - a mere formality requested by the fire marshal) and you can get an idea of your fuel mileage when you get to Kersey or Eaton.

I drove from Denver to Chicago last August in a Civic GX - it was as easy as the 210 mile run from Trinidad CO to Guymon OK.

Comment

• cngpizza
      cngpizza commented
      Editing a comment
      Denver Clean Energy 6185 N Broadway gave a great fill. The Clean Energy hold on my Credit Card tripped security and locked up my card though. Kramer Gave a great fill Must have been 3800 +psi. I made it to Flying J North Plate with a quarter tank. I behaved, drove 70, stayed behind semi's, did not run a/c and gave the 2nd shot before I left. Then I got cocky! At the Flying J in North Platte I got a good fill so i did not give it the extra shot. Oh btw I did 85 mph, didn't follow semi's, and cranked the A/C. Suddenly I am now 45 miles out of Lincoln and I only have a quarter tank. The low fuel Light came on at 11 miles out. I must have a guardian angel cause the needle was below E when I pulled in to the independent at 1600 Windhoek Drive Lincoln NE. They gave me a good fill also...recommended. Gain Fuel in Des Moine 1205 Northeast Broadway filled well. Finally Kwik Star 100 west 65th street Davenport IA finished close to 4000 lbs. I will say one of my 5.4 ford vans would not have made the trip. The GMC has to have close to 19 GGE tank. But there is no fill like home. The i/r units back in Calumet City at CNG Calumet 130 State Street were ready for my arrival. 3800 PSI did the job.

AAA offers 1 way tows 100 miles in case you get stuck, cheap insurance just in case

Comment

Thanks for the help! Any Chevy guys know how many GGE this 2002 factory might hold?

Comment

this says the 2005 is 20.6 gge dedicated or bifuel http://www.afdc.energy.gov/pdfs/my2005afv_atv.pdf

Comment

And remember the old trick before heading out on a near-the-range-limit drive. Fill the vehicle then go kill an hour over a meal or something while the internal tank temperature cools off to ambient. Ideally you would park up under some shade. Filling in Eaton then driving to Kersey is probably better, as air flow over the tank will really cool things off by the time you get there.

Then go for two top-offs: One until the dispenser ends the fill, followed by one other. The second top-off should put another 1/4 GGE in the tank on its initial 4300 psi high bank shot to the dispenser to measure tank pressure before realizing you are already full.

Comment

Gentlemen Thank You, as a service to my fellow CNG madmen i will try to post critiques of my 6 stations I will visit.

Comment

Denver Clean Energy 6185 N Broadway gave a great fill. The Clean Energy hold on my Credit Card tripped security and locked up my card though. Kramer Gave a great fill Must have been 3800 +psi. I made it to Flying J North Plate with a quarter tank. I behaved, drove 70, stayed behind semi's, did not run a/c and gave the 2nd shot before I left. Then I got cocky! At the Flying J in North Platte I got a good fill so i did not give it the extra shot. Oh btw I did 85 mph, didn't follow semi's, and cranked the A/C. Suddenly I am now 45 miles out of Lincoln and I only have a quarter tank. The low fuel Light came on at 11 miles out. I must have a guardian angel cause the needle was below E when I pulled in to the independent at 1600 Windhoek Drive Lincoln NE. They gave me a good fill also...recommended. Gain Fuel in Des Moine 1205 Northeast Broadway filled well. Finally Kwik Star 100 west 65th street Davenport IA finished close to 4000 lbs. I will say one of my 5.4 ford vans would not have made the trip. The GMC has to have close to 19 GGE tank. But there is no fill like home. The i/r units back in Calumet City at CNG Calumet 130 State Street were ready for my arrival. 3800 PSI did the job. Total 1075 miles dedicated CNG.

Comment

Headwinds can also factor into range. I just had to post what a great job you did! I'd love to see a post each time anyone crosses the midwest through North Platte NE, Guymon OK, Amarillo TX (and now Artesia NM - do a search on cngchat!)

The choices available today compared to the cross-nation trip in 2012 allow for year-round, all weather travel. Las Vegas to Denver and Barstow to Albuquerque routes are now in common use. In the words of the Arizona Tourism agency, Our Story Is Here - Your Story Starts Now . .

Comment

Working...
                X