2015-16 Impalas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2015-16 Impalas

Can any of the new Impala owners give us a update on how their cars are preforming. Any reliabilty issues. I checked one out in Buffalo and was impressed. Could you give me info on type on injectors and the regulator used. I am in the market for a new vehicle as my injectors packed it in (old blue top 842) save that for another thread.

I,m hoping this doe not turnout to be a rhetorical post, someone out there must have a little tech knowledge on the Impala systems.

Comment

I got a new 2015, and it now has about 6K miles. Runs very smooth with plenty of power.
      Gov ratings are:
      17/25 MPG gas @ 260HP
      16/24 MPGGE CNG @ 230HP
      I can get 200+ mile range with CNG on highway and 32 MPGGE. Local driving is about 150 mile range and 21-24 MPGGE.
      The GM upfit system is Quantum. Everything is integrated into the display screen
      on the dash for both systems. You can push the button to toggle from gas to CNG and back.
      No issues with the car or systems so far. I don't know the techno-geek info about injectors, plugs etc. but that can be obtained from a GM dealership.
      ALL parts of the CNG system are GM listed, warranted and serviceable through GM dealers with CNG techs - you don't have to go to a CNG shop elsewhere.

'13 Chev Silverado 2500 Ext Cab Factory Bi-Fuel
      '08 Green Tea Metallic GX
      FMQ-2-36 Fueler

Comment

That's good to hear, all is working out with no issues. The CNG Impalas are still nonexistent anywhere in Canada with the only option being a US import with all the restriction associated with it. Can you tell me what climate zone you are operating in, and thanks for the update.

Comment

I have had my CNG Impala for a little over a year now. Other then a problem with the ECM software that was causing all kinds of problems until it was "re-flashed", the car has been flawless. 32 MPG on CNG (and a touch higher on gasoline) is not unreasonable on the highway. With a topped off gasoline tank and a slow fill on the CNG the car has nearly an 800 mile range. I travel from my home in northern Michigan to my home in central Florida with only one fuel stop in Athens, GA. It's a great highway car with comfortable seats, a good ride and plenty of room. Even the trunk is useable with more space than most cars I have owned. Tire noise is the biggest downer but not a deal killer. When I bought it, I bought the extended GM warranty as I am going to drive it 'till the wheels fall off. I have driven it in both hot and cold climates and it runs well in either environment. Unless it is extremely cold, it will start on whatever fuel you last were using when you parked it. However, I prefer to start on gasoline in the winter and change over when the engine starts to warm up just to prevent in freezing in the regulator or fuel rails. One other neat thing is the CNG Impala's use the older port injected V6 engine, not the newer DFI engine. Even though it has lower power on both fuels than the newer engine, it will not suffer the valve and intake carbon buildup that is so common with the newer engines. As the earlier poster stated it is a Quantum system that was installed by Roush in Detroit and serviced by GM.

Comment

I prefer the MPI over the DI also, saves on down the road costs. Is there any height clearance on the CNG tank or is it maxed out, thinking long term moving up to a type three or four. I will be purchasing one in the near future, it just a little harder for me being in Ontario. Thanks also for the info.

Comment

Siai what year is your vehicle. Also did anyone find out, what was the cause of the delay in the initial release of the CNG Impala.

Comment

Its a 2015. I think all of them are. If there are any 2016's they might have be re-badged 2015's I thought that all 200 or so were built in the fall of 2014 as 2015's. The cars had the CNG system installed by Roush (yeah the NASCAR guy) in Michigan. The hold up is a thing that is hard to find out about but it must have been emissions related to some degree and quality problems thereafter. I found the original emissions paperwork submitted to the EPA and it seems the approval was in the spring of 2015. Then there was a hold on shipping the vehicles for sale. By the time they got released, fall of 2015,most of the original companies that ordered them (it was a fleet vehicle) backed out either because they had got something else in the meantime and gasoline prices had fallen dramatically. GM put some in company service and finally took all of them to auction. Many dealers picked them up for about half what a non CNG Impala would have cost them. A lot of the dealers figured they could strip out the CNG tank and sell them as a normal Impala not realizing that engine and many other parts were not the same as the standard Impala. The dealer where I got my car was about to take this approach until I told him about the fact that the engine isn't the same as the rest of the fleet---so he sold it to me for his auction cost--lucky me. As to changing the tank, there is little room left to put anything else in there. The tank is a type 1 (all Steel) and although it is cheaper to buy and heavier then type 2,3 and 4 tanks it has the advantage of not weeping any gas odor such as some type 3 and 4's do. In addition, there is no Kevlar wrap in the tank for structure which should (in principle) lead to a longer service life--even though GM limited it to 15 years in certification. So "moving up" might be moving down or sideways as a new tank mount might be required along with tank valves, rear springs (due to weight differences) etc. I would worry about the tank in 2029 or 2030 and then think about replacement options. I'll most likely be in an old folks home by then with an I.D. card and no drivers license so I have no plans to change anything on my Impala.

Comment

The CARB document is interesting to look at and might shed some light on the problem (emission) along with potential fines for failure to bring the cars into compliance. This may be the sticking point. CARB Document.pdf

Comment

I think the lowest price I saw one sold for was nineteen and change. For me a state side sale voids the warranty in Canada, they also throw in other financial obstacles to discourage purchasing, and then there's the exchange. Good to hear you scored it for a good price!

Comment

That warranty thing is really stupid. Heck, the car was built in Oshawa, Ontario which I believe is still in Canada! So you are just bringing your Canadian product back home. Doesn't your government or GM have any faith in vehicles produced in Canada? I still think it might be worth jumping through hoops (and obstacles) as I think it is one of the last, current, modern designed CNG cars out there.

Comment

The warranty aspect is the deal breaker. GM Canada is just looking after their dealer network. I have a plan B to this problem, and will let you know how it plays out.

Comment

We've sold nine of the 2015-2016 Impala bi-fuels. All have had less than 6k miles, and a few were brand new with <20 miles on them. I don't have a picture of the vin plate on the one 2016 that we sold, so I don't know the exact build month, but the VIN indicated that it was a 2016 model. They are great cars. One of my customers reported a check engine light shortly after delivery, and an evap canister was replaced under warranty. That's the only issue I've heard of.
                          -Derek
                          www.CNGUtah.com

Comment

Working...
                          X