2003 Chevy Silverado bi-fuel rebuild/ internal engine differences

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 Chevy Silverado bi-fuel rebuild/ internal engine differences

I just purchased a 2003 Silverado 2500hd crew cab 4x4 bi-fuel basically my cng dream truck.

It has about 100,000 miles and has no oil pressure.
    This seems to be a common problem for the 6.0 Engine.

The oil pump has been replaced but still no oil pressure.

I am looking at having the motor rebuilt.

Internally is a gas only 6.0 and a bi-fuel 6.0 the same?
    would a rebuild kit for a 6.0 be the same for regular gas and natural gas versions of the same engine?

Thanks,

Re: 2003 Chevy Silverado bi-fuel rebuild/ internal engine differences

Valves and valve seats may be different materials. If you are rebuilding, just reuse the parts by doing a valve job (valve and seat grinding). If you need to replace parts, make sure your dealer (and use the dealer for these) gets parts for the KL6/KL8 natural gas engine. The rest of the engine should use gaskets/parts from the normal gasoline engine. Some seals in the intake area (i.e. injector seals/O-rings, face seals, etc.) will have to be sourced separately.

Comment

If it runs and is not knocking , try a fill of 10/40 or 15/40 oil and see if it brings the oil pressure up a bit when the engine is warmed up.Only costs about $20 to find out , and use a seperate oil sender with gauge, don't trust the dashboard gauge. If so, the mains and / or rod bearings are likely worn , and you might get away with just a crankshaft kit and rod bearings.

I'm dealing with a 4 cyl ranger I bought at auction. only 85, 000 miles, and otherwaise good shape, except a bad valve cover oil leak. Great oil pressure cold with 5/20 oil, drops to almost noting at idle when hot, and 15 # at 2500 rpm. With 10/40 oil, I have 25 psi at 1500 rpm and above , and 15 at idle with 10/40. ( ford says spec with the thin oil is about 40psi at 2500rpm) , so my mains and rods are likely worn.
      Last edited by Lakewood90712; 03-02-2014, 07:18 AM.

Comment

I appericate the quick responses. I wish I had the ability to do all of that on my own. I plan on calling the local vocation school and seeing if they want to take on the project before I pay a shop to do everything.

I will change the oil to 10w40 or 20w50 to see if that makes a difference. I really need reliability because I drive 90 miles a day.

Do you have any idea what a crankshaft kit and rod bearings should cost to have done. The motor does not knock at all. I just don't want to damage it at all.

Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by Deshet View Post
          I appericate the quick responses. I wish I had the ability to do all of that on my own. I plan on calling the local vocation school and seeing if they want to take on the project before I pay a shop to do everything.

I will change the oil to 10w40 or 20w50 to see if that makes a difference. I really need reliability because I drive 90 miles a day.

Do you have any idea what a crankshaft kit and rod bearings should cost to have done. The motor does not knock at all. I just don't want to damage it at all.

Thanks,
          Figure $300+just for parts. Labor at a shop ? depends on the local rates. Have a shop do a full engine diag. including a compression check and leakdown test. Then get your options, crank and bearings, shortblock or complete rebuild.

Comment

Like someone else said, don't trust the gauge. The gauges are known to be bad on those in my experience, if it doesn't smoke and the oil pump has been replaced you should be fine One more thing I'd check is open the oil fill cap while it's running and see if you have excessive blow by. Good luck

Comment

I would personally put in a mechanical test gauge and check oil pressure. if it runs and is not knocking in the bottom end nore valve train clattering I bet u its got oil pressure
              the 6.0 engines are very solid and reliable engines.
              Ken's Master Auto Care

1998 Cavalier CNG

1972 Chevy Blazer Twin turbod Duramax in it, 12.8 @105MpH 505 rwhp 1109 rwtq

Still in the works
              1969 Camaro Cstm blt 87 vette frnt susp 6 pot 13" frnt brks rack and pinnion Dana 60 w Cstm Lateral-Dynamics 3 link rear susp 4 pot 12" rr brks 18X10 frnt 18X12 rr Bozeforged Speedsters, on the list still is
              Gforce T56 6speed gen3 427 Ci Twn turbo

Comment

Working...
              X