Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2000 Cavalier runs rough during start up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 Cavalier runs rough during start up!

Hello I'm in Herriman area and my 2000 chevy cavalier starts really rough and runs rough for a few seconds and then everything is fine. I'm wondering if it just needs a CNG tune up. IS there anyone in the herriman area that knows what to do to tune these up? things to check/clean etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Jeff

Re: 2000 Cavalier runs rough during start up!

@Jeff,

This could be caused by one or more of your injectors, seeping NG due to cleanliness issues. This would, in essence cause the vehicle to act like it is 'flooded' when you first turn the key. With excess fuel past the control of the injectors, it must 'clear' the mix which is why it would clear up after several seconds of rough running. I would start with cleaning up the injectors and see if that helps.
    '11 Fusion Bi Fuel & FMQ2-36 VRA
    (Former owner '09 Civic GX)

Comment

The 1998-2002 Cavalier uses an aspirated system, so you shouldn't have to worry about injectors. I would take it to Natural Solutions down in Lindon. 801-785-6225.
      www.CNGUtah.com

Comment

You're right. I think 2003+ Cavaliers have injectors. This has a GMS: aspirated system.

Comment

Originally posted by coldje View Post
          You're right. I think 2003+ Cavaliers have injectors. This has a GMS: aspirated system.

First thing is first, pull the filter clean with brake cleaner and blow out with compressed air and try again.

Still does it? Check for the line from the tank to the shut off valve venting when the car sits. Start by parking the vehicle and leaving for a few hours, then crack the line at the shut off valve and see if it vents.

I have had both cause that same issue.

Comment

Does this only happen on CNG?

Comment

Yes this only happens on CNG runs and starts perfect on regular fuel

Comment

So I've never messed with the cng, how do I clean the filter and where is it located? Any help would be awesome thanks for everyone's responses. I'm very handy but don't have a repair Manuel for this car, like to do it myself but If I have to I will take it to Lindon to the address provided. Thank you

Comment

If you are going to start working on this car, at a minimum you need the GM service manual supplement. Do you even have the owners manual supplement? These older Cavaliers with a fumigation system never were great on starting as the sequence of events to make them start correctly never was really worked out well in the design. The normal procedure is to turn on the key, wait a couple of seconds and then (with you foot off the accelerator) crank the engine and hold the key to the start position until you are sure it will continue running. Many times you get a false start were the engine seems to have started but then stalls as soon as you release the key from "start". Many things can upset the normal startup. Inadequate fuel pressure as a result of a bad regulator. Leaks in the intake system due to a loose connector. Improper requested fuel flow due to a mass gas sensor problem. Worn and/or bad spark plugs and wires which will show up first on CNG. Finally, even minor mechanical engine problems will first show up during CNG operation. There is only one filter to worry about on this model, and if it was plugged you would have problems driving the car, not starting. There is no manual shutoff valve on this car that is easy to use. l would check for the obvious first, then take it to someone who knows how to work on it and walks you through what to look for when you have problems. At the very least get the supplements so you can review them. When you get the car running normally, you will be very happy with it while driving it----starting it will never be a pleasure----ask anyone who owns one----somethimes it sounds like the 4th of July

Comment

Working...
                  X