Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2002 Chevy Express 3500 CNG fill up ????????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2002 Chevy Express 3500 CNG fill up ????????

The link got you to the website for the company I wanted you to get a hold of. You need to go to your GM dealer and get the parts guy to look up the part number of the hose you want. Also have him look to see if the number he has is a superseded number for some older number. Write down all the part numbers (if there is more then one) for the same part past or present as the part Vintage could have that would fit might be a earlier number. He will have a parts drawing that will show the part so you can be sure that you are looking at the correct part. He should be able to call Vintage parts directly for you, If not you have the number on the website. Yes, the doghouse is the interior engine cover and seeing how it is a pain to get it off and back on to work on the engine, you might as well take care of any other issues while you are under the (or in) the "doghouse". As to a Parker dealer, search the web and you can find a dealer locator on the Parker site. Very few hose fittings can be reused so you will need to take the damaged line in with you so the Parker guy can figure out what they are---If he is any good he will know and be able to order the fittings needed and make up your line.

Comment

Awesome..thanks again for that info. I contacted several people already. The dealership first...they faxed me the exploded view of the engine and under it..which shows that part in question. There is ONLY ONE part number for this "assembly" "PIPE" is the term GM gives it. It is part number: 52370381

I have actually have found one place that has it in stock..BUT..again the part from them is $601.00 OUCH...I mean all this piece is is 1/3 flex hose, and 2/3 stainless steel tubing. Why so pricey?

Anyway my father in law just retired from Wisconsin Fuel and Light (Natural Gas division) and he has more than 30 years of working on all sorts of NG piping, lines, fittings, installs, etc..so if I can't find a lower cost GM part..I am going to order the pieces and have him make the piece and install it for me.

Comment

Hello,

I am in a similar situation with my 2004 Chevy Express bi-fuel. After a fill up, the high pressure line between the tanks and the fill tee blew while I was on the highway. I am sure it scared the guy behind or next to me to drive into a cloud of natural gas.

At any rate, I have found the replacement hose for my vehicle (GM part # 52372435) is supposed to be somewhere around $400. There are one or two dealerships that have it in stock in the US but that is a steep price to pay. Instead, I elected to have this hose custom fabricated. I have found a number of places that will be able to fabricate this custom hose for me for around $100 or less. Try taking a lot of pictures of this hose (ends, middle where it switches from steel to flex hose) and sending it to the sales department of the many places in the US that create custom CNG hoses. You actually get a better response if you call first and get an email address where you can send the pictures.

Some of the places I have received responses from are:

- Industrial Hydraulics - http://www.ihi-indy.com
        - Go Natural CNG - http://www.gonaturalcng.com
        - The Fitting Source - http://www.thefittingsource.com
        - Exotic Automation and Supply - http://www.exoticautomation.com/

I would make sure that wherever you source your hose from, make sure they pressure test and tag the hose assembly before sending it out. Best of luck in getting a reasonably priced replacement hose.

Comment

I've been looking under my van at the hose in question. I don't have any problem with the hose chaffing on any other components, however it could get close to the transmission controller. Hydraulic and electrical shops sometimes use a product called spiral wrap to protect hoses and wires in areas where they might rub or chafe. It is as it is named, a plastic tube cut in a sprial that can be wound around a hose to protect it. A cheap and easy fix for this problem.

Comment

Originally posted by BigVanMan View Post
            Hello,

I am in a similar situation with my 2004 Chevy Express bi-fuel. After a fill up, the high pressure line between the tanks and the fill tee blew while I was on the highway. I am sure it scared the guy behind or next to me to drive into a cloud of natural gas.

At any rate, I have found the replacement hose for my vehicle (GM part # 52372435) is supposed to be somewhere around $400. There are one or two dealerships that have it in stock in the US but that is a steep price to pay. Instead, I elected to have this hose custom fabricated. I have found a number of places that will be able to fabricate this custom hose for me for around $100 or less. Try taking a lot of pictures of this hose (ends, middle where it switches from steel to flex hose) and sending it to the sales department of the many places in the US that create custom CNG hoses. You actually get a better response if you call first and get an email address where you can send the pictures.

Some of the places I have received responses from are:

- Industrial Hydraulics - http://www.ihi-indy.com
            - Go Natural CNG - http://www.gonaturalcng.com
            - The Fitting Source - http://www.thefittingsource.com
            - Exotic Automation and Supply - http://www.exoticautomation.com/

I would make sure that wherever you source your hose from, make sure they pressure test and tag the hose assembly before sending it out. Best of luck in getting a reasonably priced replacement hose.
            Which fabricator did you finally select?

Comment

hey guys...just a FINAL update here for you all. My local shop called me and they said they did find "3" stock hose units left in the entire U.S. and could get one for my for $600. I said NO THANK YOU. I ordered a male JIC fitting to tube fitting "SWAGELOCK" direct from Swagelock (cost $5.00) and then I had a local pneumatics hose supplier make up an 18 inch hose rated at 4700PSI with a female JIC fitting on each end. I got under the van yesterday, took a tubing cutter and cut the line off from where it attached to the stainless steel line, then deburred it. then I just used a wrench and disconnected the opposite end by unscrewing it from the IMPCO regulator. I installed the new SWAGELOCK adaptor onto the stainless steel tube. then installed the new hose between the regulator and SWAGELOCK..it was simple and took me about 45 minutes to complete. TOTAL COST: $40.00 in parts and an hour of my time. I put the CNG fuse back in and started the vehicle. I soaped ALL new connections to check for leaks, and found NONE. Went into town and filled up the van with CNG and now good to go!!!!

I am so happy I could do this myself, AND save about $560.00 in the process.

SIAI47..yes, I think the hose MUST rub somewhere around the transmission linkage. My hose was plain old worn right through where the hole was. I re-routed the new hose to stay away from any sharp or moving objects, so should be good to go now!!

Dan

Comment

here's a couple pics of the hose I cut out that had the leak!

hose a.jpghose.jpg

Comment

Great job - I admire people who are resourceful. Someday I may have to do the same on my 2004 Express 3500...

Comment

Originally posted by snewman24 View Post
                    Great job - I admire people who are resourceful. Someday I may have to do the same on my 2004 Express 3500...
                    Seems some of these Bi-Fuels do require a bit of ingenuity to keep going, especially with such a limited number of mechanics and local shops for servicing...

Comment

Take to authorizied dealership and t checked out. Dont refill the leak if hose will become bigger

Comment

Sorry its been a while for this response. I eventually went with The Fitting Source because of their responsiveness, price and turn around time. I spoke with Ben Griffiths and sent him several pictures and he confirmed the hose and fittings I needed. Ben assured me that they have constructed several of these hoses for CNG vehicles. I ended up paying $87.87 plus about $9.11 to ship which was much less than our local Parker store which would have cost nearly double and would have had me waiting around 2 weeks. I was able to get a replacement hose that was hydro-tested (they sent the paperwork)/tagged with the correct fittings that fit perfectly for just under $100.

I hate to sound like a commercial, but I would go with them again if I needed to. I hope I don't need to for this hose at least.

Comment

Working...
                        X