Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do any of the CNG crown Victoria's have dual exhaust..any installed power bolt on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do any of the CNG crown Victoria's have dual exhaust..any installed power bolt on

Do the cng crown Victoria's respond well to bolt on mods.
    I am think of going with dual exhaust and a x-pipe just want to know if anyone else has done it?
    I have put about 1000 miles on my CNG crown Victoria and it runs prefect. It almost gets 30 miles per gallon(26-28mpg).

I use to own mustangs and I know that the 4.6 is a very good engine that can make a lot of power.

The rear end gear is setup for high mpg and not power. At 1.20 a gallon I am willing to sacrifice a little fuel economy for more power.

Does anyone own a cng crown Victoria that has mustang like performance.

Does anyone know if the cng crown Victoria's are detuned?

The car is responsive and quick. It is much faster then a Honda civic, just not mustang gt fast.

Thanks,

Re: Do any of the CNG crown Victoria's have dual exhaust..any installed power bolt on

This exactly what i had in mind. Basically a CNG Marauder.

Comment

Re: Do any of the CNG crown Victoria's have dual exhaust..any installed power bolt on

Wasn't the Police Interceptor Crown Vics all fitted with dual-exhaust? Since there were many dedicated-CNG police Crown Vics maybe you should take a look at the auctions...

Comment

The gasoline P71s had a dual exhaust but every factory made CNG Crown Vic I've seen (P71 or not) has the single exhaust. We've had a few dedicated Crown Vics that were converted to CNG; those had the dual exhaust and felt a little peppier.
        -Derek
        www.CNGUtah.com

Comment

Originally posted by Deshet View Post
          It is much faster then a Honda civic, just not mustang gt fast.
          JATO's, perhaps?

“Innovation is driven by having access to things.” -- Gleb Budman, CEO of backblaze.com

Comment

I don't know what jato means unless it is jet assisted takeoff

I am getting high flow cats installed know and will soon have dual exhaust. No reason to not enjoy the power of a V8 with the fuel economy of geo metro.

I just hope it sounds like a 4.6 should sound with dual exhaust. I don't think the fuel type should make a difference. We don't have emission testing in this part of VA.

Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by Deshet View Post
              Do the cng crown Victoria's respond well to bolt on mods.
              I am think of going with dual exhaust and a x-pipe just want to know if anyone else has done it?
              I have put about 1000 miles on my CNG crown Victoria and it runs prefect. It almost gets 30 miles per gallon(26-28mpg).

I use to own mustangs and I know that the 4.6 is a very good engine that can make a lot of power.

The rear end gear is setup for high mpg and not power. At 1.20 a gallon I am willing to sacrifice a little fuel economy for more power.

Does anyone own a cng crown Victoria that has mustang like performance.

Does anyone know if the cng crown Victoria's are detuned?

The car is responsive and quick. It is much faster then a Honda civic, just not mustang gt fast.

Thanks,
              What year is your Vic? I have a 2003 and my mileage has been about 21 (75% highway at 70mph and 25% stop-n-go). Thinking about the dual setup as well. I know that on my year, the CNG engine is rated about 50hp less than the gas engine because both use the exact same motor (some difference in intake manifold and throttle body I believe) so you dont have a higher compression ratio to take advantage of the high octane of methane. In otherwords, Ford didnt optimize the motor for CNG (they gave the option to convert back to gas or swap in a gas motor with minimal compatibility issues).

Comment

On my 2000 cng crown vic, my mileage was about the same as dr. bombay reports. Maybe the fuel station Deshet uses is dispensing more fuel than charged for. I sure would not complain to the station if the metering is off in the customers favor . They will find out soon enough and calibrate

Comment

Originally posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
                  On my 2000 cng crown vic, my mileage was about the same as dr. bombay reports. Maybe the fuel station Deshet uses is dispensing more fuel than charged for. I sure would not complain to the station if the metering is off in the customers favor . They will find out soon enough and calibrate
                  Just to be clear my mpg was calcd over many many tanks of gas fuelling at about 6 different stations. In theory the duals should help mpg because they reduce pumping losses on an otherwise stock setup. There is no issue of "exhaust tuning" because you dont have longtube headers. Thats all great in theory but like the OP, I wonder what the real "field" experience (mpg, sound, fit) has been on this.

Comment

Let's bump this thread.

I have both a 2000 Factory CNG Crown Vic and a 2000 Grand Marquis. I have put dual exhaust on the Grand Marquis and have an extra H Pipe and am thinking of doing it to the CNG.
                    I was disappointed to find a peg leg 2.73 rear end under the CNG, but have had a 3.27 limited slip built up by a local Mustang shop I am ready to put under it.
                    Anyone else modding their CNG Crown Vic?

Terry

Comment

Originally posted by terryb99 View Post
                      Let's bump this thread.

I have both a 2000 Factory CNG Crown Vic and a 2000 Grand Marquis. I have put dual exhaust on the Grand Marquis and have an extra H Pipe and am thinking of doing it to the CNG.
                      I was disappointed to find a peg leg 2.73 rear end under the CNG, but have had a 3.27 limited slip built up by a local Mustang shop I am ready to put under it.
                      Anyone else modding their CNG Crown Vic?

Terry
                      Yes. I bought mine a few weeks ago. After running it through the shop at my favorite mechanic, I took it to the muffler shop.

$480 later, I have true-dual side-exit exhaust running through glasspacks. H-pipe is manatory on a smog-controlled vehicle. As soon as I jumped on the throttle, I noticed a difference. Adding dual exhaust increases the average pipe diameter and makes all the power.

The mufflers are just for sound. In my case, they added a nice bark pointed right at all the people in the slow lanes. Or even better, during all the traffic on my commute as I fly by in the carpool lane.

Future mods:
                      -Rear axle ratio change. Something like 3.55:1 or 3.73:1, this should really wake up the car.
                      -High-flow air filter
                      -Underdrive pullies
                      -HHO injection?
                      -Hotter spark plugs?

Comment

Can you make a video of your exhaust with sound?

Comment

I think I would have to go the other way and look for a 2.29 rear and a set of pistons 11 or 12 to1 ? and a cam for a rv as this will give a lot of low end torque and should give better mileage might put degreeable cam gear since the fuel is slow burning and than you can play with the cam timing. the duel ex is a great start .just my thoughts

Comment

I have a 98 CNG crown, added a stock H pipe and muffler to it, 2 problems.

1) oem muffler wont fit on CNG models, all the hanger brackets are there, however theres a CNG regulator valve there. You will need a custom muffler and / or pipes to be installed. all the fuel lines / tubes run along there too, so beware of putting a hot muffler right up against that area.

2) my fuel economy dropped significantly (10-20%), my thoughts were like you that these upgrades would allow for more efficient breathing and combustion.

I would kill for your gas economy, I get about 24mpg on a good day with original setup, im down to about 18-20 conservatively on this new dual pipe, high flow intake. Now for the good news, I didnt want a loud setup, wanted to keep it stock, but it purrs when im accelerating. It is a lot faster and responsive, if I had to put it in horsepower terms, I was driving a 100hp car before, and after the mods, its at 150hp. what might have happened with the mpg is it being so responsive, its a lot harder to keep it at a low rpm. im running stock 2.73 in the rears.

Comment

Working...
                            X