'00 Contour PCM replacement loses CNG function

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '00 Contour PCM replacement loses CNG function

I just had the PCM replaced with a used one due to failure of the signal to two spark plugs, etc.
    (Check engine light codes indicated no signal to two plugs, and a PCM problem).
    Since this replacement came from a non bi-fuel car, the ALT fuel function for CNG does not work: no green light,
    so it now runs only on GAS.

Is it possible to have the original PCM fixed without losing the program it has for the CNG operation, etc.?
    If so can anyone suggest a competent shop that will do this if shipped to them?

(According to a Ford label under the hood the PCM was rerprogrammed in Feb 2000).

The car has 76K miles, is in good condition, still runs great and I want to hang onto it until the tank expires.

Sorry Murphy - the compuvalve was still working OK when this happened.
    '13 Chev Silverado 2500 Ext Cab Factory Bi-Fuel
    '08 Green Tea Metallic GX
    FMQ-2-36 Fueler

Re: '00 Contour PCM replacement loses CNG function

I am going out on a limb here (because I don't know anything about Ford CNG vehicles) but your replacement PCM needs to be "reflashed" with the proper program. If the PCM is capable of being flashed, it usually is done by the dealer with the PCM installed in the vehicle. I know in GM cars it is done with a scan tool and a downloaded "calibration" for the vehicle in question via the OBD II port. I would try your dealer for the re-programming if available. I you don't know the proper calibration, the old PCM could be plugged back in to read the calibration number necessary for the replacement PCM. Best of luck with this

Comment

Re: '00 Contour PCM replacement loses CNG function

Found my solution:
      I checked on the web and found another auto recyler that indeed had a 2000 Contour bi-fuel, with the correct PCM, as verified by the part #.
      Purchased this today, then installed it, and now it works fine on GAS and ALT. No reflashing was necessary. Plug 'n play.

Lesson learned here that likely applies to most vehicles whether factory or added on CNG system is if you have to replace a defective engine control module (or whatever they call it), do NOT use a module model # different from the original, even though literature and others may tell you sure it will work.

To siai47:
      Thanks for the info. That was my next plan had this module still not worked. Lakewood Ford service tech says they handle reflashing
      computers on occassion.
      '13 Chev Silverado 2500 Ext Cab Factory Bi-Fuel
      '08 Green Tea Metallic GX
      FMQ-2-36 Fueler

Comment

Working...
      X