Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time for some current project pictures.

Comment

I will get some current pics. I broke my android (dropped it in a bucket of used dexron3 by accident} so might have to settle for lousy cell phone pics.

I bled off the fuel pressure from under the hood. Hard spot to get to with bare hands I made a tool for poking the valve, out of a 2 foot long piece of 1/4 inch threaded rod bent at a 90 degree at the end. I ground the tip to a point. Easy to reach in and bleed. Much better than a can opener i saw used in a video on venting. I had no mast to vent so i vented it into in my shop in 5 sec intervals waiting 15 minutes between each interval to let the shop clear out any gas hanging around. Basically, vent till you smell gas and then stop, ventilate the shop and repeat ( about 1 dozen times) till it was done. If at all possible this should be done outside and i would not recommend others follow my lead. I was nervous LOL.

Now i can start removing other engine bits and pieces mostly for R&R painting and the like. Got some of the AC stuff cut out and the cooler lines disconnected. The dryer and hoses behind are is still in there until i pull the main wire harness and rad support out which will allow access.

Tonight i plan to pull out the CNG harness and the filter stuff off the frame rails. Brake line to the rear is coming out as well as it needs to be replaced. I feel confident i can de plumb the tanks now so i should be able to get all the hoses out as well.

Couple of Ford related questions.
      My front body mounts on the core support are all rusted to hell. Bolts all snapped. Only way i can see to get them free is to sawzall through the mounts. Does this make sense?
      The fan shroud seems to have only two bolts holding it on and the rad seems to just sit on the bushings and ll look like it will pull straight up. Any pointers?
      I cant see or tell how the AC core is attached to the core support. Any ideas?
      I guess i am going to have to get a Ford service manual at some point so im not asking stupid questions.

Comment

Core support is out. What a PIA. There was a dozen or so hidden spot welds on top of the 32 i originally found. They have to be drilled out from inside the engine pit. I cut the core support into three sections to make it easier to get out. Fan/clutch ,idlers, AC delete and belt tension device all are out. I tried to post some pics but cant upload them for some reason.
        Pointer on the fan. I didn't have the pulley holding tool or the correct wrench for the fan but managed with a pipe wrench and a set of chain vicegrips. After removing the idlers and serp belt there was room to clamp on the chain vice grips around the waterpump pulley and then the pipe wrench to loosen the fan.

CNG question. What size threads are the hoses on the Ford system??. I need some threaded caps for the tank lines to keep dust and dirt out and keep the gas in should anything unforseen happen with the tank valves while im working. Plus i think the valves leak a bit.
        After a couple days since bleeding the gas out of the lines there is a very small amount of pressure left in the line.
        A half second hiss when i depress the bleeder. I have bled it twice again over the last few days and got the same. Not enough to worry about but i will be disconnected for some time so i dont want any gas coming out at all. Could be just residual pressure in the line expanding as well over a couple days.

Comment

Got it sorted. Core support is out. pulling stuff off the front of the engine now. It came out in three pieces.

Comment

Rather than repost a bunch of pics i will just add a link to a bunch
            https://www.facebook.com/17015851900...type=3&theater

Comment

Ran into a fairly serious issue. One of the hose clamps on the poorly thought out water lines routing was rubbing against the fuel line going to the passenger side fuel rail and has worn a hole through the protective braiding that covers the fuel line. The fuel line is ok (no leaks) but has a few chafs on it so i would want to replace it. Problem is the fuel system seems to be all one piece from the regulator to (and including) the fuel rails. There is no disconnects or removable fittings and it appears to be all sweat welded together as one piece..
              Seeing as its the low pressure side, can compression fittings be used in a repair or does the install need to be exactly factory, like it is now and replaced as one whole piece?

Comment

Adding a video clip showing the fuel line issue among other tidbits. https://youtu.be/eeVQ2HgL8NY

Comment

For those who are interested where this all started,, till now,,,, I have been trying to organize my pics and get them in order so its easier retrace my steps when it all goes back together. Winging it for sure. LOL i forgot how bad this truck actually is/was. Its a good thing this is a hobby and i get some enjoyment out of this Its a lot of pics and by the time im done there will be many more.
                  Part One 420 pics https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
                  Part Two 178 pics https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Comment

Another down side to owning a CNG truck in Ontario is that if you want to do the work yourself on the CNG stuff you need to spend about 600 bucks for the certification course. Kinda sucks but that is where i am at now. I figure, what the hell, it may come in handy for other stuff later, so i'm signing up for the course.

Comment

Wow, so you are tackling the removal and installation of new tank(s) yourself. That's impressive.

Comment

Looking at tanks options. type 4's are starting to come down in price a bit.
                        https://www.cngunited.com/shop-cng-t...-34-4-gallons/

Comment

Warm weather coming!! Looking fwd to getting back at this pile of crap. I haven't even looked at the truck since last summer. I was just reviewing all my pics to try and remember everything.i was up to.
                          I recently missed out on a massive type 4 tank for 1200 bucks over the winter. I didn't have the money so I tried to talk the guy down to 1000 but he sold it to someone else with a boat. Kicking myself now. Just as well i suppose, as i really would like to get two tanks the same size as i have now so i can keep the stock bracket setup.I have a feeling if i go type 4 my brackets will probably have to change anyway unless they have type 4s the exact same size as my stock ones..
                          So anyway, ya'all will be seeing a little more of me in the coming months along with my infuriating questions
                          Parts im looking for on the cheap..
                          -Passenger side window glass
                          -Radiator core support
                          -LR inner and outer kick panels
                          -Possibly a floor
                          -Idler 97 (the thick one).
                          -Power steering hoses
                          -Bucket seats to replace my bench seat (grey leather mint)
                          -Cruise control arm
                          -Driver side fuse box cover
                          -Headliner
                          WooHoo

Comment

Working...
                          X