Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I clear the check engine light on ford contour lights on cng only.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I clear the check engine light on ford contour lights on cng only.

How do I clear the check engine light on 2000 ford contour which lights while running cng only.

My local shop can check and clear codes on the gas side of the bifuel (none shown) but nothing is reported on any cng issues.

I don't have a performance or milage issue, just the light when using CNG.
    In fact when I run out of CNG and automatically switch to gas fuel, the light goes out.
    I just want to make sure something is not harming the cats or compuvalve etc.

I disconnected the battery for some time and reconnected but on CNG the light is still there.

Is there a reset for cng?
    Is there a way to read the cng codes from a typical (cheap) handheld code reader?

thanks for your advice.

Re: How do I clear the check engine light on ford contour lights on cng only.

Try finding a local shop that has a Ford NGS scan tool.

Comment

If you cant get it to stay out check the temp of the cats with a ir scaner and run it on gasoline and then check it on cng if the temp is close dont worry. if it is a bunch hotter on cng it is running rich and burning the left over gas in the cats and you had better do something about it before it melts your cats. just my opinion

Comment

The assumption is that this is a factory install system. If not, it could very well be a system that throws a check engine light. That would be an OBD non-compliant system. If there was a real engine system issue the light would stay on. (I'm not an automotive mechanic)

Comment

My experience has been similar to skitime's experience. One my 1999 Cavalier (sold a while back) I needed to get with someone that had a GM Tech II scanner because my ELM 327 scan tool using three different software applications was unable to get to the CNG ECM specific data. Based on this I'm guessing you will need to get with someone that has the Ford specific tools that allow access to the CNG ECM. On the Cavalier the check engine light was turned on by a discrete output from the ECM. The CNG signal for the check engine light was in series. One could bypass the check engine light fron the CNG ECM but that does not clear the CNG ECM memory of the fault or previous fault. Getting these OEM specific scan tools are rather expensive so that is why I went to someone to do this for me. Hope this information helps you.

Comment

Working...
          X