Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

98 dedicated E350 fuel gauge off after adding additional tank(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98 dedicated E350 fuel gauge off after adding additional tank(s)

Added additional tank to a dedicated 1998 E350 and now the fuel gauge is off. How do you adjust for the additional fuel capacity?

***if anyone is having issues with "water" in there system (as I have), I have had success with removing water from tanks & lines; more than happy to share my procedure with you.

Re: 98 dedicated E350 fuel gauge off after adding additional tank(s)

CNG fuel gauges read fuel pressure. Adding additional tanks should have no effect on the fuel gauge. Was the fuel gauge sending unit moved or otherwise disturbed? Also, water in CNG is very rare. There is an ASTM limit on water in fuel, and its measured in parts per million. If you are indeed getting water in your fuel, your fuel vendor should be notified immediately

A little more info on your system would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Thank you for the reply, (1) 5.8gge tank was added to our dedicated Ford van and now the fuel gauge shows about a 3/4 tank when full and 1/4 tank when empty. Nothing else was done to the van, just simply added one tank in the cargo area of the van. ***This was done to (2) 1998 dedicated E350 cargo vans, both having the same issue.

Prior to getting into cng I did have a meeting with our local natural gas provider and was told that there is an allowable/exceptable percentage of water in there system. *We have a dryer prior to the compressor and have changed the filters, AFTER we experienced the water issues...We had no issues till it started getting cold (N.E. Ohio). We started having freeze up at the point of connection and "of course" vehicles/forklifts not running well; if at all. On our 2012 (ecofuel conversion) E-350 box truck we removed at least 1.5 cup's of water/ice. The water destroyed the paper in-line filter between the tanks and engine, we blew ice crystals out of our lines as well as removed a lot of dirty water from our tanks; big mess! Everything is running great now. *We own 3 stations between Ohio and PA with 2 differant gas providers and only had the issues with one of the providers. We are going to test/meter the moisture level and advise our provider. In addition we are also entertaining the idea of additional dryers...

Comment

The transducer converts pressure into ohms which is then read my your fuel gauge. Volume has no effect on this. Do you have an inline pressure gauge to confirm this fuel gauge on the dash is displaying correctly?

Some GM models will throw a code after adding a tank because the fuel gauge is not falling as expected.
        sigpichttp://WWW.CNGMOTORS.COM
        SAVE TIME. SAVE MONEY. SAVE THE ENVIRONMENT.

2003 Hummer H2 bi-fuel
        2000 GMC Yukon XL bi-fuel
        1999 International 4700 dual-fuel
        2007 Chevy Avalanche bi-fuel

FMQ2-36 Fuelmaker w/ 24 GGE cascade

Comment

Originally posted by Jd8611 View Post
          Thank you for the reply, (1) 5.8gge tank was added to our dedicated Ford van and now the fuel gauge shows about a 3/4 tank when full and 1/4 tank when empty. Nothing else was done to the van, just simply added one tank in the cargo area of the van. ***This was done to (2) 1998 dedicated E350 cargo vans, both having the same issue...
          Murphy is spot on, at some point, a pressure transducer is a simple strain gauge where a conductor inside of the gauge changes in resistance based upon the strain (pressure).

At first, I would have guessed a transducer failure and it was just coincedental, but having the same behavior show up in two locations just after the addition doesn't fit that guess.

In your installation did you change any electrical connections to original transducer and fuel gauge electronics? (in other words, did you add in anything to the electrical circuit with the 5.8 GGE tank addtion other than a solenoid valve connection?) If the 5.8 GGE tank had other electronics, such as an additional pressure transducer and that was tied into the fuel gauge, that could explain it. If for example you tied a second strain gauge in parallel or series to the original circuit, the net resistance seen by your fuel gauge would be some new value; to fix this, just don't connect the additional tank pressure transducer. If there were no changes at all to the original pressure transducer / fuel gauge circuit, then I have no idea. Good luck!
          Last edited by CNGfamily; 01-17-2013, 02:23 PM.
          2008 GX (extended range, trunkless version)
          Polished Metal Metallic 2012 Civic Natural Gas
          Fuelmaker FMQ-2-36 (since 2001)
          Previously owned: 2000 GX (11 years), 1995 Bi-fuel Sonoma, 2000 Bifuel Tahoe, 2000 Bi-fuel F150

Comment

Originally posted by Jd8611 View Post
            Prior to getting into cng I did have a meeting with our local natural gas provider and was told that there is an allowable/exceptable percentage of water in there system. *We have a dryer prior to the compressor and have changed the filters, AFTER we experienced the water issues...We had no issues till it started getting cold (N.E. Ohio). We started having freeze up at the point of connection and "of course" vehicles/forklifts not running well; if at all. On our 2012 (ecofuel conversion) E-350 box truck we removed at least 1.5 cup's of water/ice. The water destroyed the paper in-line filter between the tanks and engine, we blew ice crystals out of our lines as well as removed a lot of dirty water from our tanks; big mess! Everything is running great now. *We own 3 stations between Ohio and PA with 2 differant gas providers and only had the issues with one of the providers. We are going to test/meter the moisture level and advise our provider. In addition we are also entertaining the idea of additional dryers...
            I am also of victim of excessive water vapor in residential natural gas. I have independently invested in measuring equipment and developed test procedures, daily monitoring logs and so far this winter, I am 100% ahead of the problem. Last winter was not so good, and the years prior to that, well that's another story altogether. I have correspondences with the local utility which I have promised not to post, but there are many, many underground storage wells (low pressure, natural spaces) in Ohio and surrounding areas. They are 'wet' storage and need to be processed before conecting to home delivery. They don't always get things corrected in the necessary time frame and 99%+ of the customers never know about it, just those of us who try to compress it and drive with it. Oh yes, the Utility was aware of some of the issues, but not responsible to the end customer for anything. Their pipeline quality standards only apply to gas coming into their system according to the PUCO & regulators. Standards to the customer are for minimum BTU per MCF, and that spec is at 100% saturated with - water.
            '11 Fusion Bi Fuel & FMQ2-36 VRA
            (Former owner '09 Civic GX)

Comment

Working...
            X