Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need someone with extensive Contour Bi-Fuel experience.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need someone with extensive Contour Bi-Fuel experience.

First off, please hold the disdain for this Alt Fuel Vehicle. I've heard it all and have run three past 150k with proper care and preventative maintenance. My present steed was inadvertently hooked up backwards when it was jumped. Is there reverse voltage protection in the NG system and what/where is it. OR: is it instant death for the Compuvalve? The Green Light on the switch will not illuminate and the fuel gauge is pegged above the full mark.

Re: Need someone with extensive Contour Bi-Fuel experience.

How about some more info?

Does it start and run OK on gasoline?
    Year model?
    Battery condition?
    Fuses OK?
    Do the other 12VDC devices on the car work OK? (Radio, Fan, Wipers, PW, PDL, cruise control, etc.)

Most battery powered electronic devices are polarity protected, but not sure about the compuvalve.
    '13 Chev Silverado 2500 Ext Cab Factory Bi-Fuel
    '08 Green Tea Metallic GX
    FMQ-2-36 Fueler

Comment

Starts and runs like new / 1999 / One year old battery (lights got left on) / I need to review fuses in more detail but the power center master fuses confuse me because I can't figure how to get them out / The CNG fuses on the driver's shock tower look good / All electronics and electrics work fine except for the fuel gauge.

Comment

Originally posted by 24 Carat View Post
        Starts and runs like new / 1999 / One year old battery (lights got left on) / I need to review fuses in more detail but the power center master fuses confuse me because I can't figure how to get them out / The CNG fuses on the driver's shock tower look good / All electronics and electrics work fine except for the fuel gauge.
        I had this happen a few weeks back.

There are some fuses that control the CNG system on the engine side of the drivers side shock tower (think about it for a sec - basically if you lift up the hood, and stand next to the drivers side mirror and peek in under the hood, it is straight down). A 5 amp and a 3 amp on mine. The 3 amp fuse was blown on mine after a friend giving me a jump, reverse wired the cables to his battery.

On mine they had put the fuses inside a pair of rubbery/plastic covers, rather than stick them inside a box.

3 amp is kind of a weird one, so I ended up not finding them at walmart or target, had to go to ACE to get them, but your blown fuses may be different-- mine is a 1998 so it should be similar.

Comment

Originally posted by wjmilne View Post
          I had this happen a few weeks back.

There are some fuses that control the CNG system on the engine side of the drivers side shock tower (think about it for a sec - basically if you lift up the hood, and stand next to the drivers side mirror and peek in under the hood, it is straight down). A 5 amp and a 3 amp on mine. The 3 amp fuse was blown on mine after a friend giving me a jump, reverse wired the cables to his battery.

On mine they had put the fuses inside a pair of rubbery/plastic covers, rather than stick them inside a box.

3 amp is kind of a weird one, so I ended up not finding them at walmart or target, had to go to ACE to get them, but your blown fuses may be different-- mine is a 1998 so it should be similar.
          I am familiar with the fuses and had looked at them but it warrants a second look see. My problem right now is I haphazardly pulled them out when I looked at them and am in a quandary about which one goes where, 3 amp on top or bottom and visa versa with the 5 amp. Thanks in advance !

Comment

I have a 2004 with out a Compuvalve but mine has a Alternative Fuel Control Module (AFCM) and I would think yours would to, it is electronic and could be damaged. I have never seen a Compuvalve but it looks like just a bunch of solenoids and ports that would not be affected .

Comment

Actually the Compuvalve is a mix of computer circuitry, solenoids and several progressive stages of ports (as good a word as any) that take engine control sensor information and convert it into the proper NG flow appropriate for RPM and engine load. It can most certainly be fried by a reverse voltage spike and the CNG section of the owners manual notes this.

Comment

Working...
              X