PDA

View Full Version : Ford 2001 CNG Tank Leak

galactica
12-29-2010, 05:08 PM
Email to GFI
I have a problem with my van. It has four tanks. One in the back and three down under. The one in the back is the last one in the fuel chain. It has a GFI internal solenoid valve. Can I turn the allen screw down in this tank, as it is completely empty, and isolate it when I fill the other three? This caused a big deal at the local Mobil Station in West Bend, WI 53095. Fire and Police shut half the station down for 6 hours on Monday afternoon. Please email me specific info for these valves as neither your web site or Ford has any clue!!!!

Also, when the set screw is used does this ruin the valve from further use?

larrycng
12-29-2010, 06:38 PM
Terry, the purpose of the manual lock-down screw is to isolate the tank. Don't get too wild tightening the screw. The part on the screw is a plastic material and screws down on to a convex surface. It is designed to be re used. I believe it is up to the owner to use this valve; to isolate at cylinder, to stop a leaking solenoid valve or whatever. If you are trying to isolate the cylinder to prevent a leak at the tank threads, you ought to get leak fixed (if that is case) or remove the tank. The system needs to be inspected by a certified inspector.

If the valve is functioning properly it will isolate the cylinder and prevent filling or drawing fuel from the cylinder. If you are isolating it for safety reasons, in my opinion the fuel line should be removed from the tank in question, the fuel line capped and leak checked.

If the station was shut down because of someone detected an active leak, it should have been shut down until the source of the leak was determined.
Threre should be a picture of a cut-a-way valve on this web site -- I've posted it. I should have a service bulletin or something if I can find it

More later

Larrycng

larrycng
12-29-2010, 06:58 PM
Attached is what I have on GFI Valve -- from GFI. All three files make up the compete document.

Larrycng