PDA

View Full Version : States which have adopted NFPA-52 in regulations

John Mitton
12-06-2010, 05:27 PM
Hey gang,

I am trying to compile a list of states which have adopted NFPA 52 into state vehicle regulations. As we all know, FMVSS-304 carries the weight of federal law but it is not as comprehensive as NFPA-52.

Attached is the Texas regulation, which is enforced by the TX Railroad Commission. Texas has its CNG Safety Rules which closely meets NFPA 52, but not exactly. In some areas, they are far more comprehensive than 52. Texas is in the process of considering the adoption if NFPA 52, probably the 2010 edition, starting in 2011, with some exceptions.

Utah recently adopted NFPA 52 in House Bill 70 and requires CSA inspectors to certify the vehicle.
http://le.utah.gov/~2010/bills/hbillenr/hb0070.htm

Oklahoma incorporated NFPA 52 into the Oklahoma Alternative Fuels Act & Alternative Fuels Technician Certification Act Title 74. 130.1 130.24
http://www.cleanvehicle.org/committee/technical/PDFs/CVEF_2009_Technology_Committee.pdf

California has long adopted NFPA 52 by way of reference in TITLE 13, CALIFORNIA CODE OF REGULATIONS, DIVISION 2 CHAPTER 4, ARTICLE 2, SECTIONS 932 AND 934.1

Any others?

cngmike
12-06-2010, 10:52 PM
I have heard that NY has not only adopted NFPA 52 but has the strictest regulations bar none.

denise
02-02-2011, 01:12 PM
John,

Did you complete your compilation? I'm interested in your results. I'm currently researching the same issue and have found similar adoptions in Wisconsin, Michigan, and Minnesota.

John Mitton
02-02-2011, 10:25 PM
No, I have not spent any more time on this research. Please post here any detail you can find such as my previous post with some of each state's regulation chapter and verse, thanks!

Highmarker
02-27-2011, 09:46 PM
When exactly is this fire code enforced or verified? Upon the installation of all components for the conversion kit? or does each kit have to be "approved" by some magical entity before it can be sold on the open market? Further, is the cylinder included in this process? I have read NFPA-52 (once) and didnt really see anything regarding the cylinder. Does the cylinder manufacturer just have to build according to specs? or do they have to call the local fire marshall to look at each and every cylinders that leaves the factory?

I'm sure my gasoline powered car had to meet a similar standard, but the guys at Jiffy Lube dont inspect for anything like this during my emissions check.

In Utah, NFPA 52 is enforced during the annual safety inspection of the vehicle. A CNG (tank) vehicle must be inspected by a qualified inspector every 3 years or 36,000 miles (whichever comes first) or immediately following an accident or fire.

NFPA 52 does not govern the manufacturing of the tank. The specificaitons to which the tanks are manufactured are DOT FMVSS 304 and ANSI NGV2. In ANSI NGV2, it states that the tank should be installed per NFPA 52.

I am not sure about the conversion kits. The tanks are essentially stand alone items. They can be used with any kit.

digit
11-23-2011, 04:57 PM
I think that you should also determine which edition -as exampled by Calfiornia which is several editions behind- via the CHP

larrycng
11-23-2011, 06:10 PM
If you check the information below, CHP is required to inspect the vehicle in accordance with the version of NFPA 52 in effect at the time the vehicle was converter or (made in case of OEM production units). Having having trained the first 15 CHP motor carrier inspectors (about '02 or '03), the question came up. The bottom line was that if the installation did not present a safety hazard -- no problem

For what it worth

Larrycng

Barclays Official California Code of Regulations Currentness

Title 13. Motor Vehicles (Refs & Annos)

Division 2. Department of the California Highway Patrol

Chapter 4. Special Equipment

Article 2. Compressed and Liquefied Gas Fuel Systems

934.1. Compressed Natural Gas -NFPA Standard.

Fuel Systems using compressed natural gas (CNG) and installed after April 1, 1994, shall comply with the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) Standard 52 (NFPA 52) "Compressed Natural Gas Vehicular Fuel Systems Code," or NFPA 52 "Vehicular Fuel Systems Code," in effect at the time of installation. Compressed natural gas fuel systems installed before April 1, 1994, shall comply with either that standard or with Sections 934 and 936 of this title. Additionally, whenever the word "should" appears in NFPA 52, it shall be understood to set forth mandatory requirements.

(a) Approval -NFPA 52 specifies that certain systems and components shall be approved as being acceptable to the authority having jurisdiction. The Department of California Highway Patrol has jurisdiction over these regulations but does not approve individual systems or components. Users and installers are responsible for use of proper components and for their proper installation as specified in the NFPA Standard.

(b) Exceptions -The Department of California Highway Patrol has no authority over CNG storage, dispensing or compression facilities addressed in the NFPA standard.

Rickinokc
11-29-2011, 05:01 PM
So in a state like Ok. a certified installer can convert just about any vehicle with any kit as long as they are within NFPA-52 regs?

joe_kan
11-30-2011, 10:49 AM
I'm not aware of any Kansas Statutes or Regulations adopting NFPA-52 or dealing specifically with NGVs. I looked through the State Statutes and State Fire Marshall Regulations and could not find anything. Just as a note - not a lot of NGVs in Kansas.

With that said:

Not saying NFPA-52 is not good safety practice, however, the thing that gets me is the fact that the gasoline/diesel vehicles are the ones that cause all the vehicle fires (I've put statistics on this forum before supporting this) yet they do not have the same scrutiny - government (federal, other states) double standards again!

300mileclub
04-09-2012, 10:26 PM
Dick Kauling includes a great overview slide on page 9 of his Oct 2011 presentation in San Francisco:

http://www1.eere.energy.gov/cleancities/pdfs/ngvtf11_kauling.pdf