PDA

View Full Version : stainless

cowboy
02-22-2009, 06:40 PM
is there a requirment that stainless be used for high side fuel lines I just picked up a converted chevy pu very nice job but steel tubing 16000 burst I dont see why this would be bad but everyone uses stainless just wondering and stainless looks better:)

larrycng
02-22-2009, 07:44 PM
I ask that question of one of the individuals that is on the NFPA 52 committee and said he didn't think that stainless was required. NFPA 52 tells you what materials you can't use in certain locations. With the exception of section 4.8.2 (2006) which requires tubing have safety factor of 3 (a burst pressure of 3 times the service pressure), and is counterdicted by 4.10.2 (2006) which requires a safety factor of 4, there is no requirement for stainless steel. I, don't know if the "3" is a miss print or not. I do know that throughtout the various revisions since 1992, there has always been a requirement for tubing to have a minium burst pressure of at least 4 times the system service pressure.

Buuuuut, after looking at some of the "off shore" conversion kits that supply high pressue tubing that meets ISO standards, which are required in most of the world; I like stainless. The supplied tubing is a steel tubing with a plastic covering. If the covering is breeched, I believe that rust will set in quickly; that won't happen with stainless. I have seen some careless installations using the "off shore" tubing that have damaged the covering. Also, I like the double ferrul fitting (hoke, Swageloc, etc), they seem to provide greater holding capability and better resealing capabiliy. And, stainless sure looks pretty.

If there is any question as to what is personal opinion and what is regulation, please let me know.

Larrycng

freedml
02-23-2009, 11:41 AM
Are there really significant cost savings of these other tubing systems vs. stainless?

larrycng
02-23-2009, 08:55 PM
Are there really significant cost savings of these other tubing systems vs. stainless?

Haven't priced them out. I started with stainless and after looking at the covered stuff, I think I'll stay with the stainless. I've never seen it go bad in 15 years. I've seen damage to the coverning on the other stuff and could probably repair the damaged covering (without using duct tape :rolleyes:) so that it would be very serviceable and safe. I still fear rust, especially in areas near the coast (salt air) and where salt is used for snow removal. I don't believe the covered stuff has been in service in this country to make any real determination. Until I see some of the covered stuff with several years of service, I'll error on the side of safety. My personal experience and perference

But stainless looks soooo pretty :D.

Larrycng

cowboy
02-24-2009, 02:12 PM
the stuff on this chevy looks like brake line 3/16 it is in exlanant shape and dont leak guess I will leave it on:)